E90Post
 


The Tire Rack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Retrofitting a Professional HU with USB and Bluetooth



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #243
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Jose_JN's Avatar
Spain
26
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: e93 330d
Join Date: May 2011
Location: http://www.youtube.com/josejjn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaboable View Post
Thanks Jose. Then it's weird. The guy, who sold me the HU said, it came out from a 2008 e92. Maybe the HU is older. I have to check the label on the HU.

Btw. Thanks for your awsome retrofit DIYs.
You can check the production date of the head unit looking it at the hidden menu.

Put the ignition on and the hold the 'm' key at the HU within the first 10 seconds after having turned on the iginition.
After holding 10 seconds the M key, the menu will be shown. There is a section for the production date.

Regards
__________________
Why don't do it by your self?
Retrofitting is always possible!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #244
schattenjaeger
Registered
Sweden
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: e91 320xd 2009
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: jämtland

iTrader: (0)

Hi everybody.
I installed a newer HU (from a 2012 e91) in my 2009 e91 today, and everything works just beautiful from the first start. bluetooth, usb and with a bit of luck the right eq as well.
I´m happy.

Thanks for the awesome DIY
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #245
woodpecka
Major
woodpecka's Avatar
Canada
19
Rep
1,029
Posts

Drives: E91
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (2)

I did this retrofit and everything was working well. Since a week, a got an intermittent problem. When the car is warm, I'm loosing the microphone on voice command and bluetooth.

I will verify the connection as I suspect a loose weld and the temperature could explain why I'm getting issue. I'm living in Montreal and we had -25 'C here last week.

Note: If I wait for a night, microphone come back for ~20 min.

Anybody got the same problem here?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 03:31 AM   #246
veekz
n00b
0
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
I did this retrofit and everything was working well. Since a week, a got an intermittent problem. When the car is warm, I'm loosing the microphone on voice command and bluetooth.

I will verify the connection as I suspect a loose weld and the temperature could explain why I'm getting issue. I'm living in Montreal and we had -25 'C here last week.

Note: If I wait for a night, microphone come back for ~20 min.

Anybody got the same problem here?
I noticed if I turn on the car, drive somewhere, turn off the car, then get back in in under 5 minutes, I loose BT and USB functions on my HU until I let the car sit for atleast half an hour. No idea why, happens rarely. Might be something with how I coded it?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #247
LEXiFiED
New Member
1
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 08 BMW 323i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Winnipeg

iTrader: (0)

2008 E90 323i

I have an e90 08 pre-lci.

i don't have bluetooth or usb in my car. I check underneath the carpet in the boot of my car and found a bunch of cables. no mulf unit or ulf unit. what do I need to get it working? i also don't have the usb port in the arm rest in my car i would probably need that for sure.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #248
woodpecka
Major
woodpecka's Avatar
Canada
19
Rep
1,029
Posts

Drives: E91
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veekz View Post
I noticed if I turn on the car, drive somewhere, turn off the car, then get back in in under 5 minutes, I loose BT and USB functions on my HU until I let the car sit for atleast half an hour. No idea why, happens rarely. Might be something with how I coded it?
I saw other guys having the same issue than you before.

My problem is different. Bluetooth and USB still work but no Microphone for Voice Commands or Calls.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #249
veekz
n00b
0
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
I saw other guys having the same issue than you before.

My problem is different. Bluetooth and USB still work but no Microphone for Voice Commands or Calls.

Does sound like a loose connection. how did you run your mic? I had phone prep on mine, so I tapped into the connectors in the passenger side and used the OEM cable run for the mic.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #250
veekz
n00b
0
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXiFiED View Post
I have an e90 08 pre-lci.

i don't have bluetooth or usb in my car. I check underneath the carpet in the boot of my car and found a bunch of cables. no mulf unit or ulf unit. what do I need to get it working? i also don't have the usb port in the arm rest in my car i would probably need that for sure.

See post #1 and #6 of this thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #251
woodpecka
Major
woodpecka's Avatar
Canada
19
Rep
1,029
Posts

Drives: E91
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veekz View Post
Does sound like a loose connection. how did you run your mic? I had phone prep on mine, so I tapped into the connectors in the passenger side and used the OEM cable run for the mic.
Yeah I think it's a connection problem. I re-checked the wires and I loose the signal on the back microphone wire.

I did the same than you. I used the OEM wires in the junction box and wired it to the radio. I will have to verify the soldering there.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #252
woodpecka
Major
woodpecka's Avatar
Canada
19
Rep
1,029
Posts

Drives: E91
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
Yeah I think it's a connection problem. I re-checked the wires and I loose the signal on the back microphone wire.

I did the same than you. I used the OEM wires in the junction box and wired it to the radio. I will have to verify the soldering there.
It was a connection problem. Problem solved!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #253
schattenjaeger
Registered
Sweden
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: e91 320xd 2009
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: jämtland

iTrader: (0)

does anyone know where i can download a user manual for the bluetooth phone?

i got it working, but i'd like to know the features as well
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #254
Per Hansson
Private
Sweden
9
Rep
75
Posts

Drives: BMW 325 E90 '06
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Adding on to schattenjaege's question does anyone know if it's possible to stream audio over Bluetooth from a phone to the stereo?

I have swapped my original Professional stereo for one with Bluetooth & USB following this excellent how-to & it's working great. (Thanks Jose!)
Have not wired in the mic fully yet though, anyone got a picture of how to route it through the A-pillar? (Mainly concerned about the airbag...)

I also have the Alpine retrofit (car had base audio system) and have coded it for "HiFi"
Really made a nice difference, only problem with that is all outputs are switched to low level.
But the Alpine retrofit only drives the front & underseat subs.
The rear speakers are still driven by the stereo so my PDC sounds are really low now.
Anyone know of a fix for that besides getting another small amplifier for the rear aswell?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #255
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
SSW's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
762
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by veekz View Post
I noticed if I turn on the car, drive somewhere, turn off the car, then get back in in under 5 minutes, I loose BT and USB functions on my HU until I let the car sit for atleast half an hour. No idea why, happens rarely. Might be something with how I coded it?
The same thing happens to the 2008 335i that I just bought.

At first, I kept clearing the phone and re-installing it but stopped doing that after I realized that the car would "find" the phone again later -- most often overnight. Don't use my phone that much to begin with but it's really annoying to have bluetooth access to the phone when I need it.

Don't think there's any particular "fix" for this problem either, BUT if anyone knows of one, please tell me (the the others how have this problem) about it, so that I can get it done!!!!!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #256
RoamPT
First Lieutenant
Canada
17
Rep
333
Posts

Drives: 2015 Dodge Charger R/T Pack
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [4.50]
Hey so my radio production date is: 2009/02/18 and it's a professional radio, do you think it has that usb port? Btw where can i get those plastic tools to remove the trims and such?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #257
dprs
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 318d e91 2008
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Thank's!

Hi!

Thank you for this brilliant writeup!

Just finished my installation and everything went perfect, didn't even had to code anything, it worked right away.

My car is a 10/10 build and the HU is 09/10.

Thank you!

Kind regards
Daniel - SWEDEN.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 12:24 PM   #258
jammy78
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
50
Rep
1,969
Posts

Drives: R
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NA

iTrader: (21)

Hi,

Does anyone have the steps on how to recode these HU to HiFi - is it even possible using NCS Expert?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #259
woodpecka
Major
woodpecka's Avatar
Canada
19
Rep
1,029
Posts

Drives: E91
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamPT View Post
Hey so my radio production date is: 2009/02/18 and it's a professional radio, do you think it has that usb port? Btw where can i get those plastic tools to remove the trims and such?
ebay
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 10:19 PM   #260
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
47
Rep
1,849
Posts

Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpecka View Post
ebay
Or your wallet. I use a bent grocery store card.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #261
lukasbmw
Beach Bum
United_States
43
Rep
171
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: La Jolla CA

iTrader: (1)

6 FL must mean 6x-Fucked-Luck because I looked under my TCU and NOTHING!

Guess my Aux input with cord and handheld mp3 player is gonna have to do.
__________________
LukasBMW
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 12:35 AM   #262
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
47
Rep
1,849
Posts

Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasbmw View Post
6 FL must mean 6x-Fucked-Luck because I looked under my TCU and NOTHING!

Guess my Aux input with cord and handheld mp3 player is gonna have to do.
I assume you don't have a USB plug in the armrest?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 12:47 AM   #263
lukasbmw
Beach Bum
United_States
43
Rep
171
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: La Jolla CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
I assume you don't have a USB plug in the armrest?
No

Just the AUX and cig lighter.
__________________
LukasBMW
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #264
Ripley
multipass!
Ripley's Avatar
Italy
4
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Italy

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EST View Post
your HU probably came from a car with hifi, and I guess you don't have that option. That's why the volume is low

You can code the new HU without hifi and this will bring up the volume (maybe too much)
if your VO is italian, then resetting the HU should change the language.

If you read the topic, I posted a lot of info about this
I have the same problem.

I coded $663 VO in CAS and NFRM but volume is still low.

My new Professional HU cames from a 2012 Z4 E89 with Logic 7, USB, etc.

My car is a 2008 335i E92, built with Business HU and standard speakers set.

After the code I eliminated the "click click" coming from optical output, but volume is still very low.

Anyone knows which parameter I have to change with NCSexpert to get the right volume level?

Thanks
__________________
E92 335i AT - Cobb Stage 2+ - VRSF 3'' Dps - VRSF 7'' FMIC - AFE Pro Dry-S CAI - 200 cells cats - Alpina B3 flash - M3 cluster - BMS Sport oil cooler valve - KW Variante 3 - Dinan CP - Quaife LSD - M3 E93 rear anti-roll bar
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:10 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST