E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 Subaru WRX STi Sedan VS 2008/2009 335i Sedan, which one??

04-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #23
Chartreux3

Drives: 2007 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksl View Post
If you mod the STI the engine will likely give you issues down the line. Look up ringland problems on Subaru boards.
You dont even have to mod them to get ringland problems.
      04-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #24
Chartreux3

Drives: 2007 E92

I bought my 07 STI new and gave it the best care I possibly could and in the end it let me down. I've since got an 07 335i and find it to be an amazing car compared to the STI. Just a JB4 turned my 335i into something my FBO STI wouldnt touch. I was even surprised to see my autox times were much better with the 335i.
      04-28-2012, 01:21 PM   #25
Vector
Private First Class

Drives: '09 335i coupe - Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckJAI View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to the boards here and have been contemplating the new STi sedans vs the 335i sedan.

I know they are 2 different beasts, but these are the only 2 that I've considered.

I've read as much as I can read on the HPFP recalls and the "reliability" issues of the N54. I'm at the stage where I want a nice car, that I can throw some decent mods on and call it a day.

I've done my fair share of motorswaps and mods from head to toe, but now that I'm older I want a car I can just enjoy to drive instead of spending tons to get the car up to my standards.

I know the Subaru has a very bleek interior, questionable audio system and etc, whereas the BMW is definitely more refined. Power seems to be very comparable, but I know the N54 motor has huge potential just by chipping and reaching the 400hp mark.

Has anyone driven both? I'm slightly leaning towards the STi only because I don't want the dealership to be my second home, and second the STi holds value like no other car (in it's class).

I'd say aftermarket support is definitely there for both platforms, so that's not a huge issue for me.

I'm looking for something I can enjoy to drive, rip around the track couple times a year and have it there when I need it.

Maintenance and parts are cheaper for the STi, but the BMW looks much sleeker. I also love the auto tranny on the BMW, it shifts lightning fast and the downshift rev matching is on point. I don't need auto, but that's just another option to consider esp if the wife drives it.

Thoughts? How do these 2 cars stack up against each other in terms of performance?
- Had an '02 WRX for 9 years, 135k miles. Was reliable and a blast to drive. Being older (no longer in my mid-20s), wanted something that did not scream "Boy Racer". Also, was getting annoyed with everyone - from Evos to modded Civics trying to race me on the highway.

Went to an '09 BMW, CPO and have been really happy. The car is a blast to drive, refined, relatively quiet with a nice exhaust. Practical (have been able to drive more than 2 people on long trips, in comfort). Also, love the instant torque.

Have driven 16k miles with it with no issues what-so-ever. The previous owner replaced the Fuel Pump twice though (so he/she found the problems early on and had them fixed).
      04-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #26
gtaccord
Major

Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
The 335 is definitely a more mature choice.

The reason the newer wrxs are as fast as the stis is just simple gearing. Anything other than a straight line and the sti is hands down better. The ringland issue in the sti started in 07 and lasted through the 09 model year at least. I would not buy one from this time period.

The solution:

Get a 335 daily and a 05-06 sti for everything else.
gtaccord is offline   United_States
      05-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #27
duckJAI

Drives: n/a

Can anyone comment on electrical problems, blown turbos, wastegate issues etc?

Are these natural to happen, or is it mainly because of driver usage?

I don't mind spending maintenance money for a premium car, but I don't want to be blowing money away on faulty parts due to the nature of how they are manufactured etc etc.

My main concern is what happens after CPO.....I'm trying to think a little long term. At least 5 years.
      05-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #28
be1ieve1111
Thread Killer

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Send a message via AIM to be1ieve1111 Send a message via Yahoo to be1ieve1111 Send a message via Skype™ to be1ieve1111
Ok. Here we go. This has been discussed so many times on here, not sure why the wasn't used.

This is what it comes down to. Fuck all the issues people mentioned (ringland, hpfp, etc). You want a track ready car, that is loud and you love every second of it? You want RAW power? get the Sti.

You want a quiet car, that get's loud only when you're at WOT? You want to hot chicks to turn around? You want refinement? You want leather? get the BMW. That is all there is to it.

Coming from a Stage II 06 STi, to jb+ max 335i, to a 2012 Wrx. I wanted the raw power, boxer rumble, and awd again.
Sold:2006 Aspen White STi
be1ieve1111 is offline   United_States
      05-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #29
xbimmerx
Private

Drives: BMW 335i

335i
      05-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #30
DoctorS
Private First Class

Drives: 2010 AW msport 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
^^^ What she said, I went from an 06 wrx to a g35 coupe and now I drive a 2010 msport e92. I couldn't be happier with the bmr.
      05-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #31
jon328i
Wheelmaster

Drives: E90 6MT

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm new to the boards here and have been contemplating the new STi sedans vs the 335i sedan.

I know they are 2 different beasts, but these are the only 2 that I've considered.

I've read as much as I can read on the HPFP recalls and the "reliability" issues of the N54. I'm at the stage where I want a nice car, that I can throw some decent mods on and call it a day.

I've done my fair share of motorswaps and mods from head to toe, but now that I'm older I want a car I can just enjoy to drive instead of spending tons to get the car up to my standards.

I know the Subaru has a very bleek interior, questionable audio system and etc, whereas the BMW is definitely more refined. Power seems to be very comparable, but I know the N54 motor has huge potential just by chipping and reaching the 400hp mark.

Has anyone driven both? I'm slightly leaning towards the STi only because I don't want the dealership to be my second home, and second the STi holds value like no other car (in it's class).

I'd say aftermarket support is definitely there for both platforms, so that's not a huge issue for me.

I'm looking for something I can enjoy to drive, rip around the track couple times a year and have it there when I need it.

Maintenance and parts are cheaper for the STi, but the BMW looks much sleeker. I also love the auto tranny on the BMW, it shifts lightning fast and the downshift rev matching is on point. I don't need auto, but that's just another option to consider esp if the wife drives it.

Thoughts? How do these 2 cars stack up against each other in terms of performance?
maybe yo can check this out, motor trend did a comparo test back in 2008, 335i vs Evo X vs WRX Sti and the editors all voted for the 335i as the winner.
jon328i is offline   United_States
      05-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #32
ramorendez
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Subie

I had an '08 E93 335i. Sold it in 2010 with 34k miles. Bought a 2007 STi w/33k miles in June '11. I have a few comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTigers View Post
Based on your year STi, I say heck no with it. BMW all the way. I think 2007? Was the last good STi, the new ones are slow and crap. Even my subbie friends say the wouldn't own a new one. Only the older ones. Plus the new ones are so heavy.
New ones weigh like 30 pounds more than the older ones (04-07). I'd call that marginal, and just about anyone would be hard-pressed to really feel the difference. Slower? Maybe a fraction of a second.

Regardless, the new STi still weighs a few hundred pounds less than the 335i.

STis have had their issues, but the same rule applies, as it does with this forum - more people will voice their issues than those who haven't had any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanbairn View Post
If you like rattling A pillars, throw out bearings that squeal at 25k, exhaust welds that blow out at 40k, and general cheapness, the STI is for you. I just traded my '10 wrx for a '12 135 w/ DCT and couldn't be happier. Night and day fit and finish and the 135 is as fast, just not as visceral. PPK and performance exhaust are on the list. But I will miss the wave from all the other wrx owners...
I will generally agree with this. The STi is loud. Lack of sound deadening means that tire and wind noise is much more prevalent in the cabin. Stiffer suspension means that rattles and creaks will come about much sooner than you'd expect. Fit and finish is better in the BMW (which is expected, all things considered), but the Subie isn't econo-rental-box bad.

The BMW had some rattles and creaks when I sold it. The rear C-pillar had a rattle that manifested itself after 30k miles that the dealer could not permanently fix (it came back after a few days of driving). I got a weird, intermittent fluttering noise around the dash. I developed some creaks around the dash. There was a squeaking right by my left ear that I could not pinpoint prior to selling.

The STi had slightly lower mileage when I bought it than the bimmer did when I sold it. It had a rattle under the clock panel and fluttering from behind the gauge cluster. Now at 42.5k miles, it's since developed a few more rattles and creaks (and they're loud). It's liveable. My gf complains about it, but she has no problem falling asleep in the car

I agree that the STi feels more visceral/raw, which I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I can't believe I'm reading a serious post where someone is comparing a BMW with a Subaru and can't decide which one is the better car...
"Better" is completely dependent on what one wants. In the end, the Subaru is a better car for me. I decided I didn't care much for the luxury items or convertible top. I wanted something I could more easily tinker with. I also wanted a lighter car, as well as something more practical. Sure, I could have picked up a 335i sedan, but I also wanted a change of pace.

The new STis have better interiors than the previous generation. I sat in and played with a '12 STi Ltd at the dealership the other day when my car was in for service, and it was very nice.

Last edited by ramorendez; 05-01-2012 at 06:54 PM.
ramorendez is offline   United_States
      05-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #33
malter2.0
Banned

Drives: em-funf

Garage List
If you are going to GET 335i, get N55 single turbo ('11+). Far less problems with HPFP, no misfire or injector recalls. You also get valvetronic and another 2mpg on already excellent gas mileage.

STI, much like EVO is more purpose built car. With 2 kids it is not a sensible choice. Suspension is rougher and road noise will annoy you.
malter2.0 is offline   United_States
      05-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #34
CUTigers
Captain

Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 335i

Garage List
2008 Lexus IS F  [5.00]
2008 e90 335i  [4.50]
plus the sti body and doors are hollow and flimsy, feels like im shutting a tin can as the door bends.
CUTigers is offline   United_States
      05-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #35
richpike
Captain

Drives: L322 RR, E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by malter2.0 View Post
If you are going to GET 335i, get N55 single turbo ('11+). Far less problems with HPFP, no misfire or injector recalls. You also get valvetronic and another 2mpg on already excellent gas mileage.
Ha! I specifically tried to find a N54 vs N55

-Rich

Best Stock 1/4 time = 14.1 @ 99.4 at Bandimere Speedway (DA = 7,400ft ASL; 13.5 @ 103 corrected)
      05-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #36
duckJAI

I'm not nit-picking about interior or lack of quality in build, but specifically looking at what is going to cost me more at the end of the life of the vehicle.

I'm prepared to take either vehicle to the track, with a set of some good suspension and semi-r compound tires so road noise is not a bother, as to rawness.

Having a car that can perform when I want/need it do, and being reliable is more of the purpose of the vehicle. Not really interested in status and image, I just want something I can kick around town and take to the track when I get the itch, but be reliable when I need to go to work.

Weekend warrior type car.

Both have amazing aftermarket support, and the N54 does have slightly more potential than the boxer engine, and is more compliant when pushed to the limits.

My main worry with the BMW is once i start to enjoy the car, the small little things will start to malfunction and the windows, or locks and other annyoing things will start to break and add up. Waterpumps going at 70-90k, turbos, wastegates and injectors start acting up etc etc.
      05-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #37
david 335is
Boss

Drives: 2012 BMW 335is

05-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #38
Snkypete
Private

Drives: 08 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2000 Mustang GT  [0.00]
2008 BMW X5  [0.00]
I'm not sure I would say that the N54 is more compliant when pushed to the limits. The boxer engine is quite capable.

I think you really need to make a list of what your needs are and prioritize what is important to you (which you started in your third paragraph). I put nearly 120k on my Subaru in 4 years and only changed bulbs and brakes (and of course fluids and scheduled PM). I didn't have a single part fail. In that regard it was an amazing vehicle.

Something being track worthy and loud at the track is quite different than noise in a DD. Personally I drive 100mi/day and I absolutely welcome the refinement of the E90 over the WRX.

Honestly from the little bit of prioritizing you stated above the STi might just be better for you simply due to the price difference. You could take the additional funds and build an excellent STi.
      05-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #39
E92ML
Captain

Drives: E92 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I can't believe I'm reading a serious post where someone is comparing a BMW with a Subaru and can't decide which one is the better car...
lol

Performance: JB4 ECU, CP-E DP's, WW BMS Meth Kit, AR meth elbow, BMS DCI, AFE Intake Scoops,
Exterior: Enkruez 19" H8R, H&R Spacers, Aero Lip, Tint, ACS Roof Spoiler, HID AE's, HID Fogs, Black Grills, Sport Pedals
E92ML is offline   United_States
      05-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #40
ndog14
Banned

Drives: E90 328xi 6MT

335, if you get 09 or newer you avoid early of the problems with the N54 like fuel injectors and other stuff. There is always the worry about the hpfp but that is covered till 120k.

BTW, thank goodness its not another E46 M3 v E92 335 thread. About once a week for one of those.
ndog14 is offline   United_States
      05-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #41
duckJAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snkypete View Post
I'm not sure I would say that the N54 is more compliant when pushed to the limits. The boxer engine is quite capable.

I think you really need to make a list of what your needs are and prioritize what is important to you (which you started in your third paragraph). I put nearly 120k on my Subaru in 4 years and only changed bulbs and brakes (and of course fluids and scheduled PM). I didn't have a single part fail. In that regard it was an amazing vehicle.

Something being track worthy and loud at the track is quite different than noise in a DD. Personally I drive 100mi/day and I absolutely welcome the refinement of the E90 over the WRX.

Honestly from the little bit of prioritizing you stated above the STi might just be better for you simply due to the price difference. You could take the additional funds and build an excellent STi.
Actually, the BMW 335i would be cheaper since it would be an 08/09, as opposed to a newer STi.
      05-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #42
floss ur teeth
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2011 Jet Black 328i xDrive

I would go with an older STI.. cheaper, lower maintenance, and the potential to be very fast. I had a stage 3 02' WRX for 6 years with not one problem and I beat the hell out of it. Don't expect this from a BMW.
      05-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #43
Snkypete
Private

Drives: 08 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2000 Mustang GT  [0.00]
2008 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Actually, the BMW 335i would be cheaper since it would be an 08/09, as opposed to a newer STi.

Ah well ok that's not a fair comparison then. MY to MY there would be a cost savings.

How many miles do you drive every day?
      05-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #44
TerpE90

Drives: 08 Red E90 335i

Just switched from an 06 Evo.

Evo was just balls to the walls fast head turner. Nothing could touch you on the street.

The BMW is a more mature daily driver, but can still turn heads. Still fast, and can be made to be balls to the walls fast.

I see it as more of a Evo/Sti Vs. Supra/Skyline
All 4 can be fast as hell, but 2 of those have a higher quality build associated with them from the ground up.