E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Trying to identify this sensor

06-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
Yzandrl
newbie.

Drives: Alpine Weiss 330i

Question Trying to identify this sensor

I've been trying to identify this sensor on an 06 330i/N52 MSV70 engine. No codes are given or can be pulled but this appears out of spec.

In INPA it shows as Spannung Sekundarluft !0.35 under Messwertblock ADC

I've read that this is likely a secondary air sensor/pre cat o2 sensor and that it is only on US spec vehicles. Can anyone add a little info? Do I need to check for a broken wire or replace it? Why would it not give a code; I would expect it to even light the SES/CEL light being emissions related.
Attached Images

Yzandrl is offline   Germany
      06-26-2014, 01:04 AM   #2
Love The Drive
Private First Class

Drives: E90 MT N51

Found this thread with a guy having the same exact problem. First answer is very helpful.
I used google translate, so ignore the minor errors.
I see you're in Germany, so looks like you can just ignore it.

ORIGINAL POST WITH CONCERN:

"I have allowed my thick NEN complete engine check. So even gone through everything with Inpa once. It is a me! noticed under the item. Voltage secondary air measuring value block ADC. Green range is 4.9-5.1 V Mine has 0.33 V
I have browsed times in other posts and a secondary air there is in the N52 does not, correct? Therefore, this value?

So there's something wrong. What is it and what can it bring forth for causes.

Achso. Have raised to 700rpm the Leerlaufdrezahl. Is standard I think 600 or?
Is that okay and there are objections here? At 600 it vibrates slightly.

THX Greeting Chris"

REPLY:

"Hello!

The N52 engines have in EU, no secondary air, only the U.S. versions

Therefore, this value is ignored

The idle speed is adjusted without air conditioning to approximately 630 1/min - with air to 670 1/min.

The 600 1/min come too little for me before - but that also looks manchman only so because it above the line (500 1/min) is only slightly without air conditioning in the N52 engine - I would sometimes just have a look at the secret menu, which exact (digital) speed prevails.

Regards,

BMW_Verrückter"
      06-26-2014, 07:26 AM   #3
Yzandrl
newbie.

Drives: Alpine Weiss 330i

Thank you for checking into this. I did find that post; but have a US SPEC vehicle in Germany so it does not apply. I must say that your effort to answer the question is greatly appreciated. Reading the post, I see it refers to idle and air conditioning but I am led to believe this is a secondary air, emissions component. I'd like to check to see where this component should be located and check if it is loose on contacts or altogether defective.
Yzandrl is offline   Germany
      06-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Love The Drive
Private First Class

Drives: E90 MT N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzandrl View Post
Thank you for checking into this. I did find that post; but have a US SPEC vehicle in Germany so it does not apply. I must say that your effort to answer the question is greatly appreciated. Reading the post, I see it refers to idle and air conditioning but I am led to believe this is a secondary air, emissions component. I'd like to check to see where this component should be located and check if it is loose on contacts or altogether defective.
No problem at all, always glad to help people out.
Seems like the US vehicles have a "secondary air pump" that blows air into the secondary catalytic converters, to warm them up for efficiency, on start up.
That's what I put together from a little more reading.
One other thread suggests that there could be a crack in the plastic connectors in the pump, and that's why it's not working properly.