E90Post
 


Evolve Automotive
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMS Oil catch can?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
JayTdotP
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 335i Coupe Navi
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: GTA

Posts: 339
iTrader: (3)

BMS Oil catch can?

whats the benefits of the BMS oil catch can?
__________________
2007 335i e92 Sport package (BSM)
JayTdotP is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 17,082
iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTdotP View Post
whats the benefits of the BMS oil catch can?
Honestly I think their caption says it best:

"It's no secret that the BMW N54 motor suffers from serious oil control problems causing oil to blow through and coat the intercooler and charge piping, gunking up intake valves and the VANOS system, lowering the effective octane, and generally degrading engine performance. The higher your boost levels the more apparent these problems become.

The solution to this problem has finally arrived. The BMS oil catch can. While there are other catch cans on the market they all fall short in various areas. Some are mounted on the hot/turbo side of the motor preventing proper vapor condensation. Others utilize hoses that are too small and runs that are too long to allow proper PCV ventilation causing internal motor / ring sealing issues. Some have insufficient or no internal baffle system while others have internal baffles systems that are too restrictive for the N54 motor. Most are simply repackaged oil catch cans from smaller / lower power motors shoe horned in to place in the N54 engine bay.

To solve these problems BMS designed their oil catch can kit from the ground up specifically for the N54 application. It features 100% CNC machining with zero welding for a precision fit and long life. The hoses exceed the OEM PCV piping in diameter and that flow rate is maintained throughout the entire oil catch can ensuring no excessive crankcase pressure buildup. The mounting location is out of the way under the cowl allowing for shorter lines, more efficient operation, and a very stealthy look. Install takes around 20 minutes, includes all required hardware, and is 100% reversible. Simply unscrew the base of the can to empty it's contents every 3-6 months."
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
JayTdotP
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 335i Coupe Navi
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: GTA

Posts: 339
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Honestly I think their caption says it best:

"It's no secret that the BMW N54 motor suffers from serious oil control problems causing oil to blow through and coat the intercooler and charge piping, gunking up intake valves and the VANOS system, lowering the effective octane, and generally degrading engine performance. The higher your boost levels the more apparent these problems become.

The solution to this problem has finally arrived. The BMS oil catch can. While there are other catch cans on the market they all fall short in various areas. Some are mounted on the hot/turbo side of the motor preventing proper vapor condensation. Others utilize hoses that are too small and runs that are too long to allow proper PCV ventilation causing internal motor / ring sealing issues. Some have insufficient or no internal baffle system while others have internal baffles systems that are too restrictive for the N54 motor. Most are simply repackaged oil catch cans from smaller / lower power motors shoe horned in to place in the N54 engine bay.

To solve these problems BMS designed their oil catch can kit from the ground up specifically for the N54 application. It features 100% CNC machining with zero welding for a precision fit and long life. The hoses exceed the OEM PCV piping in diameter and that flow rate is maintained throughout the entire oil catch can ensuring no excessive crankcase pressure buildup. The mounting location is out of the way under the cowl allowing for shorter lines, more efficient operation, and a very stealthy look. Install takes around 20 minutes, includes all required hardware, and is 100% reversible. Simply unscrew the base of the can to empty it's contents every 3-6 months."
Is this Install d.i.y, or do i need to bring it to the shop
__________________
2007 335i e92 Sport package (BSM)
JayTdotP is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #4
robc1976
DIYER
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois

Posts: 4,387
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTdotP View Post
Is this Install d.i.y, or do i need to bring it to the shop
A monkey could do it lol!! Very easy! Awesome product!
__________________
JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, Super RB turbos W/3.5 N20 sensor, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Power-Flex subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
robc1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
JayTdotP
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 335i Coupe Navi
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: GTA

Posts: 339
iTrader: (3)

SOLD! I Will get one eventually.. just need to find a few dollars
__________________
2007 335i e92 Sport package (BSM)
JayTdotP is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
robc1976
DIYER
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois

Posts: 4,387
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTdotP View Post
SOLD! I Will get one eventually.. just need to find a few dollars
Get it...you will not regret it! Keeps your FMIC, CP, Intake rack cleaner....my stock intercooler was full of oil lol!!
__________________
JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, Super RB turbos W/3.5 N20 sensor, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Power-Flex subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
robc1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
rmw04c
Jewbacca
 
rmw04c's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SGM 335is
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hope Mills, NC

Posts: 200
iTrader: (2)

Yeah it took me about 30 minutes to install it, and I didn't cut my engine cover. It is ridiculously easy. And once you've done it once, it cuts the time down even more if going to the dealer or anything. Super easy after that. All it requires is an hex wrench, the one socket you need to pull the cowl off, and maybe a screwdriver.
__________________
2007 E92 335i - Retired
2011 E92 6MT 335is - JB4, Stett CP, Synapse BOV, Wagner FMIC, BMS OCC, CDV mod, AFE DCI, AR DPs, Cyba Scoops, BMS Clutch Stop, P3Cars v2.1 vent gauge, LED side markers.
rmw04c is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
raceyBMW
king of the hills
 
raceyBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 2,741
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1994 530i  [4.25]
2007 335i Coupe  [4.07]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw04c View Post
Yeah it took me about 30 minutes to install it, and I didn't cut my engine cover. It is ridiculously easy. And once you've done it once, it cuts the time down even more if going to the dealer or anything. Super easy after that. All it requires is an hex wrench, the one socket you need to pull the cowl off, and maybe a screwdriver.
Sounds about right. You will need something flat (screwdriver works) to take off the pipe from the back of the valve cover and some muscle to pull the pipe off the flapper valve, but that's about it. And I didn't need to cut the engine cover either, it fit in there very easily with no crimping.
raceyBMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
alnk1015
Private
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i German Import
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Huntsville, AL

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

I suggest this also. I installed the catch can when I installed my ETS intercooler. My entire stock piping was oily. I am so glad my new system wont have oil pumping through it. Also I dont know this for sure but the carbon deposit source is the oil vapor isnt it?
alnk1015 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 17,082
iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTdotP View Post
Is this Install d.i.y, or do i need to bring it to the shop
It's very easy to install/ DIY, and all the information is available on burger tuning for install and information.

We can also get it for anyone that is interested too.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
R1000K3
Major
 
R1000K3's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i MT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA

Posts: 1,313
iTrader: (0)

The BMS OCC is Highly Recommended. Works great according to reliable sources and the design and workmanship proves it is a winner. I'll install mine this weekend.
R1000K3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
robc1976
DIYER
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois

Posts: 4,387
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1000K3 View Post
The BMS OCC is Highly Recommended. Works great according to reliable sources and the design and workmanship proves it is a winner. I'll install mine this weekend.
Anything terry designs is awesome
__________________
JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, Super RB turbos W/3.5 N20 sensor, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Power-Flex subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
robc1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #13
abhishriv
Major
 
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,237
iTrader: (0)

how do you get the stock pipe off?! i tried a few mins ago but those clips are impossible.. how did you guys get them off?
abhishriv is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #14
RaihaX
Major General
 
RaihaX's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia, Perth

Posts: 5,029
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
how do you get the stock pipe off?! i tried a few mins ago but those clips are impossible.. how did you guys get them off?
jam a screw driver over the clip while pulling the hose out each side at a time.
RaihaX is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #15
robc1976
DIYER
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois

Posts: 4,387
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
how do you get the stock pipe off?! i tried a few mins ago but those clips are impossible.. how did you guys get them off?
Hair dryer and it comes off with ease!
__________________
JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, Super RB turbos W/3.5 N20 sensor, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Power-Flex subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
robc1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #16
PKumarM3
Air India
 
Drives: 2003.5 BMW M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NJ

Posts: 1,748
iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to PKumarM3
add hose clamps to where the hoses connect to the actual catch can.
__________________

2014 Porsche Cayman S
PKumarM3 is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #17
robc1976
DIYER
 
robc1976's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois

Posts: 4,387
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKumarM3 View Post
add hose clamps to where the hoses connect to the actual catch can.
I put clamps on all connections.
__________________
JB4 G5, WEDGE flash, 455 LPFP, HFS-4 meth kit, BMS OCC, Super RB turbos W/3.5 N20 sensor, RB valve, BMS DCI, 3" AR Dps, Custom OC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2 exhaust DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Power-Flex subframe bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
robc1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #18
jackass1
Private First Class
 
jackass1's Avatar
 
Drives: black 335i convertible
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: AZ

Posts: 174
iTrader: (3)

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the BMS and the RSD versions? Other then price. Does placement make a difference?
Sorry not trying to jack your thread.
jackass1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #19
glockz
Second Lieutenant
 
glockz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plano, TX

Posts: 201
iTrader: (6)

While on the subject I'm getting ready to add a catch can but wondering if I should also do something about any oil that my be in my FMIC? Is there an easy way to drain it or clean it out? I have a 535i so there is limited options for replacing it with an aftermarket unit.
glockz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #20
benzy89
Banned
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackass1 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a difference between the BMS and the RSD versions? Other then price. Does placement make a difference?
Sorry not trying to jack your thread.

The BMS design is newer (was released late 2011), but IMO looks better in the engine bay. BMS design has also gotten lots of praise for having the best designed baffle (the mesh structure that catches oil) that allows the best airflow, doesn't interrupt airflow pressure & successfully catches the oil in the can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockz View Post
While on the subject I'm getting ready to add a catch can but wondering if I should also do something about any oil that my be in my FMIC? Is there an easy way to drain it or clean it out? I have a 535i so there is limited options for replacing it with an aftermarket unit.

I just received my OCC in the mail & am buying a used FMIC. I'm probably going to wash it out before install, called the manufacturer to make sure it'd be ok if I used acetone to clean any impurities (oil) out of the FMIC. They said acetone is fine, but DO NOT gas like some people say, and to dry it out with compressed air when it's clean (prob just go to a gas station & use their air compressor for free).

Since you have a 535i, you'd prob be best off buying a FMIC from ER or HPF since their kits are both listed for the 535. I'm sure if you called around at the other FMIC companies (ETS, Helix, AMS, Wanger, etc) will all be able to tell you if their kits work on the 535 too.
benzy89 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #21
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

Posts: 14,580
iTrader: (86)

The OCC is definitely a DIY and has been super popular recently. Looks like it belongs in the engine bay

Mike
Mike@N54Tuning.com is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #22
jackass1
Private First Class
 
jackass1's Avatar
 
Drives: black 335i convertible
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: AZ

Posts: 174
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackass1 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a difference between the BMS and the RSD versions? Other then price. Does placement make a difference?
Sorry not trying to jack your thread.

The BMS design is newer (was released late 2011), but IMO looks better in the engine bay. BMS design has also gotten lots of praise for having the best designed baffle (the mesh structure that catches oil) that allows the best airflow, doesn't interrupt airflow pressure & successfully catches the oil in the can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockz View Post
While on the subject I'm getting ready to add a catch can but wondering if I should also do something about any oil that my be in my FMIC? Is there an easy way to drain it or clean it out? I have a 535i so there is limited options for replacing it with an aftermarket unit.

I just received my OCC in the mail & am buying a used FMIC. I'm probably going to wash it out before install, called the manufacturer to make sure it'd be ok if I used acetone to clean any impurities (oil) out of the FMIC. They said acetone is fine, but DO NOT gas like some people say, and to dry it out with compressed air when it's clean (prob just go to a gas station & use their air compressor for free).

Since you have a 535i, you'd prob be best off buying a FMIC from ER or HPF since their kits are both listed for the 535. I'm sure if you called around at the other FMIC companies (ETS, Helix, AMS, Wanger, etc) will all be able to tell you if their kits work on the 535 too.
Benzy
Thanks for the info. Was unsure of which OCC to go with. BMS it is.
jackass1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST