E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > Starting a website?

04-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
AllBlackBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2008 328i E90

Starting a website?

(this website has helped my much with my BMW, now I hope can point me in the right direction of something completely different)

Long story short... I have an idea for a website that I would like to create.

I have no idea how to create a website or script writing or coding or whatever it is called that "writes" the webpage and how it actually works.

I have a full-time job already and am not looking for this to replace that...

I just think I have a decent idea, and with some funding and the right web developer could get the site to the point of marketing it for-sale.

I've read up on some things and realize "just having the idea" is about as good as ice cubes on the sun - worthless - the actual money is in a tangible product that can be seen, heard, and used.

I know what my end goals would be, but have no idea how to get there...

I know nothing about writing computer codes
I know nothing about website design and web marketing
I am not sure "exactly" how the web advertising makes money
How does one incorporate things like Facebook and Twitter if they are owned by someone else?
Obviously funding this is expensive - hiring people to create the site, marketing, advertising, etc...

Many of my questions are very ignorant, so any help, or suggestions would be awesome.

I know there are some start-up sites out there, that you can "pitch" an idea out to get others to invest into your idea, but what is the best site for this and how does one not have his idea stole before it gets made?

I have 100's of other questions but figured this was a start.

Thanks guys!
      04-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep

Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [4.25]
2005 M3  [5.00]
2005 325i  [4.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [4.50]
What kind of website are you looking to create? A store? A "Mission Statement?"
      04-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
AllBlackBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2008 328i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@UnitedBMW View Post
What kind of website are you looking to create? A store? A "Mission Statement?"
Yea sorry, i guess that info would be helpful.

I would not be selling anything, or promoting anything.

It would be a website based upon consumer products though.
      04-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
It depends on what you're really getting into.

Databases that collect (by user input), store (in the database), and display (on the page) information can take time to create. If you have no knowledge of it (I don't either, I just know they exist), you're better off getting someone to do it for you. A basic site to just display information is pretty simple, and in all honesty you can probably teach yourself the stuff in a short time.

When I was in late grade school and high school I was super interested. Taught myself some basic HTML and DHTML coding. Was always interested in PHP and MySQL databasing too, but never taught myself as it was pretty advanced at the time. As I grew out of it in college and chose a different major, I stopped doing it completely. Complete mind dump, so I couldn't do it now probably unless I gave myself a refresher.

You might be able to find some young college student or something looking to make a few extra bucks to help you with a decent website
      04-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
Gdubz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 Crimson Red 135i

Send a message via AIM to Gdubz
Recently switched careers from graphic design to intranet administrator (basically managing the internal website of my company). I know a fair bit of scripting but not as familiar with the database side of things. If I felt more confident that I could, I would totally offer to help.

However, if you want to try and tackle this on your own, I suggest looking into:
  • Reserving your domain name(s)
  • Finding a good/affordable host
  • Using a popular content management system (CMS) such as Wordpress, Drupal, or Joomla

Using a CMS can help make configuring and maintaining your page a lot simpler, though they're not quite as unique as a custom-made site might be.