E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Magnaflow Drooone!!!! Wife Is Gonna Kill Me!!!

04-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Drives: E90 N52 AT

Magnaflow Drooone!!!! Wife Is Gonna Kill Me!!!

Hi Guys,

I just installed my custom made Detailaddict exhaust with quad tips for my m3 rep rear. The work on the midpipes is amazing. Space is limited in the rear so it was harder to fab the quad tips but that is a side note.....

I went with the magnaflow muffler. This one.

I will post a video but the drone is killing my ears. One night of it and I couldn't stop laughing out of fear that my wife was going to destroy me and not to mention the ringing in my ears. Seriously....I laughed a lot.

Now comes the time where I think of alternatives. I do not want to go back to stock. I don't want to put cats back in either. I am thinking I need to fit another muffler somewhere.

These are my pipes. 2.5" in the dual section and 3" in the single section.

I am thinking that if God chooses to bless me, in the long single 3" section I might be able to fit one of these.

They are vibrant stainless steel race mufflers. They say they are meant to silence race cars. Although my 2.5l N52 is far from a race car It needs to be shut up at 2000 to 2750RPM.

Vibrant sells a 3" inlet 9" long version and a 5" long version. Both are 3.75" diameter overall. I'm hoping that I can fit it.

Anyone that has experience with the magnaflow mufflers or has used a vibrant muffler to deaden the sound please chime in. My family thanks you. Oh yeah. Baby #2 is on the way and the baby will thank you too.

Overall, the car sounds soooo sexxy at idle with pure grumble. Outside of the dreaded 2000-2750RPM range it is also sooo nice. Not to mention there are dyno'd gains to be had. I hope I can fix this problem so I can have my expensive cake and eat it too.

Last edited by mapleridge; 04-29-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 03:11 AM   #2
johnniewalker
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 328 xdrive

man, can't wait for the video!
      04-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90

I have a vibrant bottle neck resonator. But I replaced that with the OEM res when I did my muffler delete. Wouldn't a resonator be better than a race muffler? I have no clue though lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
man, can't wait for the video!
should have it done later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy650 View Post
I have a vibrant bottle neck resonator. But I replaced that with the OEM res when I did my muffler delete. Wouldn't a resonator be better than a race muffler? I have no clue though lol.
Resonator removes rasp from cat less cars but the mufflers remove the drone. This is my understanding. I was also recommended a dynomax product. I am thinking I need to add a small muffler and a resonator ideally. This is the dynoflow race muffler. It says it lowers sound by 4db. Anyone ever use this?

This one is 3.5 outer diameter and about 6.5" long.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Id say get 2 race resonators, place them as cats and it'll deaden most of the droning, or you could try using/makeshifting an actuator valve so it only opens wide when you floor it and stays shut on 0-75% throttle. I hear arma makes this for their variable valve exhaust and its remote controlled. If you are still unhappy, id throw 1 cat right before the muffler to silence it a bit
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Drives: '07 E90 328i

Video drumroll..................
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Wrngway
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '11 328i Sedan A6

My wife was my fiance when I installed 3.42 gears in my Z28 with a cutout. I kid you not, hearing protection was needed when we went on long trips. Wives are not as forgiving as fiances.

I'm driving a 328i now.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
RupertPupkin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Freak Beast

muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E90 323I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrngway View Post
My wife was my fiance when I installed 3.42 gears in my Z28 with a cutout. I kid you not, hearing protection was needed when we went on long trips. Wives are not as forgiving as fiances.

I'm driving a 328i now.
lol.. so it is really drone when on the highway??
any solutions on fix the drone?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 01:06 AM   #10
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
Id say get 2 race resonators, place them as cats and it'll deaden most of the droning, or you could try using/makeshifting an actuator valve so it only opens wide when you floor it and stays shut on 0-75% throttle. I hear arma makes this for their variable valve exhaust and its remote controlled. If you are still unhappy, id throw 1 cat right before the muffler to silence it a bit
don't know how the cut out would help as the sound is bad when the muffler is in use. The cut out would probably only magnify the magnadrone muffler. I could throw a cat back on but Hello restriction and loss of the minimal gains I was after with this sytem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Hi.Red.Devil View Post
Video drumroll..................
My video skills suck. The end of the 5 minute long video is where you can get an idea of the drone.

The second video is pure suck. Just got back from Chuck E Cheese with the wife and kid and she told me to stop because its Sunday. Probably right. I am new to exhausts and I am sure it will piss off neighbours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrngway View Post

I'm driving a 328i now.
I can't stand it myself either. Plus my daughter said, Daddy, my ears hurt...... Don't like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.bmw View Post
lol.. so it is really drone when on the highway??
any solutions on fix the drone?
its drone whenever I hit 2000-2500 RPM. Outside of that it is throaty and loud still but way more manageable....

I need some people who have used either the vibrant or the dynomax products to give me some feedback. Or anyone who has fixed this problem in the past..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #11
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Or you could trade that magnaflow in and find the magnaflow turbo. Its a lot quieter and not so much power lossage, a cut out will just actually enhance the drone because there's no muffler at all
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #12
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
Rep

Drives: 06 330i 6MT

It's the midpipes. Granted the video quality is not the best, but my Magnaflow does not do this all all (all stock piping other than the muffler).
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
Or you could trade that magnaflow in and find the magnaflow turbo. Its a lot quieter and not so much power lossage, a cut out will just actually enhance the drone because there's no muffler at all
Unless the muffler has the exact size specs all the quad fabrication would go in the dumps. I am hoping adding resonators and or mufflers will reduce the drone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
It's the midpipes. Granted the video quality is not the best, but my Magnaflow does not do this all all (all stock piping other than the muffler).
I think its A mix of factors. You have resonator and cats no? My piping is much larger than yours as well.

My options are two vibrant race mufflers or two dynomax glass mufflers. I could Aldo mix the two. The magnaflow one won't work as I have about 18"at one point and 7" at another.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
Chrispy650
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90

Damn that drone is pretty crazy haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #15
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Alright.....the research continues. I missed the 4" and 5" round magnaflow mufflers. It looks like they are used in the stock cat back system and most people love that sound.

This looks to be it and in terms of length it should work for me.

Guys....I am desperate for info from people who have actually fought against drone and won.

Here are pics of the system on the car for those who asked.

Last edited by mapleridge; 05-01-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 04:02 AM   #16
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Oh man just hearing the revs I can imagine how loud your car is when I had the prototype in mine. That's really loud even with stock intake yeah? Should've said in the video "Jason you were right it is LOUD"! Did your wife already complain? End of the video she asked if you were going to take it out haha aww man, it's still nice though. Just keep working on lessening the drone. Your set up hasn't broken in yet, it'll just get louder.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #17
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Hi.Red.Devil View Post
Oh man just hearing the revs I can imagine how loud your car is when I had the prototype in mine. That's really loud even with stock intake yeah? Should've said in the video "Jason you were right it is LOUD"! Did your wife already complain? End of the video she asked if you were going to take it out haha aww man, it's still nice though. Just keep working on lessening the drone. Your set up hasn't broken in yet, it'll just get louder.
Jason....you were right. I am leaning quite hard towards getting the magnaflow muffler in the post above. The round one. they have a similar one in their cat back. I am really praying it will work or else I'm screwed. I'm going to go nuts if it gets any louder.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #18
boogiee90
POGI
Philippines
Rep

Drives: 06 E90 Jet black

Garage List
2006 e90  [2.75]
That sounds bad
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

I'm getting zero suggestions around here......Maybe I need to start a new thread? Only about mufflers and resonators?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #20
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

Just confirmed with magnaflow tech line that the stock E90 cat back uses the 14866 resonator. It is the 5" round muffler. He said if I could fit a 6" it would be a 5 to 10% increase over the the 5" in reducing drone. Part# 12619. I hope this works.....Only last question would be if someone thinks the vibrant ultra quiet resonator would be better than the magnaflow.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #21
mapleridge
Banned
Rep

For those who are following and might have suggestions I found this write up on reducing cabin noise.

http://matrixowners.com/index.php?/t...ise-and-drone/

It might work for our cars too. Although I want to lower the sound outside the car too. That boom sound isn't cool.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 01:16 AM   #22
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Ask magnaflow tmrw what is the next part above that to remove drone, just in case that part still won't be enough to lessen drone.
Appreciate 0