E90Post

Mtrack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > ER Chargepipe Installation Issue

04-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Malapropism
Book Worm

Drives: '11 e92 335xi 6MT

ER Chargepipe Installation Issue

Hi Guys

I just installed my ER chargepipe today and I have an issue with the installation. As seen in the picture attached, encircled is where you use the factory stock screw mounting the CP into the stock engine bracket. Although when I was installing my CP the hole for the screw and the screw hole wouldn't line up and thus i was unable to screw it in. With some force I would be able to nudge the chargepipe to the left a bit to line up the holes for the screw but there was too much tension and the thread on both the screw and the hole became mangled with all the force and awkward angle. I tried to readjust the chargepipe many times however never did it line up. Thus I was not able to mount the chargepipe into the engine bracket.

Name:  ERCP.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  522.6 KB

My questions are:

1. Has anyone had this kind of fitment issue?
2. Can I run the CP without this screw? (Seems okay so far..)

Thanks for the help!
      04-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
jlcolon2001
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i Coupe 2007

I've been running mine without that screw for months with zero issues. I replaced the OEM intake filter with DCI long time ago, so I didn't remember about that screw until I saw you pic. I guess is OK.
jlcolon2001 is offline   Puerto Rico
      04-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malapropism View Post
Hi Guys

I just installed my ER chargepipe today and I have an issue with the installation. As seen in the picture attached, encircled is where you use the factory stock screw mounting the CP into the stock engine bracket. Although when I was installing my CP the hole for the screw and the screw hole wouldn't line up and thus i was unable to screw it in. With some force I would be able to nudge the chargepipe to the left a bit to line up the holes for the screw but there was too much tension and the thread on both the screw and the hole became mangled with all the force and awkward angle. I tried to readjust the chargepipe many times however never did it line up. Thus I was not able to mount the chargepipe into the engine bracket.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone had this kind of fitment issue?
2. Can I run the CP without this screw? (Seems okay so far..)

Thanks for the help!
This is the first cp that Ive seen that even has a mid-pipe support screw like oem. lol.Sorry to hear about the fitment issues but I think you'll be fine.

If you mount the cp to throttle body only and skip the silicone coupler end can you fit the mid-pipe screw/support?
BavarianBullet is offline   United_States
      04-25-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
Malapropism
Book Worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcolon2001 View Post
I've been running mine without that screw for months with zero issues. I replaced the OEM intake filter with DCI long time ago, so I didn't remember about that screw until I saw you pic. I guess is OK.
Thanks for the help. DCI means you have a N54 though. I have a N55 so our chargepipe setups might be slightly different I'm not exactly sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianBullet View Post
This is the first cp that Ive seen that even has a mid-pipe support screw like oem. lol.Sorry to hear about the fitment issues but I think you'll be fine.

If you mount the cp to throttle body only and skip the silicone coupler end can you fit the mid-pipe screw/support?
Yeah I tried skipping the silicone coupler having it just mounted to throttle body rotation around its connection point and in no way did it line up
      04-25-2012, 01:55 AM   #5
PINeely
Major

Drives: 2009 E90 N54

I have an ER charge pipe on my car and had similar problems, when the screw was installed it would torque the seal on the throttle body too much and cause a boost leak. I removed the screw and have been fine ever since. I have an N54 but looking at your pictures our charge pipes are very similar.
      04-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #6
335 oClock
MOE

Drives: 2011 e92 335i 6MT

Send a message via AIM to 335 oClock
ive installed my er pipe twice now.. put it into the silicone housing first, dont tighten any clamps untill you move it to where u need it... fit it over that screw hole, then fit other end in... tighten clamps and screw it in
335 oClock is offline   United_States
      04-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Malapropism
Book Worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 oClock View Post
ive installed my er pipe twice now.. put it into the silicone housing first, dont tighten any clamps untill you move it to where u need it... fit it over that screw hole, then fit other end in... tighten clamps and screw it in
Thanks for the help. I'll try this way out.

How far in did you put each tube into the silicone housing? Like are they touching each other in there or what is the distance between them within the housing or how far in did you push each of them. I think right now I have about an inch into the silicon for each tube
      04-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 07335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 oClock View Post
Thats good advice... Not tightening the silicone will give you the play you need to line everything up.

Mike
Mike@N54Tuning.com is online now   Canada
      04-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
OP
Honestly I wouldnt even bolt down that screw. The ER pipe fits extremely too well. I like a little play in stuff for movement and expansion.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
      04-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
335 oClock
MOE

Drives: 2011 e92 335i 6MT

Send a message via AIM to 335 oClock
okay..

1) fit the silicone housing (will refer to as SH) on the tube connected to your FMIC, that tube gets a bit thicker and stops the SH, slide it down until that point and stop. don't try to push it over that point, make sure all the way around it touching that point
2) put the both clamps over it (do not tighten it)
3) while holding the pipe connected to your FMIC, insert the charge pipe to the other end of the SH and adjust it by turning it to make sure that you are getting the screw place matching as well as the other end in the correct position to be put in (do not put it in yet)
3.5) this is only if you want to do it, I did not do it this way but it may help make sure the screw will be screwed in. Put either the mid-pipe support screw or some long screw in the hole made in the CP and your car to give the pipe less wiggle room
4) while holding the hose connected to your FMIC, press your charge pipe into the silicone (put some pressure in pushing back against this with the hose connected to FMIC as well to get tight fitment)
5) see that things are still aligned, pop the other end of your charge pipe in
6) feel around on the SH to make sure you feel both pipes are inside as much as they could be
7) clamp it down as TIGHT as you can on the charge pipe end, and as tight as you can on your FMIC pipe end (this is plastic, so be cautious)
8) tighten middle screw
9) plug in MAP sensor
10) Re-install all parts taken out or moved to do this install
11) Smile !

**I'm not responsible for any damage prior/during/after installation, or any decisions made to modify the car. Work at your own risk and a professional is always recommended. This is just my "2 cents" of the install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malapropism View Post
Thanks for the help. I'll try this way out.

How far in did you put each tube into the silicone housing? Like are they touching each other in there or what is the distance between them within the housing or how far in did you push each of them. I think right now I have about an inch into the silicon for each tube

Last edited by 335 oClock; 04-25-2012 at 03:26 PM.
335 oClock is offline   United_States
      04-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
badblkX6
Captain

Drives: 2014 X6 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X6  [0.00]
When I installed my ER charge pipe (on my N55) I had the same issue with the screw fitting and such as you mentioned. After a short spirited drive after the install and the screw installed, the silicone connection popped off the intercooler, which caused a boost leak and limp mode.

After taking a closer look I figured that it was just too tight of a fitment and should be fine without the screw holding it in place. I have been running without it screwed down since November without any issues.

Hope this helps!
badblkX6 is offline   United_States