E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help!! Car sputtering...

04-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #23
queensfield
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 330i E90

Have you checked the code? The service engine light should indicate a code that may help pinpoint the exact problem. Also, through in a bottle of techron into gas tank to get the fuel injectors cleaned up.
queensfield is offline   United_States
      04-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #24
BMW E90
Major General

Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensfield View Post
Have you checked the code? The service engine light should indicate a code that may help pinpoint the exact problem. Also, through in a bottle of techron into gas tank to get the fuel injectors cleaned up.
The service engine light doesn't come on all the time. It's only when I do hard acceleration (step on the gas for that get up and go). When I do that it would churn a bit (like clunk clunk clunk) and then vrrroooommm and goes. That's when the check engine light would come on. That's also when the car vibrates inside. If I drive it easy for a bit it goes off.
BMW E90 is offline   United_States
      04-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #25
queensfield
First Lieutenant

Perhaps you can plug-in an OBD2 reader into your car and monitor the fuel trims using live data. Have a friend monitor and write down the data as you drive or plug in a recorder into the OBD2 for later viewing. You can buy this cheap (~$50 or so) at any parts store or on ebay. Based on your symptoms, I think that the fuel trims are getting out of bounds i.e. when you accelerate the fuel trim is probably getting lean throwing the check engine light. If you observe the trims through OBD2 reader, you will notice that the ECU will increase the LTFT (long term fuel trim) as you accelerate to inject more fuel to maintain optimum fuel to air ratio. The recording will also show you the code stored at that moment. After you have slowed down, the ECU sees everything normal and the check engine light is gone. You can try simple things first- clean the Mass Air Flow sensor carefully with CRC electronics cleaner, and throw in Techron fuel system cleaner into the gas tank. If the symptoms do not go away, then getting that stored code may shed more light.
      04-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #26
BMW E90
Major General

I have a coupon the dealer sent me that offers free code checking. I'm going to take advantage of that and see what happens. As for the Techron fuel cleaner, do I just pour it in the tank with the gas? (seems like it but I wanna make sure).
      04-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #27
queensfield
First Lieutenant

Yes, just pour in when the tank is near 1/4 or less. Take the bottle with you to gas station. Pour all of it, then fill in gas to full tank, which mixes it with the gas. Some folks like to change oil after doing running through the gas tank since if the piston rings are not sealing completely, then some Techron can get into the oil and reduce the effectiveness of the additives in the oil.

Yes, get the code checked. Even if the check engine light is not on, it will be stored in the ECU memory and is retrievable. That code is very valuable in figuring out what to do next.
      04-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #28
queensfield
First Lieutenant

As mentioned before, a failed ignition coil should throw a code and will cause rough idling. The code may point to which ignition coil to replace.
      05-13-2012, 03:28 AM   #29
BMW E90
Major General

I plugged in an OBD reader today and got this code: P301- powertrain misfire cylinder 1. So coil and spark plug?