E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > another 335d power loss question

04-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
wd040
Rep
Drives: not sure yet

another 335d power loss question

Hi people, sorry I'm prob posting in the wrong place but I need some,
My 08 335d has a loss in power if I give it the full beans for too long? She has been mapped by dms a few months ago but has been fine, if I apply full throttle for 2nd into 3rd she's fine but from 3rd into 4th she dies and feels like a 318d! No smoke or warning lights on the dash and she runs fine but its like I've lost my turbos? If I turn her off then on again and drive normally she's fine again until I ask for full power for more than 10 secounds or so? I've owned the car for 25months and has full BMW history with 38k on the clock with extended BMW warrenty. Any thoughts please?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Most likely to be a actuator, its common for these things to fail. Ive had mine fail and replaced by local garage. What I found was up to 3k revs there was nothing - I swear I could run faster than foot flat top the floor. Once it hit 3k revs the bigger turbo would kick in and off I went.

I had the actuator replaced on mine and all was fine.
If you can try and get the fault code read if you have the equipment if not then garage/dealer job
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 04:22 AM   #3
wd040
Rep
Drives: not sure yet

The strange thing is that it appears to loose both turbos after a spell of full power? She does not like pulling more than 4k once the boost falls away?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
Martin80k
Rep
n/a
Drives:

hey mistryn, does failed actuator show up on diagnostic results?
as i mentioned, i had no fault code at bmw dealer, so I am helpless and still did not find garage that i would go to.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

When the actuator went on mine the guy at the garage did say it came up as a fault
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Martin80k
Rep
n/a
Drives:

hey mistryn, i was speaking with another technican today and it is even worst, since he said that i have possibly the worst fault, since it can be just anything, starting with swirl flaps to the hoses, egr's or enything, but I doubt that as some of those things wouls show on diagnostics i believe and this is what it is to deal with local technicians, and he even said, he don't wanna do it, since it is many hours, and even engine out.
my question is however,
is actuator actually the pressure converter? or it's a different thing. if so, do you have a part number please?
have u had any issues with swirl flaps? i've heard, it is recommended that everybody remove them to be safe from engine damage, once they fail.
here is the useful website: http://www.swirlflaps.co.uk/
i was calling them today, and they said, my car has them 11/2006 335d, but they can go in 2 different sizes, and it is dead cheap, about 7 pounds per piece.
Appreciate 0