E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Retrofitting a Professional HU with USB and Bluetooth



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #89
4EST
Private
4EST's Avatar
0
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: E90 320d LCI
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brasov, RO

iTrader: (0)

I installed the microphone today. I used the included microphone (vw part). It works fine, but I had to use heated silicone glue to stick it into it's place, because it's smaller than the BMW part. otherwise it works the same.

I tried first to route the mic cable on the passenger side. If you are considering this, DON'T try it. The wire was about 20cm too short, and I realized this just when I got to the headliner part.
So I had to remove it and re-route it on the driver side. The wire was more than enough on this side because:
1) HU connector is on the left
2) I installed the microphone on the left side of the dome light switch
3) on the passenger side you have to go around the glove storage

Works fine now. I have to read to see what the voice commands do

The only problem I still have is the gong volume waaay to loud. I've coded kombi HU_VERBAU to radiostufe_2 for now, hopefully this will use older gong speaker (haven't tested yet) untill I figure out how to lower volume
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #90
woodpecka
Major
woodpecka's Avatar
Canada
19
Rep
1,029
Posts

Drives: E91
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EST
I installed the microphone today. I used the included microphone (vw part). It works fine, but I had to use heated silicone glue to stick it into it's place, because it's smaller than the BMW part. otherwise it works the same.

I tried first to route the mic cable on the passenger side. If you are considering this, DON'T try it. The wire was about 20cm too short, and I realized this just when I got to the headliner part.
So I had to remove it and re-route it on the driver side. The wire was more than enough on this side because:
1) HU connector is on the left
2) I installed the microphone on the left side of the dome light switch
3) on the passenger side you have to go around the glove storage

Works fine now. I have to read to see what the voice commands do

The only problem I still have is the gong volume waaay to loud. I've coded kombi HU_VERBAU to radiostufe_2 for now, hopefully this will use older gong speaker (haven't tested yet) untill I figure out how to lower volume
Good progress!

So the vw connectors work on the radio?

How is the sound quality when driving? Any sound cancellation / quality issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 09:08 AM   #91
4EST
Private
4EST's Avatar
0
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: E90 320d LCI
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brasov, RO

iTrader: (0)

the mic wires end with 2 pin connectors that you insert in the bmw plastic connector. Pins are the same vw/bmw, so they will work

Haven't tested bluetooth on the road, only when stationary and worked great, other person did not know I was on carkit
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #92
woodpecka
Major
woodpecka's Avatar
Canada
19
Rep
1,029
Posts

Drives: E91
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EST View Post
the mic wires end with 2 pin connectors that you insert in the bmw plastic connector. Pins are the same vw/bmw, so they will work

Haven't tested bluetooth on the road, only when stationary and worked great, other person did not know I was on carkit
Good to know. Let us know how it goes on the road.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #93
FreeVisalusBMW
New Member
0
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i, 2009 x5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (1)

great guide!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #94
robert3
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: coming soon
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_JN View Post
Keep in mind that if you dont have a e93 or e88 the mic reference is different!
Because convertibles have the mic at the steering wheel column but others have it at the roof lights module!
Does anyone have any details on how to dismantle and install the mic in the steering wheel column (e93)? Do you need to remove the wheel, or can the housing be removed separately?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #95
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Jose_JN's Avatar
Spain
26
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: e93 330d
Join Date: May 2011
Location: http://www.youtube.com/josejjn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert3 View Post
Does anyone have any details on how to dismantle and install the mic in the steering wheel column (e93)? Do you need to remove the wheel, or can the housing be removed separately?
If you see the video, you will find how I did it!
It is not necessary to remove the steering wheel, I used an steel rod (bended) and I pulled the cover with it.

Regards.
__________________
Why don't do it by your self?
Retrofitting is always possible!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #96
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Jose_JN's Avatar
Spain
26
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: e93 330d
Join Date: May 2011
Location: http://www.youtube.com/josejjn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EST View Post
I installed the radio, but I can't connect to it.

The error I get is:
COAPI-2020: no answer from ECU
IFH-0009: no response from controllunit

When I press process ECU, I can only choose 2RAD, and I think I should see there 2URAD. I think ncsexpert tries to connect to the old 2RAD I removed, but now instead there is 2URAD and this could be the reason

Any advice?
You have to change your production date to #0311 and then try again.

Regards
__________________
Why don't do it by your self?
Retrofitting is always possible!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #97
4EST
Private
4EST's Avatar
0
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: E90 320d LCI
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brasov, RO

iTrader: (0)

more info: I tried Steuergeraete_reset from tools32 and lost both BT and USB. I could not bring them back with SG_RESET

Then I started messing with ncsexpert and I found out something interesting, I think:
Codierindex_lessen reades and generates the NFW_PSW.TRC file
I added 6NN and #0311 to my VO, then did SG_CODIEREN. It failed, of course, but after SG_RESET, both options were back. I tried without #0311, only USB comes back

So I think somehow the radio does get coded even though it says FAILED. I am yet to find out if it does so automatically or I can change the NFW_PSW.TRC and be able to code it with my changes
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #98
4EST
Private
4EST's Avatar
0
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: E90 320d LCI
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brasov, RO

iTrader: (0)

I am attaching 2 files:
- report.htm (rename to htm) with the differences in FSW_PSW of the radio with bluetooth+USB enabled, one with disabled
FSW_PSW.txt - the complete file for the unit with BT+USB enabled

As you can see, there are quite a number of changes, I think a lot of them are because of the different year I had to use to make it enable USB+BT
Attached Files
File Type: txt report2.html.txt (15.6 KB, 423 views)
File Type: txt FSW_PSW.txt (230.2 KB, 919 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #99
woodpecka
Major
woodpecka's Avatar
Canada
19
Rep
1,029
Posts

Drives: E91
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EST
more info: I tried Steuergeraete_reset from tools32 and lost both BT and USB. I could not bring them back with SG_RESET

Then I started messing with ncsexpert and I found out something interesting, I think:
Codierindex_lessen reades and generates the NFW_PSW.TRC file
I added 6NN and #0311 to my VO, then did SG_CODIEREN. It failed, of course, but after SG_RESET, both options were back. I tried without #0311, only USB comes back

So I think somehow the radio does get coded even though it says FAILED. I am yet to find out if it does so automatically or I can change the NFW_PSW.TRC and be able to code it with my changes
I confirm the same thing. If I keep my old build date I will loose everyghing. If I add #0911 ( for 09/2011) I will get the USB but not the BT.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #100
yucki68
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: BMW E90 325d
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FRANCE

iTrader: (0)

Hi,

Is it one issue for the lound gong and reading the ECU with NCS without IFH error ?

I've try with v47.1 daten, but same problems.

Will the HU_verbaut in KOMBI disabled the loud gong ?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #101
4EST
Private
4EST's Avatar
0
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: E90 320d LCI
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brasov, RO

iTrader: (0)

yes, changing HU_verbaut to radio2 disabled the loud gong, but you get the ugly sound from the kombi speaker (not too loud though)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #102
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Jose_JN's Avatar
Spain
26
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: e93 330d
Join Date: May 2011
Location: http://www.youtube.com/josejjn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yucki68 View Post
Hi,

Is it one issue for the lound gong and reading the ECU with NCS without IFH error ?

I've try with v47.1 daten, but same problems.

Will the HU_verbaut in KOMBI disabled the loud gong ?
If you have a very loud gong is because your unit is not coded for HIFI audio system (which is fitted from factory by default on US cars, here at UE it is an extra) So check if you have $676 at your VO and check if you have reseted the ECU with expert profile.

Of course, check if you have soften them with the musical note menu...

Regards
__________________
Why don't do it by your self?
Retrofitting is always possible!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #103
yucki68
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: BMW E90 325d
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FRANCE

iTrader: (0)

OK. Then, need i code the HU_VERBAUT or the $676 ?

THX.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #104
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Jose_JN's Avatar
Spain
26
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: e93 330d
Join Date: May 2011
Location: http://www.youtube.com/josejjn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yucki68 View Post
OK. Then, need i code the HU_VERBAUT or the $676 ?

THX.
Both!

KOMBI:
HU_VERBAUT -> radiostuffe_3_4

2RAD -> SG_Codieren with the appropriate VO (#0311 + $663 + $6FL + $6NN + $676)

Regards
__________________
Why don't do it by your self?
Retrofitting is always possible!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #105
yucki68
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: BMW E90 325d
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FRANCE

iTrader: (0)

OK i'll test it tonight.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #106
yucki68
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: BMW E90 325d
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FRANCE

iTrader: (0)

But the sg_codieren give error.

I'll do sg_codieren with error and after need i to reset the radio ?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #107
4EST
Private
4EST's Avatar
0
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: E90 320d LCI
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brasov, RO

iTrader: (0)

yes, sg_reset after
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #108
yucki68
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: BMW E90 325d
Join Date: May 2011
Location: FRANCE

iTrader: (0)

I'll reset with TOOL32.

Gong are a little bit slower but it's not very good ...

663, 676, 6FL, 6NN et all was write to FA/VO.

HU_VERBAUT -> radiostuffe_3_4 was OK before coding
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #109
plotino
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: e91 2011
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Italy

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EST View Post
I installed the microphone today. I used the included microphone (vw part). It works fine, but I had to use heated silicone glue to stick it into it's place, because it's smaller than the BMW part. otherwise it works the same.

I tried first to route the mic cable on the passenger side. If you are considering this, DON'T try it. The wire was about 20cm too short, and I realized this just when I got to the headliner part.
So I had to remove it and re-route it on the driver side. The wire was more than enough on this side because:
1) HU connector is on the left
2) I installed the microphone on the left side of the dome light switch
3) on the passenger side you have to go around the glove storage

Works fine now. I have to read to see what the voice commands do

The only problem I still have is the gong volume waaay to loud. I've coded kombi HU_VERBAU to radiostufe_2 for now, hopefully this will use older gong speaker (haven't tested yet) untill I figure out how to lower volume
Thanks a lot for reporting your experience in installing the microphone in the headlight unit. As far as I understand, you haven't got a car pre-wired for the microphone, so you routed the wire by yourself. Have you had to dismantle the A pillar airbag to do so? Which way have you followed to route the wire: from the radio to the headlight, or viceversa?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #110
4EST
Private
4EST's Avatar
0
Rep
84
Posts

Drives: E90 320d LCI
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brasov, RO

iTrader: (0)

I routed the wire from the radio to the roof light. I removed the rubber from the door frame, and this gave me access to the A pillar (there is about 6-7mm of open space covered by the rubber door seal). Take care with the airbag, the wire must not block airbag deployment. I removed the sun visor and roof handle and I could lower the roof a bit and push the wire all the way to the center front dome light
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST