E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > custom dyno tune 335d



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
sohcpunk
Second Lieutenant
sohcpunk's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
288
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Socal

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
custom dyno tune 335d

New to the 335d tuning scene as I will be picking up a 335d towards the end of the week. I've been researching what the best way to tune it is. I come from driving an Evo X so we have a lot of tuners in Los Angeles that do custom dyno tuning using open source Ecuflash or the Cobb Accessport. I noticed with the 335d they have off the shelf chips or maps that get installed or flash. I was never really a big fan of these with my Evo X as the flashes are just generic tunes and not made specifically for the car, mods, and elevation. Does anybody know if there are any custom dyno tuners in the Socal area that can do a tune on the 335d?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
chenry
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
355
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335D M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (3)

Im in OC (Irvine) and dont know of any...that said if you are interested in Burger (JBD etc..) I would be happy to meet you and let you experience the car with their box
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
cssnms
Brigadier General
cssnms's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
3,180
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohcpunk View Post
New to the 335d tuning scene as I will be picking up a 335d towards the end of the week. I've been researching what the best way to tune it is. I come from driving an Evo X so we have a lot of tuners in Los Angeles that do custom dyno tuning using open source Ecuflash or the Cobb Accessport. I noticed with the 335d they have off the shelf chips or maps that get installed or flash. I was never really a big fan of these with my Evo X as the flashes are just generic tunes and not made specifically for the car, mods, and elevation. Does anybody know if there are any custom dyno tuners in the Socal area that can do a tune on the 335d?
The tuning scene here in the US is pretty limited.

With regard to the ECU flash tunes available for the US 335d e.g. Renntech, Evolve, (hopefully Dinan soon), they are not generic in the sense they were desigend/engineered by each of these tuners specfically for your car, the 335d. And considering there is not much in the way of performance mods for the 335d, I don't think you need to worry about a tune supporting that mod. If and when more mods become available I am sure both Renntech and Evolve can make adjustements.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
sohcpunk
Second Lieutenant
sohcpunk's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
288
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Socal

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Thanks for the reply. The reason I'm interested in dyno custom tuning is that all car are different even though they are the same model. Different elevation and different fuel(91 in cali, 93 in other states) can be used. Some cars knock faster than other cars at higher RPMs, it all depends, you can benefit from a dyno tune because the tuner will match his tune specifically to your needs. I'm guessing my only best bet would be a JBD. I believe Cobb has a shop in the OC that does custom dyno tunes on the 335i, however, they don't support the 335d as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
cssnms
Brigadier General
cssnms's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
3,180
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

iTrader: (4)

While I don't disgree in theory I think a custom tune will yield more benefits in gasoline cars. Our engines are much simpler in that regard, nore fuel generally means more power, add in an increase in boost all of the better. Our engines knock all of the time lol. But seriously though I hear what you are saying and I don't disagree that it would be nice to have a tuner customize a tune to your specific xar while on a dyno.

In any event you're right Cobb does not offer anything for the diesel and I do not suspect they will unless someone local with a diesel nags this shit out of them and offers up their car . Beside the JBD your other fuel box options include the VAC module and the DTUK which not only manipulates fueling but also boost pressure and its adjustable although many of the settings can't even be used without throwing the car into limp mode. I am running the JBD which for the price is tough to beat. The only downside is the inconvenience of having to remove it before dealer visits and the potential to throw ses lights or put your car into limp mode at 100%.

Last edited by cssnms; 04-30-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
sohcpunk
Second Lieutenant
sohcpunk's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
288
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Socal

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
That is unfortunate to hear. Coming from an Evo and STI I was always use to just bringing my car to the tuner if I added any mods that change the AF (exhaust, intake, etc). The tuner is able to adjust majority of things on the ECU, including boost, ignition timing, air and fuel ratio and detect and reduce knock to make sure the tune is optimal for the vehicle. I will try out the JBD and see how it works. Just hope it does not throw any errors or cause any engine malfunctions as I have had a friend with a 535i with a JB run into many issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
30
Rep
1,770
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 335d
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohcpunk View Post
That is unfortunate to hear. Coming from an Evo and STI I was always use to just bringing my car to the tuner if I added any mods that change the AF (exhaust, intake, etc). The tuner is able to adjust majority of things on the ECU, including boost, ignition timing, air and fuel ratio and detect and reduce knock to make sure the tune is optimal for the vehicle. I will try out the JBD and see how it works. Just hope it does not throw any errors or cause any engine malfunctions as I have had a friend with a 535i with a JB run into many issues.
welcome to diesel tuning, things are very different!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
cssnms
Brigadier General
cssnms's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
3,180
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

iTrader: (4)

Yep, welcome to club oil burner. It's not why most of bought the d, but at least we have some options. Think of it this way, we are pioneers of sorts.

Be thankful there are even options today, because not to long ago there was nothing available for US cars, before a couple of tuners VAC and JBD came out with their modules. Today there is Evolve and Renntech for flash tuning and I heard from Dinan they are working on a tune. BMS is working on a meth kit for the diesel and he even flirted with the idea of a JBD2 although I think if that even happens it will be a waaays off.

I went out on a limb and had a custom mid cat back exhaust intalled (first in the US as far as i know). Now we just need to get a car and a shop that makes FMIC's together, because I think this will yeild positive results esp for those of us running a tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
30
Rep
1,770
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 335d
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
Yep, welcome to club oil burner. It's not why most of bought the d, but at least we have some options. Think of it this way, we are pioneers of sorts.

Be thankful there are even options today, because not to long ago there was nothing available for US cars, before a couple of tuners VAC and JBD came out with their modules. Today there is Evolve and Renntech for flash tuning and I heard from Dinan they are working on a tune. BMS is working on a meth kit for the diesel and he even flirted with the idea of a JBD2 although I think if that even happens it will be a waaays off.

I went out on a limb and had a custom mid cat back exhaust intalled (first in the US as far as i know). Now we just need to get a car and a shop that makes FMIC's together, because I think this will yeild positive results esp for those of us running a tune.
hows the sound? what about the DPF? What about an intake?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
hotrod2448
grand poobah
hotrod2448's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
2,015
Posts

 
Drives: E70 X5 SG, F10 535i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Welcome. I also came from an Evo to BMW and you're in for a bit of a rude awakening when it comes to the aftermarket. In general it moves much more slowly and is much more limited than the Evo community when it comes to performance.

I'm not familiar with the X's ECU but, I will say BMW's ECU (DME) is pretty advanced and I doubt would really even benefit from a custom tune as it is always making adjustments. BMW is also much more restrictive when it comes to access to the ECU and updates software/security more than any other manufacturer I've ever seen.

The other thing is most tuners here leave a bit more safety margin than they would in the Evo world based mostly off the cost of rebuilding one of the engines being significantly higher so, the demand for a tune that gets another 10 hp over the off the shelf map is pretty limited.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #11
cssnms
Brigadier General
cssnms's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
3,180
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolieman1220 View Post
hows the sound? what about the DPF? What about an intake?
I made an entire thread w/video about it. The sound improvement is marginal, but it's there. A bit more growl which can be heard in the cabin as well as at the rear, but it's only an improvement you will notice since there was virtually no sound before. It's lighter than stock all stainless. I still need to do a follow up dyno.

The DPF was not touched for obvious reasons and the intake is factory. I have not foiund what I would consider a true cold air intake yet. Thinking about trying to fabricate something not unlike the Mr5 intake.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
sohcpunk
Second Lieutenant
sohcpunk's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
288
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Socal

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
Welcome. I also came from an Evo to BMW and you're in for a bit of a rude awakening when it comes to the aftermarket. In general it moves much more slowly and is much more limited than the Evo community when it comes to performance.

I'm not familiar with the X's ECU but, I will say BMW's ECU (DME) is pretty advanced and I doubt would really even benefit from a custom tune as it is always making adjustments. BMW is also much more restrictive when it comes to access to the ECU and updates software/security more than any other manufacturer I've ever seen.

The other thing is most tuners here leave a bit more safety margin than they would in the Evo world based mostly off the cost of rebuilding one of the engines being significantly higher so, the demand for a tune that gets another 10 hp over the off the shelf map is pretty limited.

That makes a lot of sense. Back when I had the Evo, after I got a custom tune, if I added any additional performance mods, ie, intake, exhaust, FMIC, I would need to go back to the tuner to get a complete re-tune. He tells me that adding these components will throw off the settings and might cause the car to run too lean which would cause knocking. I'm thinking my first step with the 335d would to get a JBD since it looks like it's the most widely used chip/tune right now in the US.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
30
Rep
1,770
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 335d
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
I made an entire thread w/video about it. The sound improvement is marginal, but it's there. A bit more growl which can be heard in the cabin as well as at the rear, but it's only an improvement you will notice since there was virtually no sound before. It's lighter than stock all stainless. I still need to do a follow up dyno.

The DPF was not touched for obvious reasons and the intake is factory. I have not foiund what I would consider a true cold air intake yet. Thinking about trying to fabricate something not unlike the Mr5 intake.
gonna go find that video right now. I just want an intake to get some more turbo noise, some spool, some air whistle from the sucking.
Do you get any turbo noise from the exhaust now?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
cssnms
Brigadier General
cssnms's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
3,180
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolieman1220 View Post
gonna go find that video right now. I just want an intake to get some more turbo noise, some spool, some air whistle from the sucking.
Do you get any turbo noise from the exhaust now?
I hear some turbo noise when esp when I first start driving the car while the engine is cold, it sings to me. Not sure if that noise was there before I installed the exhaust.

As for an intake check out nevob's thread and the instake he installed along with a heat shield fabricated by AT Speed. Looks cool as hell and he said he can really hear the turbo now.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST