E90Post
 


E92 Lighting
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is this normal?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Th3xf4ctor's Avatar
11
Rep
545
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 335I  [0.00]
Is this normal?

First of all, I've taken the car in once and then have said that this is normal, which I clearly believe to be BS. It's getting to the point where it has the potential to cause a severe accident.


Problem:

Couple of months ago I noticed that anytime I hit a divot in the road or go over a bump that leads to a drainage area (weird Texas road construction), the wheel (steering) and the actual wheels that touch the road jerk in either the right or left direction forcing me to have to correct. Now, obviously when going at higher speeds this has the possibly to have the car just veer in some random direction.

When driving on roads that look to be lumpy (best way to describe it), the car does the same thing and the steering wheel and actual wheels pull left and right and i constantly have to correct so that I am traveling straight.


What might this problem be? Please tell me I'm not smoking crack and that this shouldn't happen like I believe.
__________________
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive

2007 328i Coupe Sport/Matte Black Kidney's/3M Tint----Lemon'ed
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
133
Rep
2,012
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NJ/Philadelphia Suburbs

iTrader: (1)

Do you have Active Steering? Maybe a sensor or something. I'm currently learning a lot about AS since my buddy is having some weird issues with his.
__________________
Black Sapphire 6MT-JB4 G5 ISO-BMS DCI-Golf-Tee Mod-Hankook S1N2 Non-RFT-ER Chargepipe/TiAL BOV-E40 blend-VRSF V2's-M3 CDV
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
Douche
Banned
325
Rep
1,983
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
First of all, I've taken the car in once and then have said that this is normal, which I clearly believe to be BS. It's getting to the point where it has the potential to cause a severe accident.


Problem:

Couple of months ago I noticed that anytime I hit a divot in the road or go over a bump that leads to a drainage area (weird Texas road construction), the wheel (steering) and the actual wheels that touch the road jerk in either the right or left direction forcing me to have to correct. Now, obviously when going at higher speeds this has the possibly to have the car just veer in some random direction.

When driving on roads that look to be lumpy (best way to describe it), the car does the same thing and the steering wheel and actual wheels pull left and right and i constantly have to correct so that I am traveling straight.


What might this problem be? Please tell me I'm not smoking crack and that this shouldn't happen like I believe.
How long have you owned the vehicle?
(Attempting to assess you are, in fact, smoking crack)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:35 PM   #4
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Th3xf4ctor's Avatar
11
Rep
545
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335NJ View Post
Do you have Active Steering? Maybe a sensor or something. I'm currently learning a lot about AS since my buddy is having some weird issues with his.
I do not have active steering. I have the M-sport package which has the sport suspension.
__________________
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive

2007 328i Coupe Sport/Matte Black Kidney's/3M Tint----Lemon'ed
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:36 PM   #5
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Th3xf4ctor's Avatar
11
Rep
545
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douche View Post
How long have you owned the vehicle?
(Attempting to assess you are, in fact, smoking crack)
Owned the vehicle since new on July 9, 2011. Was picked up in Munich. Seems it began to get worse since I moved to Texas....Texas
__________________
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive

2007 328i Coupe Sport/Matte Black Kidney's/3M Tint----Lemon'ed
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #6
Douche
Banned
325
Rep
1,983
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
Owned the vehicle since new on July 9, 2011. Was picked up in Munich. Seems it began to get worse since I moved to Texas....Texas
OIC. I asked because mine actually feels a lot heavy when going through a bad road. First car in which I experience this. I do not have active steering, but I related to having the Sport Suspension, as you do.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #7
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Th3xf4ctor's Avatar
11
Rep
545
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douche View Post
OIC. I asked because mine actually feels a lot heavy when going through a bad road. First car in which I experience this. I do not have active steering, but I related to having the Sport Suspension, as you do.
OIC? I know my steering is "hard" , but that is due to hydraulic steering which I love because I can feel when I'm losing the car.
__________________
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive

2007 328i Coupe Sport/Matte Black Kidney's/3M Tint----Lemon'ed
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
Douche
Banned
325
Rep
1,983
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
OIC? I know my steering is "hard" , but that is due to hydraulic steering which I love because I can feel when I'm losing the car.
Oh I See. OIC.

I wasn't talking about it being "hard" as in heavy. And you're wrong, it's not because it's hydraulic, many hydraulic power steering cars have a much lighter steering.

I was referring to it being hard as in it tries to pull and veer to the sides where lumps on the road are, which is what I thought your post was about, but now I just think you're trolling... So stop with the pipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:45 PM   #9
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Th3xf4ctor's Avatar
11
Rep
545
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douche View Post
Oh I See. OIC.

I wasn't talking about it being "hard" as in heavy. And you're wrong, it's not because it's hydraulic, many hydraulic power steering cars have a much lighter steering.

I was referring to it being hard as in it tries to pull and veer to the sides where lumps on the road are, which is what I thought your post was about, but now I just think you're trolling... So stop with the pipe.
Not trolling. I always thought the heavier steering was due to hydraulic steering.

Please explain OIC. And lumps in the road due pull and make the car veer a lot.
__________________
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive

2007 328i Coupe Sport/Matte Black Kidney's/3M Tint----Lemon'ed
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #10
onlyabloke
That's not gone well...
onlyabloke's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
321
Posts

Drives: 2010 AW E90 328i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Central/South Jersey

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Could be grooves in the road.

There's a few roads on my way to work that I have to be careful on because the steering will pull into a certain direction. I know for a fact that my issue is indeed the roads because it happens in the same spots every time and no where else.

Just a thought.
__________________

2010 AW E90 N51 328i //Build Thread // Flickr
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #11
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
133
Rep
2,012
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NJ/Philadelphia Suburbs

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
Not trolling. I always thought the heavier steering was due to hydraulic steering.

Please explain OIC. And lumps in the road due pull and make the car veer a lot.
OIC = Oh I See
__________________
Black Sapphire 6MT-JB4 G5 ISO-BMS DCI-Golf-Tee Mod-Hankook S1N2 Non-RFT-ER Chargepipe/TiAL BOV-E40 blend-VRSF V2's-M3 CDV
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:49 PM   #12
Gizm0
Lieutenant Colonel
Gizm0's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
1,769
Posts

Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryshortbloke View Post
Could be grooves in the road.

There's a few roads on my way to work that I have to be careful on because the steering will pull into a certain direction. I know for a fact that my issue is indeed the roads because it happens in the same spots every time and no where else.

Just a thought.
Same here... There is one spot on a slight curvy road where the car will always pull to the right. Only happens in the e92, never did it in any other car.
__________________
mtec AE - Paintend Side Markers - Aero Lip - 35% tint - BMW Rear Deck Spoiler - JB4 - VRSF 3" DP - BMS DCI - ER CP - Tial BOV
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #13
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Th3xf4ctor's Avatar
11
Rep
545
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryshortbloke View Post
Could be grooves in the road.

There's a few roads on my way to work that I have to be careful on because the steering will pull into a certain direction. I know for a fact that my issue is indeed the roads because it happens in the same spots every time and no where else.

Just a thought.
I mean it definitely happens in the same areas, or areas that i expect, I just would never think the suspension would be allow to pull that hard.
__________________
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive

2007 328i Coupe Sport/Matte Black Kidney's/3M Tint----Lemon'ed
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 08:55 PM   #14
onlyabloke
That's not gone well...
onlyabloke's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
321
Posts

Drives: 2010 AW E90 328i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Central/South Jersey

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
I mean it definitely happens in the same areas, or areas that i expect, I just would never think the suspension would be allow to pull that hard.
The suspension can only do so much. When the wheels get into the grooves, it's like you're putting the car on tracks, it'll follow because it's the path of least resistance. That creates the pull that you find yourself correcting, even the best suspension will still follow tracks.
__________________

2010 AW E90 N51 328i //Build Thread // Flickr
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 09:07 PM   #15
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Th3xf4ctor's Avatar
11
Rep
545
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryshortbloke View Post
The suspension can only do so much. When the wheels get into the grooves, it's like you're putting the car on tracks, it'll follow because it's the path of least resistance. That creates the pull that you find yourself correcting, even the best suspension will still follow tracks.

appreciate the explanation.
__________________
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive

2007 328i Coupe Sport/Matte Black Kidney's/3M Tint----Lemon'ed
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #16
onlyabloke
That's not gone well...
onlyabloke's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
321
Posts

Drives: 2010 AW E90 328i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Central/South Jersey

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
appreciate the explanation.
No problem.

Just be sure to always monitor it and if something doesn't feel right, you know your car best.
__________________

2010 AW E90 N51 328i //Build Thread // Flickr
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 11:37 PM   #17
Rick F.
Major
Rick F.'s Avatar
154
Rep
1,341
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Th3xf4ctor,

Does your car have run-flat tires and, if so, are they fairly worn? RFT's in general, and worn ones especially, are very subject to "tramlining," where the tires will pull strongly in reaction to crowned road surfaces, bumps, rain grooves, etc. It can be downright scary.

If your tires aren't the issue, then it's probably time for an alignment and a careful inspection of the suspension bushings. A little bit of toe-out can cause a lot of instability. Worn bushings could allow significant changes in the suspension pivot points with corresponding effects on alignment and stability.

Oh, one other point: Run-flat tire issues generally develop gradually over time as the tread wears down. Alignment and bushing problems can occur all of a sudden as a result of clobbering a pothole. If your problem developed abruptly, I'd guess it's more likely to be an alignment issue caused by a road hazard.

Good luck tracking this down--and let us know what you find.

Rick F.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2015, 11:48 PM   #18
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Th3xf4ctor's Avatar
11
Rep
545
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F.
Th3xf4ctor,

Does your car have run-flat tires and, if so, are they fairly worn? RFT's in general, and worn ones especially, are very subject to "tramlining," where the tires will pull strongly in reaction to crowned road surfaces, bumps, rain grooves, etc. It can be downright scary.

If your tires aren't the issue, then it's probably time for an alignment and a careful inspection of the suspension bushings. A little bit of toe-out can cause a lot of instability. Worn bushings could allow significant changes in the suspension pivot points with corresponding effects on alignment and stability.

Oh, one other point: Run-flat tire issues generally develop gradually over time as the tread wears down. Alignment and bushing problems can occur all of a sudden as a result of clobbering a pothole. If your problem developed abruptly, I'd guess it's more likely to be an alignment issue caused by a road hazard.

Good luck tracking this down--and let us know what you find.

Rick F.
This sounds like it could be my issue. I am getting ready for new tires. On original potenza tires with roughly 18k on them. The issue has define fly gotten gradually worse. I'm already planning on going with non run flats for my next tire, but what you mentioned is very interesting.
__________________
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive

2007 328i Coupe Sport/Matte Black Kidney's/3M Tint----Lemon'ed
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 12:03 AM   #19
W37V
Second Lieutenant
United_States
10
Rep
208
Posts

Drives: E92 N52 6SP
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: DC Metro

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
Th3xf4ctor,

Does your car have run-flat tires and, if so, are they fairly worn? RFT's in general, and worn ones especially, are very subject to "tramlining," where the tires will pull strongly in reaction to crowned road surfaces, bumps, rain grooves, etc. It can be downright scary.

If your tires aren't the issue, then it's probably time for an alignment and a careful inspection of the suspension bushings. A little bit of toe-out can cause a lot of instability. Worn bushings could allow significant changes in the suspension pivot points with corresponding effects on alignment and stability.

Oh, one other point: Run-flat tire issues generally develop gradually over time as the tread wears down. Alignment and bushing problems can occur all of a sudden as a result of clobbering a pothole. If your problem developed abruptly, I'd guess it's more likely to be an alignment issue caused by a road hazard.

Good luck tracking this down--and let us know what you find.

Rick F.
This +1000

Had same issue. Replaced rft and issue disappeared
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2015, 05:03 PM   #20
Rick F.
Major
Rick F.'s Avatar
154
Rep
1,341
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
This sounds like it could be my issue. I am getting ready for new tires. On original potenza tires with roughly 18k on them. The issue has define fly gotten gradually worse. I'm already planning on going with non run flats for my next tire, but what you mentioned is very interesting.
Th3xf4ctor,

If you consider staying with run-flat tires, I had really good luck with the Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position RFT's I put on my 2006 Z4. They're a "third generation" run flat, designed to provide a much better ride and minimal "tramlining" while still retaining the run-flat capability. (See Tire Rack Test.) They are all-season tires, however, and not nearly as sporty as some other tires. They were fine for my purposes.

Rick F.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #21
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Th3xf4ctor's Avatar
11
Rep
545
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW E90 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 335I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
This sounds like it could be my issue. I am getting ready for new tires. On original potenza tires with roughly 18k on them. The issue has define fly gotten gradually worse. I'm already planning on going with non run flats for my next tire, but what you mentioned is very interesting.
Th3xf4ctor,

If you consider staying with run-flat tires, I had really good luck with the Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position RFT's I put on my 2006 Z4. They're a "third generation" run flat, designed to provide a much better ride and minimal "tramlining" while still retaining the run-flat capability. (See Tire Rack Test.) They are all-season tires, however, and not nearly as sporty as some other tires. They were fine for my purposes.

Rick F.
I really do despise my Bridgestone potenza tires. Who the hell makes a tire with tread depth of 140
__________________
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive

2007 328i Coupe Sport/Matte Black Kidney's/3M Tint----Lemon'ed
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #22
W37V
Second Lieutenant
United_States
10
Rep
208
Posts

Drives: E92 N52 6SP
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: DC Metro

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
I really do despise my Bridgestone potenza tires. Who the hell makes a tire with tread depth of 140
What are you talking about? Are these metric measurements of some sorts?
They are all 10/32" or 11/32"

Also, their UTQG is at least 260.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:59 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST