E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My 335i - 4th week at the dealer

05-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
BDO
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2009 M3

My 335i - 4th week at the dealer

About 5 weeks ago, I noticed that the 335i (2007, about 45k miles) is idling very rough in the mornings when cold, and feels like it's missing when throttle is applied. This would rectify itself when the car has warmed up, but even warm it still felt down on power.

Took it to BMW, at first they "reset the computer" (LOL) and tried to convince me that everything is fine. I then insisted that I leave the car overnight, then test it with them in the morning. Sure enough, misfiring and idling like a tractor.

Then the saga started. First, they changed one injector. Then, one (or more, not sure yet), coil(s). Then, both turbos. The car still wasn't working properly. They then wanted to change the HPFP, but BMW rejected the claim since it has been changed about a year ago, so they diagnosed carbon buildup on the intake valves, took off the head and sent it to an engineering shop to clean up. At the moment, they are waiting for the head to return, install it and hope that this cures the problem.

I feel like they are doing this by trial and error. Surely, for an engine which is on the market for 6+ years now, the troubleshooting process should not be this random and take this long.

If the car is still not working properly once this last attempt is done, what should be my next step?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
oshusttoley
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDO View Post
About 5 weeks ago, I noticed that the 335i (2007, about 45k miles) is idling very rough in the mornings when cold, and feels like it's missing when throttle is applied. This would rectify itself when the car has warmed up, but even warm it still felt down on power.

Took it to BMW, at first they "reset the computer" (LOL) and tried to convince me that everything is fine. I then insisted that I leave the car overnight, then test it with them in the morning. Sure enough, misfiring and idling like a tractor.

Then the saga started. First, they changed one injector. Then, one (or more, not sure yet), coil(s). Then, both turbos. The car still wasn't working properly. They then wanted to change the HPFP, but BMW rejected the claim since it has been changed about a year ago, so they diagnosed carbon buildup on the intake valves, took off the head and sent it to an engineering shop to clean up. At the moment, they are waiting for the head to return, install it and hope that this cures the problem.

I feel like they are doing this by trial and error. Surely, for an engine which is on the market for 6+ years now, the troubleshooting process should not be this random and take this long.

If the car is still not working properly once this last attempt is done, what should be my next step?

is this all on warranty? if so, then just keep nagging the stealership and have them fix it properly. i think in the intake valve clean in should do it. iv seen a lot of people post here that rough idle was due to gunked up intake valves, and after wallnut shelling them, it ran perfect
      05-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
BDO
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshusttoley View Post
is this all on warranty? if so, then just keep nagging the stealership and have them fix it properly. i think in the intake valve clean in should do it. iv seen a lot of people post here that rough idle was due to gunked up intake valves, and after wallnut shelling them, it ran perfect
Yes, on maintenance plan, sure I will keep going back until it is fixed properly but I have been driving a crappy 320i for the past 4 weeks and I've had enough of it.

Can't believe that a manufacturer seems so clueless about fixing their own product.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
RnmEvo9
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i

Yeah they pretty much take forever in trying to diagnose something that doesn't throw a code.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
krazyking
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '08 E92 BMW 335Xi

Well... on the bright side you're getting all those parts in your car replaced with new ones for FREE haha. But ya, I feel you. I've been through the pain of having to leave my baby at the dealership for days..
      05-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
335iaz
Cause their greeaaaaat!!!!
United_States
Rep

Drives: SBM E90 335i

Send a message via AIM to 335iaz
Hey just enjoy the fact that you have had to put miles on your car
      05-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Verbatim
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
they're building you a new car....
new turbos? NICE

2008 BMW 335i Sedan | Sparkling Graphite | Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access | Logic7
Golf Tee | M3 Spoiler | LED Angel Eyes | 5000k Fogs | Resonator Delete | Black Kidney Grills | Black Finisher Rods | 35%/18% Tint |12mm/20mm (F/R) Spacers | Black Lines

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
Sara504
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 335is

Quote:

My car took two months to diagnose. I feel your pain. They had to fly out an engineer and it still took another 8 days to find a solution.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
Blubaron79
Colonel
Rep

Drives: '14 435 XDrive

Quote:

It is carbon build up. I had the same problem. At least you got new engine parts out of it. Your car will run so much smoother now. Make sure you use top tier gasoline to help delay carbon build up.

335 xDrive on order. (needed a 4 door for work..)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
rdeterman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i Coupe 6mt

your getting thousands of dollars in free parts... they gave you a loaner to drive.. i think your doing very well considering your car is 5yrs old.. let them keep throwing parts at it your warranty will only last so long might as well have as many new parts as possible on BMW's dime
      05-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 E93 335i

we don't have mechanics working on our cars anymore...we have parts changers who are useless without their computers. If the car doesn't know what's wrong with itself, then the technician has no idea what to do.

what grade fuel do you use?
jay@navtv.com
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
Bamaben
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

OP, I also have an 07 335i and have experienced exact same problems as you. here is my take. Originally the sputtering when first driving off until warm was sort of fixed with a new low pressure fuel pump sensor . this was at about 30k miles.
after a while and closer to the 50k mark on several occasions upon start up the idle was very rough and when I tried to drive it the car ran like it wa only running on 4 cylinders..It was horrible. Dealer said the code said it was something stating don't start car with low gas level..I believe this was a little bogus as it wasn't that low on gas.
forward to my valve cleaning (which you can see pics of bamaben and you'll see the thread). Right before I had this done the car started bogging down and running rough at red lights and other times like 6th gear on interstate. after cleaning i've not experience this rough idle at red lights or at start up. I will say that my car still has to warm up before the car runs very smoothly. it doesn't run rough per say, but best described as just a little skiddish. If I had to spend my own money to fix this sympton after having the sensor and valves cleaned I would start with the low pressure fuel pump. SO, if valve cleaning doesn't fix your problem I'd look into the lpfp sensor or pump itself.

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
CyberNate
Rep

Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Wow, I'm having the exact same experience. My 2009 335i has been at the dealer nearly 4 weeks. They have replaced fuel pressure sensor, Hpfp, pulled valve cover to inspect, cleaned carbon off intake valves, replaced lifters, and now I believe they will do the injectors. My issue was seemingly minor with rough idle in the morning for like 15 seconds. Some days worse than others. The rough idle I only brought up because I brought the car in for door seal replacement and figured I'd have it checked out. Worst troubleshooting I've ever seen.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep

Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjay View Post
we don't have mechanics working on our cars anymore...we have parts changers who are useless without their computers. If the car doesn't know what's wrong with itself, then the technician has no idea what to do.

Truth.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
P4335i
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2010 Msport 335i

Same problem here. My car started doing the same thing at 22,XXX miles. Tractor like idle when cold then SES light. Dealer replaced a fuel injector (SES was stating cylinder misfire) and said I was good to go. I decided to pick it up the next morning (to make sure it was started cold when I picked it up) and before I could drive out of the service dept...SES light. They replaced more injectors and said I had excessive carbon buildup.

After the cleaning it runs fine now.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #16
BDO
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for all the replies. It's quite encouraging to hear that the head job () should sort it out, but will make sure that I pick up the car when cold in any case.

For the record, I use the highest octane fuel available here (95RON) - which is low, but I'm at quite an high altitude (5500ft above sea level), which should compensate for this.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 01:53 AM   #17
mthomas
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2006 330xi

Carbon buildup is an issue in all di engines. It is irrelevant what kind of fuel you use because the fuel never goes over the intake valves, the engine is direct injection. Some tuners add an extra injector into the intake system so that fuel is mixed with the air and flows across the intake valves. Supposedly meth systems also alleviate this problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 03:23 AM   #18
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

I dont know the setup in engine bay of 335i but if you can try to mark the turbos with a paint pen next time your there, Im curious if they are giving you new turbos free or bolting on old ones when they notice it doesnt fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #19
BDO
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shata View Post
I dont know the setup in engine bay of 335i but if you can try to mark the turbos with a paint pen next time your there, Im curious if they are giving you new turbos free or bolting on old ones when they notice it doesnt fix the problem.
Don't think that they would put the old ones back, purely for the reason that BMW has already approved the replacement (parts/labour) for the new ones. Having them remove the old ones would leave the stealership with labour which they would not be able to claim from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #20
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Quote:

+1

syncro is bad from 1-2 in my car, shop says nothing is wrong because it doesnt throw a code. And we pay service $100 hr to change parts ?

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #21
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep

Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Quote:

Some cannot even do that. My car was delivered with 3 out of the 4 tires incorrectly sized; this is an issue of matching 2" letters on tires to a wheel diagram inside the door jamb...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #22
EuroE92
Second Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Drives: 09 335xi Coupe

it does suck but the way I see it the more they replace for you now the less maintaince you have to worry about later cause everything was cleaned/changed already for you lol