E90Post
 


Horizon LED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M3 Control Arms (wishbones) on E92 335i



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Monster900
Zeed
Monster900's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
407
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit, MI

iTrader: (0)

M3 Control Arms (wishbones) on E92 335i

I just installed M3 lower control arm only (rest of suspension is stock) and have noticed while taking for a test drive that when turning, car wants to keep turning (doesn't straiten itself) which looks like the caster is off. Do I need to install tension strut (upper arms) to make it right or will alignment fix it? Some on this forum say that there is no caster adjustment in our cars, is that true?

Thanks for your help guys
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
ECSTuning
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
ECSTuning's Avatar
United_States
152
Rep
5,420
Posts


 
Drives: Independent Tuning Specialists
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (18)

Send a message via AIM to ECSTuning
Anytime you remove any suspension component it's a good idea to get the car properly aligned. I would start with that and see how the car drives afterwords.
__________________

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
Thumperx
Major
United_States
19
Rep
1,334
Posts

 
Drives: 335I coupe
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SE Michigan

iTrader: (75)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
Anytime you remove any suspension component it's a good idea to get the car properly aligned. I would start with that and see how the car drives afterwords.
Agreed with above statement. I think you're correct about the caster issue. There seems to be an absent of high self-centering tire action which is not of being counter balanced by the typical amount of small negative caster settings in the suspension.

Have the car aligned, and see how the car behaves. If the problem remains, then install the tension arm. I'm not experiencing the type is issue that you've stated.

In general, this is an example where one uses only one segment of the M3 suspension and causes more harm than good. Using ALL of the M3 bits (frt &rr) really makes the handling shines on the E9X cars.
__________________
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
NJ 1161
Major
NJ 1161's Avatar
20
Rep
1,089
Posts

 
Drives: 335D M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Did the tracking fix this? Just had arms fitted and drives horribly. Shop says toe in way out and doing this week, which I'm hoping fixes?

Loads of tyre noise and resistance currently, and as you said dosnt straighten it self.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
mlifxs's Avatar
24
Rep
1,791
Posts

 
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ 1161 View Post
Did the tracking fix this? Just had arms fitted and drives horribly. Shop says toe in way out and doing this week, which I'm hoping fixes?

Loads of tyre noise and resistance currently, and as you said dosnt straighten it self.
think if you increase (negative) camber, which the wishbones do, you push toe out. When I pulled my alignment pins and increased my camber, that's what happened.

OP I'm also curious if an alignment cured your problem. I've considered just adding M3 wishbones without tension struts. Your post made me wonder if there's a problem doing so. Hope your alignment fixed things.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
e679
Private First Class
e679's Avatar
Hong Kong
1
Rep
117
Posts

 
Drives: E93
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster900
I just installed M3 lower control arm only (rest of suspension is stock) and have noticed while taking for a test drive that when turning, car wants to keep turning (doesn't straiten itself) which looks like the caster is off. Do I need to install tension strut (upper arms) to make it right or will alignment fix it? Some on this forum say that there is no caster adjustment in our cars, is that true?

Thanks for your help guys
I having just installed the m3 bits also. The issue will be fix once you have your alignment done (to correct the toe in)
Do expect a heavier, better response steering after the mod.
__________________
E93 335i Alpine White, 19" Works, PSS, M3 arms, M3 bushings,M3 E93 FSB/E92 RSB, powerflex rear diff bush.
AST 5100 with M3 rear camber arms. GC street plates.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Monster900
Zeed
Monster900's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
407
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e679 View Post
I having just installed the m3 bits also. The issue will be fix once you have your alignment done (to correct the toe in)
Do expect a heavier, better response steering after the mod.
^ This. There is no need to install tension arms while installing lower control arms (wishbouns).
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
mlifxs's Avatar
24
Rep
1,791
Posts

 
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster900 View Post
^ This. There is no need to install tension arms while installing lower control arms (wishbouns).
great, thanks for responding and glad it worked out
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
NJ 1161
Major
NJ 1161's Avatar
20
Rep
1,089
Posts

 
Drives: 335D M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Picking mine up tomorrow, but they have told me via phone phone that adjusting toe in/ out has sorted it. Will confirm once picked up.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:31 AM   #10
Evil///M
Professional Hitman
United_States
8
Rep
541
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Street. E36 M3 Track.
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: 719/856

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2007 335i  [4.25]
Awesome, I just did mine tonight and noticed the same thing, I even made another thread about it. This has solved my issue.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST