E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New owner of 320D =) but i need help =(



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Miss Cat
Private First Class
4

 
Drives: 55 320D SE
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK


Posts: 108
iTrader: (0)

Red face New owner of 320D =) but i need help =(

Hi guys/gals!!

I am the proud owner of a 55 320D!!! lovely black SE version, could not afford a M-sport =(

I ran it through a service today and the lovely garage said i need front discs,pads and rear discs and pads!! =*(

They have quoted me inc labour, using Pagid discs, pads and sensors, 190 for the fronts and 180 for the rears, does that sound reasonable?

I ask this because i was looking through the forum and found a site called eurocarparts offering 25% off parts?? i had a play around, not sure if i selected the right parts =P but it came to about 100 for just the parts. How many sensors do i need back and front??

On top of this when i bought the car the key fob locked the car all okay but for some reason it does not lock it anymore so garage said i need to take it to BMW to let them diagnosis the problem but warned me it be expensive =( anyone experienced this before??

All in all im a happy-ish owner as these parts are just standards things that need changing....sorry to be so long winded...im a little clueless when it comes to cars =(

Miss Cat xxx
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
wallsmk2
Second Lieutenant
3

 
Drives: e91 325i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: exeter


Posts: 255
iTrader: (0)

It may be the key fob needs charging so stick it in the hole for a bit I reckon. Others will be able to advise though.

Getting parts your self is usually the cheaper route. Just ask the garage you're using if they mind fitting your parts then give eurocarparts a bell to check you've got the right ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
lm_gauci
New Member
1

 
Drives: 320d M Sport Touring
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Middlesex


Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

When i bought my car from bmw they had a sign up advertising prices for servicing and brakes etc. Cant remember it exactly but pretty sure they weren't too badly priced. Might be worth popping in and seeing what they say.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Raj59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
73

 
Raj59's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 LCI 525i M Sport Auto
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Leicestershire


Posts: 4,863
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm_gauci View Post
When i bought my car from bmw they had a sign up advertising prices for servicing and brakes etc. Cant remember it exactly but pretty sure they weren't too badly priced. Might be worth popping in and seeing what they say.
That might be for their value service, which I think is for the E39, E46 and maybe E53.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Jay2301
Private
0

 
Drives: 2008 325i m sport
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: leicester UK


Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cat View Post
Hi guys/gals!!

I am the proud owner of a 55 320D!!! lovely black SE version, could not afford a M-sport =(

I ran it through a service today and the lovely garage said i need front discs,pads and rear discs and pads!! =*(

They have quoted me inc labour, using Pagid discs, pads and sensors, 190 for the fronts and 180 for the rears, does that sound reasonable?

I ask this because i was looking through the forum and found a site called eurocarparts offering 25% off parts?? i had a play around, not sure if i selected the right parts =P but it came to about 100 for just the parts. How many sensors do i need back and front??

On top of this when i bought the car the key fob locked the car all okay but for some reason it does not lock it anymore so garage said i need to take it to BMW to let them diagnosis the problem but warned me it be expensive =( anyone experienced this before??

All in all im a happy-ish owner as these parts are just standards things that need changing....sorry to be so long winded...im a little clueless when it comes to cars =(

Miss Cat xxx
Hi,
The price for brakes sounds about right to me (assuming its inc vat)...
also you only need two sensors (one for front wheels one for back).

As for your central locking problem, check the fuse isnt blown (could be something that simple)..

If not these cars can suffer from door actuator failures so could be that.
But you'll have to take it to an indy specialist or BMW to get diagnosed.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
208

 
makkan00's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 330D
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex


Posts: 7,385
iTrader: (48)

Don't rush to do anything yet.

Why did you take your car to garage? Is there any inidication on OBC that your brakes need replacing?
Read about CBS (condition based servicing), understand it, and review if you really need brakes pads & discs?

About they key, it get charged when you drive it. It should be charged when you drive it for sometime and should not give you any trouble. How about other key?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
181

 
rogerxp's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stockport, Cheshire


Posts: 5,923
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj59 View Post
That might be for their value service, which I think is for the E39, E46 and maybe E53.
Think it's an age thing so maybe early E9x's are able to benefit. Would need to check with the dealer.
__________________
Current -: MW E92 M3 Competition Pack / Qashqai+2 Tekna 1.6dci
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
katie.g
woman with spanners
United Kingdom
11

 
Drives: e91
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: cheshire


Posts: 105
iTrader: (0)

hi Miss Cat

i did my own front discs and pads on my old 55 320d, if i remember right the parts although non genuine bmw cost over 150, so if a garage is going to do them for you at 190 its a good price, i re- used the old sensors which many would advise against but mine were fine

make sure you really do need them though, see if you have a lip at the edge of the disc, just for a basic indication, you will be able to see through the holes in your wheels. mine lasted over 80k in an automatic, whereby you do tend to drag your brakes a fair bit more than in a manual

enjoy your new 320 theyre really good

best wishes, Katherine
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
katie.g
woman with spanners
United Kingdom
11

 
Drives: e91
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: cheshire


Posts: 105
iTrader: (0)

meant to ask, whats your mileage

the rear discs do little work and therefore last much longer than the fronts, i'm surpised the garage say you need front and rear

kathy
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
katie.g
woman with spanners
United Kingdom
11

 
Drives: e91
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: cheshire


Posts: 105
iTrader: (0)

fuses first place i'd try to sort out your locks, there is a fuse which protects solely the locking circuit

the key fobs do charge while you are driving, so remember to use your spare key regularly too to keep it topped up

Last edited by katie.g; 04-19-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
Soootylad
Private First Class
United Kingdom
13

 
Soootylad's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 330D M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Staffordshire


Posts: 146
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The fobs recharge when plugged in? Everyday's a school day
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
Miss Cat
Private First Class
4

 
Drives: 55 320D SE
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK


Posts: 108
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie.g View Post
fuses first place i'd try to sort out your locks, there is a fuse which protects solely the locking circuit

the key fobs do charge while you are driving, so remember to use your spare key regularly too to keep it topped up
Thanks for your help Katie!

In the end bought my own parts for 90.00 so saved a lot of money =)

Unfortunately my locking button on the FOB still doesnt work, im out of ideas as i have checked the fuses and charged it for a while now =(

The car only came with one key =(
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
43

 
Matrez's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester


Posts: 540
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Cat View Post
Thanks for your help Katie!

In the end bought my own parts for 90.00 so saved a lot of money =)

Unfortunately my locking button on the FOB still doesnt work, im out of ideas as i have checked the fuses and charged it for a while now =(

The car only came with one key =(
Hey Miss Cat,

Thats a very good price at 90 for all the parts, where did you buy it from ?
The cheapest I could find for all in is here :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E90-E9...item1c24f01264

160 for F&R discs, F&R pads and F&R sensors Still expensive

If you visit some garages the cheapest you could find to change all of the parts would be around 60-80, but it is not that hard to change yourself if you know what and where It took me a few long hours when I changed mines the very first time on my E46 a few years ago I am not a mechanic so suppose wasnt that bad, but the biggest mistake I made was when taking rear discs off I was hammering it off haha - if you let the hand brake off the disc rotates and through the bolt hole you can find little gear wheel so you can turn it with a flat screw driver and loosen the hand brake pads inside the dics

Best of luck,

Mat.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #14
dopper99
Brigadier General
England
102

 
dopper99's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335d M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK


Posts: 4,176
iTrader: (1)

With regard to the locking - I had a problem with my old 330d just after I bought it back in 09. It would lock but not unlock. Called BMW Assist and they said there are 2 fuses - 1 for opening the doors and 1 for closing. Make sure you check both.

I wouldnt mind so much but I only had the car 2 days

When the BMW dealer looked at my fault they said the fuse was just on its limit and BMW themselves recommended a slighter higher rated fuse.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
Miss Cat
Private First Class
4

 
Drives: 55 320D SE
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK


Posts: 108
iTrader: (0)

thanks matz and dopper for the advice! i bought PAGID parts from ecp, they had a 30% sale on =)

dopper - how much did bmw charge u to look at the fault??

Ive checked all fuses related to the central locking in the glovebox and none are 'snapped' =( i hate not being able to lock to car via the FOB and to have to lock the car by taking out the car each time =(
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #16
B005T3D-G
Class Leading Reprobate
Scotland
15

 
B005T3D-G's Avatar
 
Drives: Impreza STi - E92 335i (56)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mintlaw, Scotland


Posts: 421
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Main 'Stealer' diagnostic will be around the 75 quid mark IIRC
__________________
E92 335i | 6 Speed manual | BMS 4xLED Halo Bulbs | JB4 (waiting to be installed) | BMW Performance Gloss Black Grills | BMW Performance Exhaust | Smoked side Repeaters
Aero Front Lip | M3 Lip Spoiler |19" Cades Tyrus 'Gunmetal' with polished lips | Falken FK452 Rubber
........... More to come
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #17
Miss Cat
Private First Class
4

 
Drives: 55 320D SE
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: UK


Posts: 108
iTrader: (0)

ouchies =( but guess its gonna be done =( hmmm wonder is bmw independent specialists can help....

Miss Cat xxx
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST