E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 330i muffler on a 328i...

01-11-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
Greyfox
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

330i muffler on a 328i...

I've searched several forums because I remember reading somewhere that the 330i is the "poor man's" exhaust upgrade for the 328i but I cannot find that information again.

Is this true or am I dreaming about a cheap upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #2
TheAxiom
Major General
Japan
Rep
Drives: E92 6 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I've searched several forums because I remember reading somewhere that the 330i is the "poor man's" exhaust upgrade for the 328i but I cannot find that information again.

Is this true or am I dreaming about a cheap upgrade?
Dreaming. I would get a aftermarket high flow muffler and have some tips welded on it. If you don't plan to do anything else to the exhaust, a Mangaflow sounds pretty good - but they get louder if you start deleting catalytic converters and the like.
Borla is also a high flow like the Magnaflow, but usually are quieter.

Both are fairly cheap and can pick up a few HP while sounding batter than stock.
      01-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
Rival
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Dreaming. I would get a aftermarket high flow muffler and have some tips welded on it. If you don't plan to do anything else to the exhaust, a Mangaflow sounds pretty good - but they get louder if you start deleting catalytic converters and the like.
Borla is also a high flow like the Magnaflow, but usually are quieter.

Both are fairly cheap and can pick up a few HP while sounding batter than stock.
x2x

pick a borla or magnaflow from summit racing n call it a day. Sheet, you could even toss on a bullet muffler if you wanted.
      01-11-2017, 04:48 PM   #4
6IX-F10-N52
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i N52

On top of this, it is highly recommended you delete your secondary cats if you are looking for a deeper, more throaty exhaust note along with some decent (roughly 5hp) gains + some more engine sound mixed in there. throttle response will improve as well.

I currently have my secondaries deleted and its not bad with the rest of the stock exhaust, but I will be upgrading the restrictive muffler with something like a Magnaflow.

going this route will save you a reasonable amount of change compared to going with a full catback and while it wont sound quite as good,it's still going to flow well and sound not bad at all. the stock exhaust/piping design for the N52 is actually quite good with the only real restrictions (other then primary cats of course) being the secondaries and stock muffler. get rid of these and call it a day.

the 330i muffler is basically the same as the 328i, just slightly louder. dont waste your money.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #5
Jacobi
Rep
Drives: 325i

Some users of this forum say that the best combo in terms of cost/sound is secondary cat delete + resonator delete + PE.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #6
TheAxiom
Major General
Japan
Rep
Drives: E92 6 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobi View Post
Some users of this forum say that the best combo in terms of cost/sound is secondary cat delete + resonator delete + PE.
PE is great, but at almost $1000, it's not winning anything on cost.