E90Post
 


E92 Lighting
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Retrofitting a Professional HU with USB and Bluetooth



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-14-2014, 02:25 AM   #287
AndreyT
Major
AndreyT's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,037
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (0)

I'm trying to do this retrofit. I'm using the cable from One-Stop-Electronics. NCS Expert version is 4.0.1. Daten files version is 2.51.2. Everything is installed under Windows XP Pro 32.

The new BMW Professional radio arrived with USB and BT enabled. The internal menu reports manufacturing date of 01/2014. When I connected it to the car, both USB and BT worked right away, but the gong was overly loud (due to the radio being set up for "stereo" sound system) and the voice command language was German. I.e. a typical situation with many posters here.

Doing SG_RESET on the radio made both USB and BT to disappear (again, expected behavior). However the gong was still loud, meaning that the radio refused to switch to HiFi mode. Adding any codes to VO and doing SG_CODIEREN or SG_RESET on anything did not bring neither USB not BT back. The gong was still loud.

Changing the production date from #0910 to #0311 and SG_RESET on the 2URAD did bring USB back. So, now I have working USB, but the music doesn't sound right since apparently the equalizer is still set up for "stereo". And the gong is still loud. And there's no BT or Voice Command functionality. I did everything I could find in the forums, but I can't seem to progress any further.

This is my current VO

Code:
E90_#0311&LCSW%0A76$1CA$249$255$2S2$2VB$403$459$465$481$497$4AB$4NE$520$521
$522$524$534$544$563$570$5DS$645$663$676$693$697$6FL$6NN$704$760$823$840$845
$850$853$876$8S4$8TL$8TN$925$992*PM53-B080-EMOA-OSPS
As you can see, it has $6FL, $6NN and $663. I wonder if these's some simple mistake in my VO set.

I can successfully read the 'FSW_PSW.TRC' from 2URAD. It shows a lot of entries with 'hifi' in them like

Code:
...
AUDIOSYSTEM
	hifi
AUDIO_SYSTEM
	pl2_hifi
AUDIO_SYSTEM_RAD1
	pl2_hifi
AUDIO_SYSTEM_RAD12
	pl2_hifi
AUDIO_SYSTEM_RAD22
	hifi
VOLUME_ADJ_1
	e90_hifi
FILTER_FZG_BLOCK_1
	e90_hifi
OUTPUT_GAIN_SYSTEM
	e90_hifi
SOUNDAUSSTATTUNG
	hifi
DEF_GONG_VOLUME
	e90_hifi
OUTPUT_GAIN_FRONTLEFT
	e87_hifi
OUTPUT_GAIN_FRONTRIGHT
	e87_hifi
OUTPUT_GAIN_REARLEFT
	e87_hifi
OUTPUT_GAIN_REARRIGHT
	e87_hifi
VOLUME_TABLE
	e90_hifi
...
and so on. These are just some examples, originally scattered across the file. There is a huge number of entries with 'hifi', so I won't post them all here.

However, a search for 'stereo' produces a small number of results, all of which are here

Code:
OUTPUT_GAIN_SUBWOOFERL
	e87_stereo
OUTPUT_GAIN_SUBWOOFERR
	e87_stereo
VOL_TEL_MAX
	stereo_mulf_e87
AUDIO-STANDARD
	stereo
There's also a number of "suspicious" entries like the following

Code:
AUDIO_SYSTEM_TOPAMP
	not_active
TOP_HIFI
	nicht_aktiv
EQUALIZER
	nicht_aktiv
(On the second thought, there's nothing suspicious about them: my system is not "top hifi".)

The internal menu in the radio still reports "Sound system: stereo" in the "Audio" sub-section.

Trying to do SG_CODIEREN on the 2URAD results in an error (same error many posters here already reported, see the attached picture). I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to try next.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by AndreyT; 05-14-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #288
srk1407
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 120i
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rayleigh Essex

iTrader: (0)

Hi.

Im a newbie here and have just bought a BMW 120i (2012) and have a few questions that maybe someone can advise on. I have been through a few of the posts on this and other forums and i am a little confused.

I have bought, but yet to pick up and E82. When i viewed it, it turned out there was no bluetooth phone and also there was only an aux jack socket behind the hand brake and this meant i could not plug in my ipod and control from the radio. But after reading I am thinking i can change the radio from a business to a professional radio/cd.

So my questions are :

Exactly what model number do i need that had all of the above?
What is the model number of the microphone that i need, which i think would be located in the steering wheel?
Would the USB for the ipod be located next to the jack point with another facia or in the glove compartment? Can I have model numbers for each?
If I decided to add a separate DAB module at a later date, are there enough inputs?
I keep reading about having to 're-code' it. Would i have to? Can I do it myself, or where do i take it?
Is there anything else i would need to purchase?


I basically want to be able to answer the phone and use the phone book using the current steering wheel controls and also be able to select different playlists etc, without sticking on other switches to the dashboard etc. I am looking on ebay and there are different models etc and i am simply trying to quote and see what i need to spend. Maybe i could sell my old radio on ebay to get some of my money back!

So many questions i know, but i thought i would write this, as this is more specific to my model and have also been racking my brain!!

thanks so much in advance for everyones else.
Please be gentle with me!


Last edited by srk1407; 05-23-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 04:54 AM   #289
387ena
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: E90
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BiH

iTrader: (0)

Hello,
I bought HU & USB socket.
I have a problem, I can connect with both sides have a "female" socket.
USB


HU


Which cable need for this connect?

61 11 9 129 360 USB Extension Cable?
THX
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #290
johny
Second Lieutenant
Canada
4
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal,canada

iTrader: (0)

hey guys i have a proffesional HU but i only have the AUX plug in because my car is an 07. I want to buy the USB/AUX plug in . what do i have to do next ? and i want to also add bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #291
polaris_tr
Enlisted Member
Turkey
0
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Turkey

iTrader: (0)

Hello guys;

My CAR is 2006 E90 without i-drive.Last week battery empty and lost the AUX from cd player menu.I can't use AUX IN now.How can I active it by the NCS? Please help me....

Thanks....
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 01:48 AM   #292
BATUGULER
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: bmw e87
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: turkey

iTrader: (0)

BMW E87 (Europe) Built-in Bluetooth Professional Radio/CD

Hi Joe, Thank you for your sharing and information. I have the player which is attached. I would like to replace this with my basic bmw business player. As far as I understand the new one which I got has bluetooth. Do you confirm this? Would you please indicate the needed cables and spare parts in order to retrofit?

In addition is there an extra bluetooth anten? I think it is needed. Please advise.

Furthermore I live in Istanbul, Does coding differ from the your format? Could you please advise about coding and if possible its shortcuts?

I am BMW addict
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #293
Deeg
New Member
Deeg's Avatar
0
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: Alpina D3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: aberdeen

iTrader: (0)

Batuguler,

The parts you need depending on your model are here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_JN View Post
They don't come with the mic... You have to buy all the spare pieces.
Keep in mind that if you dont have a e93 or e88 the mic reference is different!
Because convertibles have the mic at the steering wheel column but others have it at the roof lights module!

For e93/e88:
61138377072 x1 -> 3 pins Connector
61130005197 x4 -> Female Pin
61138384550 x1 -> 12 pins Female Connector
61138387206 x1 -> Connector housing
61316950266 x1 -> Steering wheel column cover
84316977740 x1 -> mic
61119129360 x1 -> Coaxial fakra wire for USB
84109237653 x1 -> USB/Aux Socket

Other e9x and e8x:
61138377072 x1 -> 3 pins Connector
61130005197 x4 -> Female Pin
61138384550 x1 -> 12 pins Female Connector
61138387206 x1 -> Connector housing
84316938762 x1 -> mic
84106936148 x1 -> Mic housing
61119129360 x1 -> Coaxial fakra wire for USB
84109237653 x1 -> USB/Aux Socket
I have just recently fitted this from the Basic Business head unit and it's very simple to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #294
BMW..
Captain
40
Rep
803
Posts

Drives: E46 M3 /E90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Boca Raton FL

iTrader: (0)

Can someone please tell me the VO codes needed to do a SG Reset since I cannot connect. From what I have gathered it is 663 6nn and 6fl. Then after reset Bluetooth and usb will appear?
__________________
Mystic Blue E90
Phoenix Yellow E46
South Florida BMW Coding
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 06:51 AM   #295
eezeekial
Private First Class
4
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cajun Country

iTrader: (1)

If I already have a mini stereo aux connection going to my center console but only a TCU, do I still need a MULF or can I just take out the existing stereo jack socket and swap it for a USB socket? My cars build date is 09/06
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 11:16 AM   #296
CertifiedOfficial
Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
490
Posts

Drives: 06 JB 330i Non-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ATLien

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eezeekial View Post
If I already have a mini stereo aux connection going to my center console but only a TCU, do I still need a MULF or can I just take out the existing stereo jack socket and swap it for a USB socket? My cars build date is 09/06
You'll need the MULF and coding, in addition to the socket and cable from the socket to the MULF, if I'm not mistaken.
__________________
09 E60 NB 528i
06 E90 JB 330i - Sold
07 UGM STI LTD
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #297
eezeekial
Private First Class
4
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cajun Country

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertifiedOfficial View Post
You'll need the MULF and coding, in addition to the socket and cable from the socket to the MULF, if I'm not mistaken.
Thanks. If I pick up a MULF off Ebay, is there any other coding that needs to be done besides enabling the USB?

What section and what is the exact coding for USB enable?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 10:06 AM   #298
CertifiedOfficial
Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
490
Posts

Drives: 06 JB 330i Non-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ATLien

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eezeekial View Post
Thanks. If I pick up a MULF off Ebay, is there any other coding that needs to be done besides enabling the USB?

What section and what is the exact coding for USB enable?
That I'm not sure on... I haven't done the retrofit, myself, but I've been reading and planning to do it.

Do you already have TCU w/ Bluetooth, or are you adding the MULF in order to get that, too...? I'd make sure the MULF you buy has the USB connector on it.
__________________
09 E60 NB 528i
06 E90 JB 330i - Sold
07 UGM STI LTD
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 10:18 AM   #299
eezeekial
Private First Class
4
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cajun Country

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertifiedOfficial View Post
That I'm not sure on... I haven't done the retrofit, myself, but I've been reading and planning to do it.

Do you already have TCU w/ Bluetooth, or are you adding the MULF in order to get that, too...? I'd make sure the MULF you buy has the USB connector on it.
I do have a TCU w/BT. Just want to add the MULF for USB stick access. I take it not all MULFs are the same then?

I dont see anywhere in this thread it states what the exact coding is for USB only.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 03:00 PM   #300
CertifiedOfficial
Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
490
Posts

Drives: 06 JB 330i Non-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ATLien

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eezeekial View Post
I do have a TCU w/BT. Just want to add the MULF for USB stick access. I take it not all MULFs are the same then?

I dont see anywhere in this thread it states what the exact coding is for USB only.
Gotcha. You're in the same boat as me, then.

I saw this thread, and specifically this post, which indicates that some MULFs offer USB functionality and some don't. That thread also shows 2 different connectors for the MULFs.

I'm not sure about the coding. I've managed to snag the cable and dl some software, but haven't had the time to try to code my own car.
__________________
09 E60 NB 528i
06 E90 JB 330i - Sold
07 UGM STI LTD
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 05:03 PM   #301
eezeekial
Private First Class
4
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cajun Country

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertifiedOfficial View Post
Gotcha. You're in the same boat as me, then.

I saw this thread, and specifically this post, which indicates that some MULFs offer USB functionality and some don't. That thread also shows 2 different connectors for the MULFs.

I'm not sure about the coding. I've managed to snag the cable and dl some software, but haven't had the time to try to code my own car.
Thanks for that link, I didnt know there was a difference. Would the MULF2 be replacing the TCU?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 05:27 PM   #302
CertifiedOfficial
Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
490
Posts

Drives: 06 JB 330i Non-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ATLien

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eezeekial View Post
Thanks for that link, I didnt know there was a difference. Would the MULF2 be replacing the TCU?
I assume it can, since it can replace the Bluetooth functionality. However, I think you'd loose the BMW Assist if you have it (I do). At least, that's what I was told by someone. I believe it's possible to wire both the TCU and MULF into the MOST loop together, but you have to do some rewiring of the pins into the MULF, IIRC.
__________________
09 E60 NB 528i
06 E90 JB 330i - Sold
07 UGM STI LTD
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #303
eezeekial
Private First Class
4
Rep
117
Posts

Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cajun Country

iTrader: (1)

I do have BMW Assist but dont have any use for it. Im wondering if the TCU would have to be coded out if it gets unplugged or if it will be fine and not send out any errors.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:17 PM   #304
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
47
Rep
1,849
Posts

Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eezeekial View Post
I do have BMW Assist but dont have any use for it. Im wondering if the TCU would have to be coded out if it gets unplugged or if it will be fine and not send out any errors.
If you unplug the TCU totally, I WOULD code out the related options, though I'm not sure whether it's strictly necessary.

That said, it should be completely doable to wire them both in together. You'll have to do the MOST reconfiguration anyway.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #305
prbaxter
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: bmw
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

I have successfully retrofitted a USB socket to my e90 and after changing the VO and then resetting RAD2 numerous times it eventually picked up the usb option in the professional radio.

problem now is that the audio cuts out 20 seconds after starting the car for about 5 seconds and then returns. I've had the radio professional recoded to latest version but it doesn't help. Any ideas anyone? There doesn't appear to be a separate amp in my car.

Please help, its driving me crazy every day.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #306
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
47
Rep
1,849
Posts

Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prbaxter View Post
I have successfully retrofitted a USB socket to my e90 and after changing the VO and then resetting RAD2 numerous times it eventually picked up the usb option in the professional radio.

problem now is that the audio cuts out 20 seconds after starting the car for about 5 seconds and then returns. I've had the radio professional recoded to latest version but it doesn't help. Any ideas anyone? There doesn't appear to be a separate amp in my car.

Please help, its driving me crazy every day.
The problem is that the techniques I'd use to debug that are a bit tricky, but I think I can boil it down to things you can check with only a multimeter.

First, your car definitely has an amp external to the headunit, it's in the trunk on the left side under the little plastic cover. The first thing I'd be suspicious of is whether the amp is turning off or resetting or something. There's a remote wire that goes from the headunit to the amp, telling it to turn on. I'd put a multimeter on that and get a friend to reproduce the problem while you watch the meter in the trunk. If that line goes from 12v (relative to the car chassis) to 0v while the audio cuts out, you know the problem is the headunit turning the amp off for some reason. If that remains live the duration of the cutout, I'd then put a constant sine wave into the system from an iPhone (download a signal generator app). That way you can put the multimeter on the signal lines feeding the amp in the trunk. on AC volts, if those go from something to nothing during the cutout, you know the headunit is cutting signal to the amp. Beyond that, or failing those two things, I'm not sure what I'd do next. I'd start there though.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #307
taibanl
Brigadier General
taibanl's Avatar
133
Rep
4,012
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NA

iTrader: (4)

IMPORTANT- NEW US Part Numbers

If you are looking for this mod, you need:

w/ MOST (Logic 7 / fiber optic bus)
65129350505

w/o MOST
65129350507

These are BRAND NEW part numbers due to audio quality issues with the old parts. (your dealer may not even have it in their system yet - but it can be ordered from BMW, ask them to add it).
__________________
WTB - Used - 1x Blizzak LM-60 225/45/17

Last edited by taibanl; 08-14-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #308
taibanl
Brigadier General
taibanl's Avatar
133
Rep
4,012
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
I'm trying to do this retrofit. I'm using the cable from One-Stop-Electronics. NCS Expert version is 4.0.1. Daten files version is 2.51.2. Everything is installed under Windows XP Pro 32.

The new BMW Professional radio arrived with USB and BT enabled. The internal menu reports manufacturing date of 01/2014. When I connected it to the car, both USB and BT worked right away, but the gong was overly loud (due to the radio being set up for "stereo" sound system) and the voice command language was German. I.e. a typical situation with many posters here.

Doing SG_RESET on the radio made both USB and BT to disappear (again, expected behavior). However the gong was still loud, meaning that the radio refused to switch to HiFi mode. Adding any codes to VO and doing SG_CODIEREN or SG_RESET on anything did not bring neither USB not BT back. The gong was still loud.

Changing the production date from #0910 to #0311 and SG_RESET on the 2URAD did bring USB back. So, now I have working USB, but the music doesn't sound right since apparently the equalizer is still set up for "stereo". And the gong is still loud. And there's no BT or Voice Command functionality. I did everything I could find in the forums, but I can't seem to progress any further.

This is my current VO

Code:
E90_#0311&LCSW%0A76$1CA$249$255$2S2$2VB$403$459$465$481$497$4AB$4NE$520$521
$522$524$534$544$563$570$5DS$645$663$676$693$697$6FL$6NN$704$760$823$840$845
$850$853$876$8S4$8TL$8TN$925$992*PM53-B080-EMOA-OSPS
As you can see, it has $6FL, $6NN and $663. I wonder if these's some simple mistake in my VO set.

I can successfully read the 'FSW_PSW.TRC' from 2URAD. It shows a lot of entries with 'hifi' in them like

Code:
...
AUDIOSYSTEM
	hifi
AUDIO_SYSTEM
	pl2_hifi
AUDIO_SYSTEM_RAD1
	pl2_hifi
AUDIO_SYSTEM_RAD12
	pl2_hifi
AUDIO_SYSTEM_RAD22
	hifi
VOLUME_ADJ_1
	e90_hifi
FILTER_FZG_BLOCK_1
	e90_hifi
OUTPUT_GAIN_SYSTEM
	e90_hifi
SOUNDAUSSTATTUNG
	hifi
DEF_GONG_VOLUME
	e90_hifi
OUTPUT_GAIN_FRONTLEFT
	e87_hifi
OUTPUT_GAIN_FRONTRIGHT
	e87_hifi
OUTPUT_GAIN_REARLEFT
	e87_hifi
OUTPUT_GAIN_REARRIGHT
	e87_hifi
VOLUME_TABLE
	e90_hifi
...
and so on. These are just some examples, originally scattered across the file. There is a huge number of entries with 'hifi', so I won't post them all here.

However, a search for 'stereo' produces a small number of results, all of which are here

Code:
OUTPUT_GAIN_SUBWOOFERL
	e87_stereo
OUTPUT_GAIN_SUBWOOFERR
	e87_stereo
VOL_TEL_MAX
	stereo_mulf_e87
AUDIO-STANDARD
	stereo
There's also a number of "suspicious" entries like the following

Code:
AUDIO_SYSTEM_TOPAMP
	not_active
TOP_HIFI
	nicht_aktiv
EQUALIZER
	nicht_aktiv
(On the second thought, there's nothing suspicious about them: my system is not "top hifi".)

The internal menu in the radio still reports "Sound system: stereo" in the "Audio" sub-section.

Trying to do SG_CODIEREN on the 2URAD results in an error (same error many posters here already reported, see the attached picture). I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to try next.
ever have luck???
__________________
WTB - Used - 1x Blizzak LM-60 225/45/17
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST