E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Steering Column Spindle Trouble

10-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
NitroX5
Registered
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Steering Column Spindle Trouble

Hi All,

during subframe removal process the steering rack just "spinned out of the way" (as suggested on many DIY-s)
The problem is that the steering spindle completely slipped out from column (inside the cabin, almost through the firewall)
Resulting a serious headache since it looks like impossible to attach it again into the column sleeve.

I tried it from every angle (a little)
Shifted the spindle
Slight force/ hammered
I only achieve 0.5 Inch or so and it stuck now. (remaining ~7 inch)

Has anybody experienced this before, any suggestion here?
It looks like I have to pull the whole column and might already damaged something. This is ridiculous that I would avoid the whole mess if I would unbolt the U-joint bolt to free up the rack

In the pic the spindle only a little attached, the U-joint is well in the engine bay instead of the inner firewall side.
      10-22-2016, 03:40 AM   #2
NitroX5
Registered
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

As a result, I had disassembled the whole column.
The spindle can't be removed without bearing removal from the house itself, so I had to solve the problem without see the inside mechanism (a rotating sleeve which stops by the locking mechanism)
As a last resort I tried to slide the spindle into inner sleeve rotate it tooth by tooth.
In one position I got less resistance and it slid into it.

Strange since that shaft is completely symmetrical. At least what is visible on its outer part. Now it working again, but the steering adjustment became very tight.