E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Can aftermarket sat radio hook to oem antenna



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Tim603
Major
United_States
19
Rep
1,077
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i E90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Canton, OH

iTrader: (3)

Can aftermarket sat radio hook to oem antenna

Hey guys I just got a double din pioneer touchscreen and i am hooking up the sat radio since my car did not come with it. My question is can i somehow utilize the stock sharkfin antenna for the sat radio or do i have to use that little black antenna it comes with? Thanks for anyone who may be able to provide some input
__________________
Just picked up an E90 07 335

Bone stock.....for now
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
mathematics
Captain
mathematics's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
668
Posts

 
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Queens, NY

iTrader: (0)

yes, you just need the right Fakra connector to splice into it
__________________
iPhone 5s (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay to Tru Technology SSLD6i via aux out of Airport Express to Helix A4S Competition. Dynaudio MD102, Esotar 1200, and MW152. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Tim603
Major
United_States
19
Rep
1,077
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i E90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Canton, OH

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
yes, you just need the right Fakra connector to splice into it
nice thats good news, any idea where I would find something like this?
__________________
Just picked up an E90 07 335

Bone stock.....for now
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Tim603
Major
United_States
19
Rep
1,077
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i E90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Canton, OH

iTrader: (3)

Threads I found
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11865
-this one says at the bottom of the page that the magenta wire is the lead to the sharkfin sat antenna

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=16587&page=3
-bottom of page 3 seems as though we can just plug connector right into existing wiring.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76938
-pic mid way down show plug where sat radio can plug into

Ill have to take my car apart in the back and see whats going on
__________________
Just picked up an E90 07 335

Bone stock.....for now
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
3
Rep
375
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim603 View Post
Threads I found
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11865
-this one says at the bottom of the page that the magenta wire is the lead to the sharkfin sat antenna

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=16587&page=3
-bottom of page 3 seems as though we can just plug connector right into existing wiring.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76938
-pic mid way down show plug where sat radio can plug into

Ill have to take my car apart in the back and see whats going on
There is nothing to take apart. Just lift out the trunk cover piece and see what connectors are back there. The pink one is for the SAT antenna if your car is 2007-2009(think?) At some point BMW started integrating the SAT tuner into the head unit, so the pink connector probably isn't back there in the newer models.

If the pink connector is there, you can just order the corresponding connector from ebay. RFsuppliers carries everything you need. Only problem is you need some Fakra crimpers for this, and they aren't cheap. I think I paid 40$ for mine?

Cut the antenna off the Sirius antenna cable that comes with your head unit, then splice the new Fakra connector in its place. Plug it into the pink connector in the trunk and your all set.

You can find tutorial videos on youtube for crimping Fakra connectors, it's very easy.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:10 PM   #6
Tim603
Major
United_States
19
Rep
1,077
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i E90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Canton, OH

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
There is nothing to take apart. Just lift out the trunk cover piece and see what connectors are back there. The pink one is for the SAT antenna if your car is 2007-2009(think?) At some point BMW started integrating the SAT tuner into the head unit, so the pink connector probably isn't back there in the newer models.

If the pink connector is there, you can just order the corresponding connector from ebay. RFsuppliers carries everything you need. Only problem is you need some Fakra crimpers for this, and they aren't cheap. I think I paid 40$ for mine?

Cut the antenna off the Sirius antenna cable that comes with your head unit, then splice the new Fakra connector in its place. Plug it into the pink connector in the trunk and your all set.

You can find tutorial videos on youtube for crimping Fakra connectors, it's very easy.
okay cool thanks for the tips, yeah thats what i meant by take apart lol i guess there is not taking apart just lifting the trunk cover. So what I did was buy a sirius antenna extender and Im thinking it can just plug into the pink connector. From what Ive seen online (i still need to take a peek in my trunk, which is an 07 btw) I should be able to plug in the extender into the pink connector without any splicing. Ill be getting the new head unit installed at the end of the month and we will see how it goes!
__________________
Just picked up an E90 07 335

Bone stock.....for now
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:12 PM   #7
Tim603
Major
United_States
19
Rep
1,077
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i E90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Canton, OH

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
yes, you just need the right Fakra connector to splice into it
Oh yea and dude based on your sig, i neeeeeed to hear your sound system haha looks like you got that shit hooked up real nice
__________________
Just picked up an E90 07 335

Bone stock.....for now
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 12:36 AM   #8
bmw325i
Brigadier General
57
Rep
4,465
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

iTrader: (6)

I don't really see a point. It's simpler to just use the aftermarket antenna.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #9
Tim603
Major
United_States
19
Rep
1,077
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i E90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Canton, OH

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
I don't really see a point. It's simpler to just use the aftermarket antenna.
I dont feel like putting a aftermarket antenna on the outside of my car when I can just use the stock antenna. And i dont feel like keeping the aftermarket antenna inside my car because of reception issues
__________________
Just picked up an E90 07 335

Bone stock.....for now
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #10
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
3
Rep
375
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim603 View Post
okay cool thanks for the tips, yeah thats what i meant by take apart lol i guess there is not taking apart just lifting the trunk cover. So what I did was buy a sirius antenna extender and Im thinking it can just plug into the pink connector. From what Ive seen online (i still need to take a peek in my trunk, which is an 07 btw) I should be able to plug in the extender into the pink connector without any splicing. Ill be getting the new head unit installed at the end of the month and we will see how it goes!
Ya if you can find a cable that terminates into a Pink Fakra connector instead of an antenna that is perfect.



Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
I don't really see a point. It's simpler to just use the aftermarket antenna.
Like the saying goes "I never said it would be easy, I just said it would be worth it."

The aftermarket antenna is ugly, scratches up your roof, etc. For the little extra effort you might as well do it right. BMW includes a sirius antenna in your sharkfin already, why not make use of it?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 02:48 AM   #11
bmw325i
Brigadier General
57
Rep
4,465
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

iTrader: (6)

I do agree it would be better but I have no issues with the aftermarket antenna and it is not visible.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #12
Viktimize
First Lieutenant
Canada
3
Rep
375
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i, 2002 325i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
I do agree it would be better but I have no issues with the aftermarket antenna and it is not visible.

Personal preference. But I like things to work well. If it isn't visible then it would have shit reception up here. In this neck of the woods it needs a clear unobstructed view of the sky if you don't want it cutting out every time you drive by a building. And that drives me crazy.

For the cost of the extension cable that OP says he found, it would be worth it alone for the easier install. Tucking that sirius antenna cable in along the rear windshield is a bitch and takes forever. So much easier to just run another cable along with the other ones to the trunk, and then plug it in and done.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
bmw325i
Brigadier General
57
Rep
4,465
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
Personal preference. But I like things to work well. If it isn't visible then it would have shit reception up here. In this neck of the woods it needs a clear unobstructed view of the sky if you don't want it cutting out every time you drive by a building. And that drives me crazy.

For the cost of the extension cable that OP says he found, it would be worth it alone for the easier install. Tucking that sirius antenna cable in along the rear windshield is a bitch and takes forever. So much easier to just run another cable along with the other ones to the trunk, and then plug it in and done.
I have mine under the center speaker grill along with the GPS antenna, and both work fine. I'll probably end up using the stock antenna eventually. It's just not worth the effort for me right now.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST