E90Post
 


Mtrack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > JB4 vs JB3



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
MTP335
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E90 335i Xdrive Msport
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC

Posts: 367
iTrader: (0)

Question JB4 vs JB3

Hi Guys,

I am going to buy JB… However I am not sure which one to get.

I don’t planning on modding my car much. I just want to do the BMS intake and JB3 or JB4.

Is it worth getting jb4 if I'm not going to do any other mods?

thx
__________________
MTP335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
 
eyim1988's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 1,505
iTrader: (3)

I would say jb4 stage 2. Ao much more you can so with the jb4.
__________________
Current: 2013 335i 6mt msport
BMS Clutch Stop, JB4, Slightly Modified OEM Muffler, ER Downpipe

Past: 2011 335i coupe
369 whp/444 torque. (Procede, Custom Turboback Exhaust, BMS Intake, ER FMIC)
eyim1988 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
MTP335
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E90 335i Xdrive Msport
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC

Posts: 367
iTrader: (0)

How much more HP/TQ is jb3 over jb4? Assuming that my only mod is the bms intake?
__________________
MTP335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
MTP335
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E90 335i Xdrive Msport
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC

Posts: 367
iTrader: (0)

ttt
__________________
MTP335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
 
eyim1988's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 1,505
iTrader: (3)

jb4 over jb3. it's not necessarily more power. There just many things you can do with it like on the fly map changing/code reading/deleting/ gauge hijacked boost gauge, etc.
__________________
Current: 2013 335i 6mt msport
BMS Clutch Stop, JB4, Slightly Modified OEM Muffler, ER Downpipe

Past: 2011 335i coupe
369 whp/444 torque. (Procede, Custom Turboback Exhaust, BMS Intake, ER FMIC)
eyim1988 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
eyim1988
Lieutenant Colonel
 
eyim1988's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 1,505
iTrader: (3)

and its so much more smoother than the jb3 is,
__________________
Current: 2013 335i 6mt msport
BMS Clutch Stop, JB4, Slightly Modified OEM Muffler, ER Downpipe

Past: 2011 335i coupe
369 whp/444 torque. (Procede, Custom Turboback Exhaust, BMS Intake, ER FMIC)
eyim1988 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
tomtom11
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Earth

Posts: 505
iTrader: (1)

jb3 FTW!! the jb4 needs to reach operating temps before it starts working. I know that is to protect the engine and i always allow it to properly warm up before getting on it but its still nice to know the power is there with the jb3. also jb3's map 5 gives 14-15psi and the jb4 map 1 gives 13psi
tomtom11 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
jeff2.0t
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montreal

Posts: 168
iTrader: (0)

Just installed the Jb3 this morning.

Everything went well, it took me 60 min to install. My advice, remove your airbox to install, the 10 min you will lose to do so will save you pain after!

My only interrogation is that once the JB3 ctrl box is slided inside the ECU box, it seem impossible to 100% seal the ECU box after because of the JB harness going out. It seem mostly sealed, I only hope water wont go inside the ECU box, where the harness is going out.

POwer wise, it gives a serious power increase, today is hot and humid, usually my car feel slugish, however I did notice the difference. No lag, instant power.

IMO it is perfect like this.
jeff2.0t is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
CJ421
Brigadier General
 
CJ421's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 3,203
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyim1988 View Post
and its so much more smoother than the jb3 is,
+1

I'd sooner leave my car stock than use the JB3/Stage I. I had it in for three months and didn't like the inconsistent throttle response or the sluggishness of the low end.
Went to JB4/Stage II a short time ago and it's been fun fun since.
__________________
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
CJ421 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
MTP335
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E90 335i Xdrive Msport
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC

Posts: 367
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
+1

I'd sooner leave my car stock than use the JB3/Stage I. I had it in for three months and didn't like the inconsistent throttle response or the sluggishness of the low end.
Went to JB4/Stage II a short time ago and it's been fun fun since.
interesting
__________________
MTP335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
jeff2.0t
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montreal

Posts: 168
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
+1

I'd sooner leave my car stock than use the JB3/Stage I. I had it in for three months and didn't like the inconsistent throttle response or the sluggishness of the low end.
Went to JB4/Stage II a short time ago and it's been fun fun since.
hmmm... I dont feel any sluggishness, the car is way smoother than stock, I dont have any lag, top end is just amasing.

I also have a PE maybe it help the flow a little.
jeff2.0t is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
jeff2.0t
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montreal

Posts: 168
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
My only interrogation is that once the JB3 ctrl box is slided inside the ECU box, it seem impossible to 100% seal the ECU box after because of the JB harness going out. It seem mostly sealed, I only hope water wont go inside the ECU box, where the harness is going out.
any one can help me with this? Can I put the ctrl box outside the sealed ECU box?
jeff2.0t is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
CJ421
Brigadier General
 
CJ421's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 3,203
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2.0t View Post
hmmm... I dont feel any sluggishness, the car is way smoother than stock, I dont have any lag, top end is just amasing.

I also have a PE maybe it help the flow a little.
I have the PE as well, plus the AR 4" DP.
__________________
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
CJ421 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
jeff2.0t
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montreal

Posts: 168
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
I have the PE as well, plus the AR 4" DP.
Newer DmE version or the older?

I just came back from a ride on the highway, OMG!! it pulls like never before, I feel way more power across the band. Top end is better. I will never look back and remove everything to bring the car back to stock. However it take times to adapt, yesterday the car wasn't as fast as today, tonight the car was stronger than this morning.
jeff2.0t is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
CJ421
Brigadier General
 
CJ421's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 3,203
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2.0t View Post
Newer DmE version or the older?

I just came back from a ride on the highway, OMG!! it pulls like never before, I feel way more power across the band. Top end is better. I will never look back and remove everything to bring the car back to stock. However it take times to adapt, yesterday the car wasn't as fast as today, tonight the car was stronger than this morning.
I don't know for sure. I have an 03/11 build and brought it in for service this March; they kept it a day to update software.
__________________
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
CJ421 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #16
jeff2.0t
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montreal

Posts: 168
iTrader: (0)

Mine is 01/11 build, I have the older software.

You have JB4 so you need the newer software version to use the JB4.

As per the official performance mod list thread:

"JB+ with upgraded BMW N55 software nulls gains on the tune"

It could explain why the JB3 didn't work well for you.

Older version with Jb4= fail
Newer version with JB3=fail
jeff2.0t is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #17
michaelalex17
Colonel
 
michaelalex17's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi E92
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 2,221
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
+1

I'd sooner leave my car stock than use the JB3/Stage I. I had it in for three months and didn't like the inconsistent throttle response or the sluggishness of the low end.
Went to JB4/Stage II a short time ago and it's been fun fun since.
you realize the jb4 doesnt have power gains over the jb3 right? there is no sluggishness low end difference between jb3 and jb4. quite the contrary. as stated earlier. map1 of the jb4 is supposed to be equivalent to map 5 of the jb3 but the jb3 gives more psi on map5 then the jb4 does on map 1. the jb3 on map 5 gives 14-15psi and the jb4 on map 1 gives 13psi.
michaelalex17 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
michaelalex17
Colonel
 
michaelalex17's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi E92
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 2,221
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2.0t View Post
any one can help me with this? Can I put the ctrl box outside the sealed ECU box?
you can put it in the ECU box and it should close 100%. if it was outside the ecu box the dealer would easily see it, also it wouldnt close if there was a wire dangling out of it. if you are unable to close the ecu box with the ctrl box inside it then you are doing something wrong.
michaelalex17 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #19
michaelalex17
Colonel
 
michaelalex17's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi E92
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 2,221
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom11 View Post
jb3 FTW!! the jb4 needs to reach operating temps before it starts working. I know that is to protect the engine and i always allow it to properly warm up before getting on it but its still nice to know the power is there with the jb3. also jb3's map 5 gives 14-15psi and the jb4 map 1 gives 13psi
+100000
michaelalex17 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #20
CJ421
Brigadier General
 
CJ421's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 3,203
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
you realize the jb4 doesnt have power gains over the jb3 right? there is no sluggishness low end difference between jb3 and jb4. quite the contrary. as stated earlier. map1 of the jb4 is supposed to be equivalent to map 5 of the jb3 but the jb3 gives more psi on map5 then the jb4 does on map 1. the jb3 on map 5 gives 14-15psi and the jb4 on map 1 gives 13psi.
I did not know that, actually. Do you have a list of maps for the JB3 (which BMS is calling "Stage 1" for the N55, just sayin')? I'm only seeing Map 0/1 and 6.
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7992

And I run map 2 on the JB4/Stage II w/ 93 oct and a downpipe. Not map 1. Pretty big butt dyno difference between map 1 and map 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff2.0t View Post
Mine is 01/11 build, I have the older software.

You have JB4 so you need the newer software version to use the JB4.

As per the official performance mod list thread:

"JB+ with upgraded BMW N55 software nulls gains on the tune"

It could explain why the JB3 didn't work well for you.

Older version with Jb4= fail
Newer version with JB3=fail
I had the Stage I, not JB+ to my knowledge unless I confused something in your post.
__________________
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
CJ421 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #21
tomtom11
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Earth

Posts: 505
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
I did not know that, actually. Do you have a list of maps for the JB3 (which BMS is calling "Stage 1" for the N55, just sayin')? I'm only seeing Map 0/1 and 6.
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7992

And I run map 2 on the JB4/Stage II w/ 93 oct and a downpipe. Not map 1. Pretty big butt dyno difference between map 1 and map 2.

I had the Stage I, not JB+ to my knowledge unless I confused something in your post.
jb4 map 2 is supposed to be equal to jb3's map 7 so that has nothing to do with anything. the important part is map 1 which the OP will be using has less power then the jb3's map 5.
tomtom11 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST