E90Post
 


VIBE Motorsports
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY -Illuminated sunglass tray



Comment
 
Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
DIY -Illuminated sunglass tray
Published by FrankoQ
10-08-2006
DIY -Illuminated sunglass tray

If you are switching from the cigarrete tray to the sunglasses tray and want
to keep the little light inside... this is how to do it.

1) This are the instructions to replace the tray:
http://e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7049

To have the illumimated tray, follow the instructions below.

2) Once you remove the cigarrete tray, you will find that there is a wire
harness which has the plug and wires leading to 2 amber led lights.
One light is for the tray and one is to illuminate the ring around the lighter.
Name:  DSC03932.JPG
Views: 33783
Size:  100.9 KB

3) remove the wire harness from the tray. Cut the wires as close as you can from the lighter piece.

4) the sunglasses tray is a two piece assembly. separate the two pieces
by pulling out from the sides and then pull back as indicated in the arrows
in the picture.
Name:  DSC03933.JPG
Views: 33630
Size:  101.8 KB

5) you will end up with this.
Name:  DSC03886.JPG
Views: 33628
Size:  103.0 KB

6) Up to you where you want to make the holes.
In my case, the holes are about 1.25 inches from the side and about 3/4
inch from the top. Use a drill with a small drill bit to make the first hole.
Then use larger drill bits until you make a hole big enough for the
bulb to fit.
WARNING: be extremely gentle making the holes as you want the front
of the tray to look good and no chips or scratches.
Holes from the back...
Name:  DSC03899.JPG
Views: 33534
Size:  102.1 KB

7) Now, you are ready to attach the bulbs to the tray.
The bulbs are attached to a square piece. see pic below.
I did not want the bulb right against the tray plastic so I glued "spacers"
to the edges of the bulb sides and then glued the bulbs to the tray.
I used 5 minutes epoxy.
Name:  DSC03935.JPG
Views: 35047
Size:  132.0 KB

Name:  DSC03900.JPG
Views: 33387
Size:  97.8 KB

8) Use electrical tape or duct tape to secure the wires to the tray.
Remember that you are attaching the bulbs in tight space since the lid will be
going up and down there. So secure the wires with tape so they do not
interfere with the movement of the tray lid.

9) Run the wires to the driver side (left side)

10) re assemble the tray. make sure the wires are not in the way of the moving lid mechanism.
Name:  DSC03903.JPG
Views: 33331
Size:  91.0 KB

11) wiring connection time...
Each of the bulbs have a brown and red wire.
The plug from the car has a thick red, a thick brown, and 2 thin red wires.
The idea is to preserve the plug so you just connect it back to the car.

Connect all 3 brown wires together (the thick one to the 2 thin ones).
I did not use quick connectors for this. I used the regular house wiring connectors for #16 gauge wire.
You won't need the thick red wire. So, either tape it with electrical tape or put another connector on it to make sure the wire is not exposed.
We are now done wiring.

12) follow the directions in the original sunglasses tray DIY to install everything back together.

Enjoy...
Name:  DSC03910.JPG
Views: 33269
Size:  95.3 KB
Name:  DSC03911.JPG
Views: 33221
Size:  87.0 KB

This is how it looks at night. :rocks:
Name:  DSC03929.JPG
Views: 33136
Size:  70.1 KB

Now go have a drink to celebrate your handy work.
__________________

I need a drink

Tutorial Tools
  #1  
By oneshare325 on 10-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Great write up!! Thanks man!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
By nmulax on 10-08-2006, 11:23 AM
sweet DIY.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
By bavarian19 on 10-09-2006, 09:16 AM
awesome mod!!!


So when are we going to get you a pair of euro's
Reply With Quote
  #4  
By FrankoQ on 10-09-2006, 09:21 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
awesome mod!!!


So when are we going to get you a pair of euro's
No euros for me.
Like you, I need to start some house projects.

Ironically, my sunglasses don't fit in the tray.
But, it's perfect to hold my cell phone.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
By KL2DC on 10-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Dayem...they do look good, I guess perseverence pays off

When are you going to do mine?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
By cntlaw on 10-09-2006, 10:16 AM
very smart , well done!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
By FrankoQ on 10-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC
Dayem...they do look good, I guess perseverence pays off

When are you going to do mine?
Are you serious?
remember I have your cigarrete tray. I can start work on that and install it
either at the meeting or some other day.

BTW, I installed the fog light bulbs you graciously handed to me.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
By KL2DC on 10-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Frank...congrats on making the e90post Master DIY list again....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
By FrankoQ on 10-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC
Frank...congrats on making the e90post Master DIY list again....
I did? wow. whoohoo! Thanks Jason.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
By dejav0o on 10-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Damn nice Frank... I placed an order for the sunglasses holder last week, and was planning to do some DIY to get the lights to work with it, but I guess you beat me to it. Great job!!!

I was planning to install my lights on the front side instead of the back, so it'll point upwards a little instead of straight down into the holder. Do you think this would work also? or would it look a little weird?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
By Mystic330 on 10-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Just completed this mod over the w/e...

One thing I did was to crimp 2 pieces of 12Ga to where the cig plug used to connect (ground wire to all the brown wires, and the red wire). Then I ran them back through the center console to power my rear cig plugs (whenever my part comes in!) - See DYI http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29773
This way my rear plugs won't be drawing current through the same wires as my center power outlet...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
By bavarian19 on 10-09-2006, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankoQ
No euros for me.
Like you, I need to start some house projects.

Ironically, my sunglasses don't fit in the tray.
But, it's perfect to hold my cell phone.

Whats on the house mod list???


Im going to start listing those in my sig being as they will take up all the free time in my life (and money)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
By FrankoQ on 10-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic330
Just completed this mod over the w/e...

One thing I did was to crimp 2 pieces of 12Ga to where the cig plug used to connect (ground wire to all the brown wires, and the red wire). Then I ran them back through the center console to power my rear cig plugs (whenever my part comes in!) - See DYI http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29773
This way my rear plugs won't be drawing current through the same wires as my center power outlet...
hehe. I kind of did the same thing.
I ran wires to the back to power my rear outlets. see picture below with
sticking out red an black wires.
I did not post that on the DIY to not confuse others that were just doing the
sunglasses tray.
But I did both mods in one pass: sunglasses tray and rear power outlets.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
By FrankoQ on 10-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejav0o
Damn nice Frank... I placed an order for the sunglasses holder last week, and was planning to do some DIY to get the lights to work with it, but I guess you beat me to it. Great job!!!

I was planning to install my lights on the front side instead of the back, so it'll point upwards a little instead of straight down into the holder. Do you think this would work also? or would it look a little weird?
My original design was to install them at front too.
But, I was looking at following the current design.
If you look at the current, the bulb shoots light upward.
but the tray has a plastic piece and hood to reflect the light down.
I could not replicate the same effect without risking damaging the tray.

My second idea was to put the lights on the sides.
This will not work as there is little room to play because of the spring mechanism for the lid.

So my 3rd solution was the winner for me.

IMO, installing the bulbs at front will not look as good.
Like you said, the lights will shoot up and won't "light anything"
when you look at my final design, you see 2 things:
1) 2 nice little round holes shooting amber light
2) you see the bottom of the tray lighted amber
Reply With Quote
  #15  
By Asiann on 10-09-2006, 08:37 PM
I might have to go out and get the sunglass kit and do the conversion! These are the types of threads I want to read about!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
By txusa03 on 10-10-2006, 02:28 PM
nice customized work and nice DIY...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
By dejav0o on 10-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic330
Just completed this mod over the w/e...

One thing I did was to crimp 2 pieces of 12Ga to where the cig plug used to connect (ground wire to all the brown wires, and the red wire). Then I ran them back through the center console to power my rear cig plugs (whenever my part comes in!) - See DYI http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29773
This way my rear plugs won't be drawing current through the same wires as my center power outlet...

I thought the light only turns on when you turn on your headlights? So the part I don't understand is if you connect it up to those wires, wouldn't the rear adaptor only be usable when the lights are on? Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
By Joop! on 10-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Handy DIY
Reply With Quote
  #19  
By KL2DC on 10-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankoQ
Are you serious?
remember I have your cigarrete tray. I can start work on that and install it
either at the meeting or some other day.

BTW, I installed the fog light bulbs you graciously handed to me.
Thanks!
Hmmmm the more I look at this mod, the more I like it. Let me think if I still want to add on an XM unit up front

Glad the fog lights worked out...I just wanted a good home for them
Reply With Quote
  #20  
By FrankoQ on 10-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejav0o
I thought the light only turns on when you turn on your headlights? So the part I don't understand is if you connect it up to those wires, wouldn't the rear adaptor only be usable when the lights are on? Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Nice catch... here is the explanation:
The lights inside the tray are on one circuit and are controlled by the
outside light switch.
The actual cigarrete lighter is on another circuit. This is the one that powers the rear outlets.
This one to work needs the keyfob in (the engine does not need to be on)

Both circuits are on the same wire hardness.
I hope that answers your question.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
By FrankoQ on 10-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
1
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
1
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
1
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC
Hmmmm the more I look at this mod, the more I like it. Let me think if I still want to add on an XM unit up front

Glad the fog lights worked out...I just wanted a good home for them
Oh yeah I forgot you were planning on getting XM.
well, just let me know if you want the lights.
Reply With Quote
Comment

Bookmarks

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Search this Tutorial:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST