E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Vin Is Faulty coapi2020 ifh0009

12-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #23
guwakjai010
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorkor View Post
Which cable did you buy? I need to get one for my 2011.
i found one on Ebay.... on the picture its literally said 2008-2012.... its one of the more expensive cables.... they are about 100 bucks.... USUALLY (but not always) the more expensive ones are the one that can code 08 and up
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #24
rorkor
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 N52 6MT

Garage List
2010 E70 X5 35d  [10.00]
2011 E90 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by guwakjai010 View Post
i found one on Ebay.... on the picture its literally said 2008-2012.... its one of the more expensive cables.... they are about 100 bucks.... USUALLY (but not always) the more expensive ones are the one that can code 08 and up
Thanks, gonna shop this weekend for it. I have some electrical engineering experience so it all looks pretty straight forward.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #25
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cinderella: 2008 E91 328xi

Same-o, Same-o.
Thanks to Rich, I now have a working VM image () - I was trying to use MS-Virtual PC and that was giving me all sorts of crazy errors. VM is far more robust and the image seems to be working perfectly with the cable now.

Problem now points very strongly to the cable, as a result however - consistently getting "ifh-0009" errors for everything, still cannot talk to car. Cable however seems to respond to requests - RED when I first plug it into the PC, GREEN FLASHES on PC (INPA or NCS) requests, OFF in-between. So in NCS or INPA, when I trigger a read request, cable flashes green for 1-2 seconds then I get my dreaded error and the cable goes dark. Subsequent requests still wake the cable up to flash green, but error persists. This suggests to me the VM interface to the cable is working fine and the cable is responding to the VM request... but not handling the reply? I tried pin 7,8 connected and not connected also - no difference.

I dunno. Bummed out. Working up the courage to buy another (more expensive) cable as that seems to be working for others.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #26
guwakjai010
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmerMeUp View Post
Same-o, Same-o.
Thanks to Rich, I now have a working VM image () - I was trying to use MS-Virtual PC and that was giving me all sorts of crazy errors. VM is far more robust and the image seems to be working perfectly with the cable now.

Problem now points very strongly to the cable, as a result however - consistently getting "ifh-0009" errors for everything, still cannot talk to car. Cable however seems to respond to requests - RED when I first plug it into the PC, GREEN FLASHES on PC (INPA or NCS) requests, OFF in-between. So in NCS or INPA, when I trigger a read request, cable flashes green for 1-2 seconds then I get my dreaded error and the cable goes dark. Subsequent requests still wake the cable up to flash green, but error persists. This suggests to me the VM interface to the cable is working fine and the cable is responding to the VM request... but not handling the reply? I tried pin 7,8 connected and not connected also - no difference.

I dunno. Bummed out. Working up the courage to buy another (more expensive) cable as that seems to be working for others.
thats exactly what happened to me... i bought a 40 dollar cable.... everything seemed to worked and software and VMware was working correctly, didnt work on my car but when i went to my friends 07, it worked, so that tells me my cable wasn't for 08+ which uses a different communication protocol.... so i bought a more expensive cable that was 98 dollars that said it was for 08+ and then it worked...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #27
BmerMeUp
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cinderella: 2008 E91 328xi

Update for this thread: I was shipped a replacement cable from the same company who gave me the original one, except I received a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CABLE... which worked first try. Fyi.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788664
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 01:45 AM   #28
Najt
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 325D 2008

I have similiar problem. My prog.files:

* Ediabas 7.3.0, Inpa ea90x, NCSe 3.1.0, daten v.49 (daten and sgdat in ncse, ecu copied to ediabias/ecu
* ini files are configured properly
* Cable is from one-stop shop

I can read and code any ECU, but not TCUM. I always get error:
Error in CABD! Look at CABI.ERR and ERROR.LOG!
COAPI-2020: no answer from ECU
IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT

does it mean that the ECU is dead?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 02:55 AM   #29
pweber84
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Najt View Post
I have similiar problem. My prog.files:

* Ediabas 7.3.0, Inpa ea90x, NCSe 3.1.0, daten v.49 (daten and sgdat in ncse, ecu copied to ediabias/ecu
* ini files are configured properly
* Cable is from one-stop shop

I can read and code any ECU, but not TCUM. I always get error:
Error in CABD! Look at CABI.ERR and ERROR.LOG!
COAPI-2020: no answer from ECU
IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT

does it mean that the ECU is dead?
Are you sure that you have TCUM?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 04:21 AM   #30
Najt
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 325D 2008

It has to be there. I have paired once my mobile with the car. But it could not read the phonebook. But I've tried to make test call and it was perfect.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #31
gwspecter
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuc View Post
Clear all contents from .MAN file after each vehicle.
Mine shows no .Man files (possibly because the software hasn't been used on any car yet.

After researching the two errors the inpaexpert is returning..

a) COAPI-2020 (does not respond)
and
b) IFH-0009 (Connectivity issues)

which means it's highly possible poor quality d-can cables will not have the right connections, or even software (possibly the ports need to be adjusted, or bad drivers for cable).

Will be checking each and post solution to mine when i find out.

[ UPDATE : ]

After checking the drivers in the command line, i found the cable wasn't working due to needing a bridge between 8 and 7 to read. But once getting a read the cables the error codes persist.

After reading the comments on this youtube video, People were saying buying a better quality cable was the issue. It seems the drivers on poor quality cables only read on some bmw's and not others.

Currently ordering a better d-can cable and will confirm here once attempted.

Last edited by gwspecter; 10-21-2019 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 02:29 PM   #32
gwspecter
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by guwakjai010 View Post
i think i might kno why... i'm looking at my OBD connector from the car and i don't see any metal connectors inside where pin 7 would go... im going to have to pulled that part out and inspect it...
Mine had a cover over the d-can cable input (7pin), it shows a bridge between 3 pins. I'm not sure yet if this is causing error 2020 for me. Messing around with the files to see what could be the fix.

[ ERROR: COAPI-2020: SG antwortet nicht (does not respond) IFH-0009: NO RESPONSE FROM CONTROLLUNIT ]
Attached Images

Last edited by gwspecter; 10-21-2019 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: Photos too large
Appreciate 0