E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: OEM to Performace Exhaust mod - BEERS REQUIRED!

04-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #1
zhu
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

DIY: OEM to Performace Exhaust mod - BEERS REQUIRED!

Do this DIY at your own risk! I take no responsibilities for your actions and any damages you cause to yourself, your car, or others.

Below is a DIY for modifying your stock BMW e9x exhaust to sound like a BMW performance exhaust as discussed in this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739970. The jist of it is to cut the exhaust off, replace some perforated pipes with straight pipes, then put the exhaust back on.
If you don’t know what this mod does, want to hear what it sounds like, or want to read people’s opinions, check the link above.

The reason why I DIY’d this is because all my local shops want $400+ for the mod, and I’d much rather put that money towards some new tools.
I’d say the difficulty of this is a 4/10, and should take about 3-4 hours.

You will be required to use a reciprocating saw and angle grinder with cutting wheel. If you are unfamiliar with these tools, I recommend doing your own research, watch lots of Youtube videos, and learn! Or take it to a professional.

Parts required:
4x BEER 500ml cans (not joking)
2x 60mm pipe clamps (BMW wants $40 for these, but found on ebay for $10 for a pair http://www.ebay.com/itm/401072664884...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)
6x 2.5in worm clamps (Bought a pack of 10 on Amazon for a couple bucks)
Angle Grinder with cut off wheel
Reciprocating saw with metal cutting blade
JB Weld PROFESSIONAL SIZE (or welder if you’re good at welding)
Gloves
Safety goggles
13mm socket
Some Torx socket (I used 8mm regular socket instead)
17mm socket (or whatever is required for your pipe clamp)
Socket extension
Exacto knife
Scissors

Nice to have:
Drill with wire brush or sandpaper
Floor jack
2x 4x8
PB Blaster if bolts are stuck
Aluminum tape

1. Raise car
I wanted to give myself some more space under the car, but don’t want the exhaust too far off the ground, so decided to back it onto some 2x8’s.

Before doing any cutting, try to break lose the 4 bolts that are holding the 4 exhaust hangers. In case any are stuck, hit it with some PB Blaster, wait a few minutes, and try again. If they still don’t budge, then you may need to take it to a professional.
Each muffler has 2 hangers. One by the exhaust tip, and one in the back of the muffler where the pipe exits.
Just see if you can do one turn of the bolt. DO NOT REMOVE YET!
I wasn’t able to get good pictures here, have a look at dbjb’s thread for more details regarding removing exhaust http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687672

If you were able to turn the bolt, now we can do some cutting. This is the point of no return. Take your reciprocating saw with metal cutting blade and cut the exhaust pipe right after the mufflers, around half-way between the two bends where the pipe is straight. Don’t worry the muffler won’t drop, it is still being held by the hangers.

Remove the exhaust flapper vacuum hose. It’s right behind the exhaust tip on the driver side. Use a screwdriver to pry it off.

After you cut both sides, bring in your floor jack, raise it enough to just support one of the mufflers, then unbolt the 2 bolts that are holding its hangers on.

Slowly lower that side to the ground and pull the jack out

Repeat for the other muffler.

Your muffler should be completely off now!

Go for a drive and see what no exhaust sounds like! (You may want to do the "golf tee mod" first since the flapper vacuum line is disconnected)
Honestly I cannot imagine how anyone can possibly live with exhaust delete…

Mark where you want to cut the exhaust open. The key here is you want to cut as close to the center separator as you can, without actually cutting into it. And you want to make sure you cut the sides from the side, so you can reassemble later without the cut out piece just falling inside.

I could have cut further over to give myself more space.

Cut open the internal chamber as well. Again trying to leave yourself as big an opening as possible

Once open, take out all the fiberglass hair that’s inside

Try to clean the perforated pipe so the aluminum tape will adhere better

Wrap with aluminum tape

DRINK BEERS

Take your empty beer cans, cut off top and bottom

Use scissors to cut lengthwise.

Wrap your beer cans around perforated pipe, 2 per side. Then clamp down using the worm clamps. Reason why is because the adhesive on the aluminum tape may wear out and unravel. These clamps and cans should keep everything in place.

Repeat on other side.

Repack all the hair.

Use drill with wire brush or sandpaper to clean up the edges where you'll JB Welding. You need to do this or else JB Weld may not adhere well

Place the lids back on. Hopefully you made your cuts in such a way that they stay in place and don’t fall through the hole. I didn’t bother putting the inner canister lid back on, since we’ve sealed that pipe.

Mix the JB Weld, and slop that stuff on. I used around half of what I had.

Wait full 24 hours for the JB Weld to cure before re-attaching

Slide your 60mm clamps onto the exhaust pipe and out of the way

Carefully raise one side of your muffler with your floor jack, and reattach the 13mm bolt only! Then go to the other side, jack it up, and attach the other 13mm bolt. Only then do you go and attach both 8mm torx bolts. Take your time, do it in this order. It makes this a LOT easier. Trust me.

Once all the hangers are bolted back up, you’re pretty much done. Check alignment of tips, then slide the exhaust clamps between the 2 pipes and tighten down.

Reattach flapper vacuum line.

Start your car and enjoy your beer powered exhaust!

Last edited by zhu; 04-18-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Appreciate 3
      04-17-2016, 04:15 AM   #2
zoppp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 528i

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 10:48 PM   #3
JoeyH335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

funny and great!

I am just here to help!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #4
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 335i & 14 X3 35

Great idea. How hot does it get on the muffler do you think? I'm guessing you'll be ok. JB Weld's FAQ's say:

http://www.jbweld.com/pages/faqs

How much heat can J-B Weld withstand?

Original J-B Weld can withstand a constant temperature of 500 F. The maximum temperature threshold is approximately 600 F for a short term (10 minutes). Refer to individual product packages for more temperature information.

Will J-B Weld work on an automotive exhaust?

Because of the extreme temperatures of exhaust systems, we do not recommend J-B Weld for use on exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters. Nor do we recommend the product for repairs within the combustion chamber. However, in areas where the continuous temperature is less than 450 F, we do recommend our HighHeat epoxy putty stick.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #5
zhu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Great idea. How hot does it get on the muffler do you think? I'm guessing you'll be ok. JB Weld's FAQ's say:

http://www.jbweld.com/pages/faqs

How much heat can J-B Weld withstand?

Original J-B Weld can withstand a constant temperature of 500 F. The maximum temperature threshold is approximately 600 F for a short term (10 minutes). Refer to individual product packages for more temperature information.

Will J-B Weld work on an automotive exhaust?

Because of the extreme temperatures of exhaust systems, we do not recommend J-B Weld for use on exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters. Nor do we recommend the product for repairs within the combustion chamber. However, in areas where the continuous temperature is less than 450 F, we do recommend our HighHeat epoxy putty stick.

Thanks! The JB weld is definitely the sketchiest part of this

From what I found online, exhaust temperature drops significantly after the catalytic converters and should be well less than 500F (260C) at the muffler. Also since the internal pipe is now sealed, the JB welded section does not actually come in contact with exhaust gasses.

And the strength of JB weld should be enough given it's not for anything structural so there should be minimal pressure on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #6
mweisdorfer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Sound Clip

can you provide a sound clip?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 11:46 PM   #7
zhu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
can you provide a sound clip?
I tried taking one w/ my cell phone, but audio quality was crap

Sounds exactly the same as this, posted by Rock&Roll:
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2016, 12:01 AM   #8
PNWN54
MR. Rocket
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhu View Post
I tried taking one w/ my cell phone, but audio quality was crap

Sounds exactly the same as this, posted by Rock&Roll:
I used many beers cans to make it sound this good. 👍🏻😄
|2010 E92 335i 6MT\\\M-Sport///225M 19" Rims, MHD PTF Stg 2+, Fuel IT Stage 2 LPFP, VRSF Downpipes, CDV Delete, ER CP & 5" IC, Forge DV, PE Modded Mufflers, BMS DCI & Cowl Delete, CYBA Tips, ST Coils, M3 Control Arms, E93 M3 Sway Bar, Michelin PSS|
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 08:11 AM   #9
Ian_N54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI E90

Wow what a pro.. I'm broke and wanna mod the car so I might do this this weekend lol!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 02:45 AM   #10
LagunaBMW
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i Convertible

SWEET Mod !!

This is a TRUE DIY Mod for guys who don't have a Big Budget but still would like BIG SOUND!..

I wonder what this will do for performance (increase or decrease).

Obviously it voids your warranty from BMW..

I LIKE this post a lot..

THANK YOU ZHU.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 07:21 AM   #11
Ian_N54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI E90

Hardest part for me is probably going to be finding clamps like those for a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 09:48 AM   #12
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
Wow this is some crazy DIY!
Did you also "unplug the cable"?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 04:17 AM   #13
rpa440
Rep
Drives: E92

imagine buy a 20 000 bmw 335 and have this mod done berfore ... its ok it work but if you sell the car advise the buyer ... thank
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 05:54 AM   #14
Jozy
\_(ツ)_/
Singapore
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

i did it too. but only the drink beer part

That's where v7 stage 1 is
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 03:15 AM   #15
free35
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335

Hows the JB holding up? Any issues? I was planning on going to Toronto to have a shop weld pipes in but if this is just as good might save 440 and spend on mods
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #16
Cdutch513
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 BMW 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328I  [0.00]
That is sick!!!
      07-08-2016, 12:20 PM   #17
David0ff
Combined Applications Group
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lada Scrapus Trofeo R

AH man you should have taken the muffler to a muffler shop near by when it was off the car they would have welded the cut out sections for 50 bux or so instead of JB welding them.

Thos will most likely fly off on the highway at some point and some guy will get a serious puncture.

Plz take the car to a muffler shop to do that man

right now you are on par with this guy

Appreciate 0