E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My 335i - 4th week at the dealer



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #23
BDO
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Citizen of the World

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroE92 View Post
it does suck but the way I see it the more they replace for you now the less maintaince you have to worry about later cause everything was cleaned/changed already for you lol

True. However the maintenance plan runs out at 60k miles, and I am very reluctant to keep the car with this kind of reliability record. So it may just be the next owner who is scoring now.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #24
CyberNate
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDO View Post
True. However the maintenance plan runs out at 60k miles, and I am very reluctant to keep the car with this kind of reliability record. So it may just be the next owner who is scoring now.
This a warranty claim, not maintenance. Just get the extended warranty. I bought a bumper to bumper extended warranty from Acura rather than BMW. My car is still under BMW factory warranty, but it's about to expire at 50K mile mark and then my extended will kick in.

Yes, I'm also concerned about the long term repairs. I wouldn't own this car without the warranty. Gee, I hope they replace my turbos like they've done for you. Maybe I'll urge them to do that next time my SA calls ;-).
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #25
BDO
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Citizen of the World

iTrader: (0)

Still don't have my car. They are "hoping" it will be ready on Monday.

Ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #26
BDO
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Citizen of the World

iTrader: (0)

So, the cleaning of the head did not help - apparently the car is still idling erratically and "high" (whatever that means - I have asked for someone more technical to call me, since the SA chick is beyond clueless).

They are now waiting for BMW Germany to suggest a course of action.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #27
John 070
Lieutenant General
157
Rep
11,517
Posts

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

I think mine was a the dealership for 8 business days which is almost like 2 weeks. They told me that "your car takes special oil, it takes longer for the oil change on a 335i." I found that weird. Also that there were almost 300 miles more on the car when I got it back. BMW service cannot be rushed, it's like fine wine!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
pbr
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
36
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335 i sedan, MT, Msport,
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bradenton Fl.

iTrader: (0)

Marvel mystery oil in the gas
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #29
wobbles1
Second Lieutenant
wobbles1's Avatar
3
Rep
249
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 AW 1M #541
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjay View Post
we don't have mechanics working on our cars anymore...we have parts changers who are useless without their computers. If the car doesn't know what's wrong with itself, then the technician has no idea what to do.

what grade fuel do you use?
Phuck off you try to do what we do. are hands are tied to what we can do to fix these cars. The only part we can put in is the one the computer tells us to, or the tse gives approval for. Its people like you that i hate. If you think it is so easy try it yourself. I have been working on these cars for over 15 years. I try to do the best job possible. Why dont you tell me what you do for a living so i can tell you how stupid you are.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #30
BDO
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Citizen of the World

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbles1 View Post
Phuck off you try to do what we do. are hands are tied to what we can do to fix these cars. The only part we can put in is the one the computer tells us to, or the tse gives approval for. Its people like you that i hate. If you think it is so easy try it yourself. I have been working on these cars for over 15 years. I try to do the best job possible. Why dont you tell me what you do for a living so i can tell you how stupid you are.
Calm down dude, no one insinuated that it is the mechanics' fault, but the system is definitely flawed. Anyway, let's assume that my car is not under warranty or maintenance plan, what would have happened then? Would my car have been troubleshooted correctly and fixed within a week? Or would I then have to carry the cost of a 5 week trial and error process?

Instead of getting angry, give us an idea of how processes and procedures work, and if/how the differ between cars under warranty or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #31
wobbles1
Second Lieutenant
wobbles1's Avatar
3
Rep
249
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 AW 1M #541
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (2)

Originally Posted by superjay
we don't have mechanics working on our cars anymore...we have parts changers who are useless without their computers. If the car doesn't know what's wrong with itself, then the technician has no idea what to do.


How is that not an insult to mechanics.?That is exactly what it is.
I cant sit here and type out that process to fix every car. Every car is unique and poses it's own set of problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #32
Wild Squid
Banned
12
Rep
628
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe Msport AW
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Nor Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
My car took two months to diagnose. I feel your pain. They had to fly out an engineer and it still took another 8 days to find a solution.
What happened with your car?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #33
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
superjay's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
597
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E93 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Coral Springs, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbles1 View Post
Originally Posted by superjay
we don't have mechanics working on our cars anymore...we have parts changers who are useless without their computers. If the car doesn't know what's wrong with itself, then the technician has no idea what to do.


How is that not an insult to mechanics.?That is exactly what it is.
I cant sit here and type out that process to fix every car. Every car is unique and poses it's own set of problems.
it's not an insult to mechanics...it's an insult to parts changers who call themselves mechanics. I have a LOT of respect for a real mechanic. Glorified parts changers who have no idea how to truly diagnose an issue without the computer piss me off. These are the guys who get a car in their bay and blame an aftermarket part without even trying to find the real issue, or can't find the real issue because a code doesn't show.
__________________
Jay Kent
Sales and Tech at Nav-TV
954-323-1010x103
jay@navtv.com
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #34
wobbles1
Second Lieutenant
wobbles1's Avatar
3
Rep
249
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 AW 1M #541
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjay View Post
it's not an insult to mechanics...it's an insult to parts changers who call themselves mechanics. I have a LOT of respect for a real mechanic. Glorified parts changers who have no idea how to truly diagnose an issue without the computer piss me off. These are the guys who get a car in their bay and blame an aftermarket part without even trying to find the real issue, or can't find the real issue because a code doesn't show.
There is no such thing as a parts changer. you cannot throw a part at something without a test plan telling you that part needs to be replaced.
Alot of us are crippled by this system. Even if i know whats wrong with the car, I cannot change that part unless the isid or foreman tell me too.You think BMW would pay me to throw a part on a car as a hunch? It does not work like that period.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #35
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
superjay's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
597
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E93 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Coral Springs, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbles1 View Post
There is no such thing as a parts changer. you cannot throw a part at something without a test plan telling you that part needs to be replaced.
Alot of us are crippled by this system. Even if i know whats wrong with the car, I cannot change that part unless the isid or foreman tell me too.You think BMW would pay me to throw a part on a car as a hunch? It does not work like that period.
So BMW has hobbled you to the point where you are not allowed to diagnose a car, and replace the faulty parts, even if you know what the issue is, without a computer telling you what to do?

If this comes off as me being a dick, excuse me, I'm really trying to find out the process by which you are forced to repair vehicles.
__________________
Jay Kent
Sales and Tech at Nav-TV
954-323-1010x103
jay@navtv.com
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #36
Sara504
Banned
United_States
353
Rep
17,687
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335is
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Squid View Post
What happened with your car?
It would chirp at low speeds. Ended up being a front mail seal defect
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #37
wobbles1
Second Lieutenant
wobbles1's Avatar
3
Rep
249
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 AW 1M #541
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (2)

So BMW has hobbled you to the point where you are not allowed to diagnose a car, and replace the faulty parts, even if you know what the issue is, without a computer telling you what to do?

AFFIRMATIVE.
Only exception is that if you cannot commincate with the car to do test.
Like the cas control module is bad. Even then they will deny the warranty claim unless you prove in your story that you followed all proper procedures to condemn the part. Such as wire tests, power ,ground,integrity,etc etc.
Or if a part is visually broken. cracked, melted, torn etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #38
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
superjay's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
597
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E93 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Coral Springs, FL

iTrader: (0)

so, essentially, they have taken all the real skill out of being a mechanic. Not trying to be offensive, but if you don't have to use real troubleshooting skill (skills I have developed in Car Audio over the past 22 years. I am ASE master certified, and a CET master) how is that different than a parts changer? Plug in the car, car tells you what to change...change it.

If your years of experience tell you that part A is the culprit, and the computer finds no fault, but you know, I mean you KNOW, part A is the issue, you can't do a damned thing about it? Is there some protocol to get around this?
__________________
Jay Kent
Sales and Tech at Nav-TV
954-323-1010x103
jay@navtv.com
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #39
r3dbimmer89
The Coolest
r3dbimmer89's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
832
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Does anyone know if this is covered under the CPO warranty? My car is doing the same exact thing and they may give me some bull about carbon build-up being a maintenance issue or something like that. So I don't want to waste my time at the stealership.
__________________
Past:12 E92 335i/ 08 E90 335i/02 E46 325i
Present:15 F80 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #40
dominick
Private First Class
1
Rep
116
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: S. Florida

iTrader: (2)

You should give bmw corp a call and open a puma case. My car was doing same shit and the stealership had my car for 6 weeks!! Called bmw and the next day the stealership some how put the shop forman on my case and he solved the problem in a matter of hours. btw they changed the computer, checked vacum lines, injectors, coils, carbon issue. But problem was the tech they had working on my car was an idiot!!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #41
wobbles1
Second Lieutenant
wobbles1's Avatar
3
Rep
249
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 AW 1M #541
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjay View Post
so, essentially, they have taken all the real skill out of being a mechanic. Not trying to be offensive, but if you don't have to use real troubleshooting skill (skills I have developed in Car Audio over the past 22 years. I am ASE master certified, and a CET master) how is that different than a parts changer? Plug in the car, car tells you what to change...change it
If your years of experience tell you that part A is the culprit, and the computer finds no fault, but you know, I mean you KNOW, part A is the issue, you can't do a damned thing about it? Is there some protocol to get around this?..
A Car Audio Tech is a far cry from a real tech.. In fact i find it laughable you can even put yourself in the same category. I too have been a ASE master tech for over 20 years. I also studied electrical engineering at ASU for 3 years. So your technically trained to work on 1 small part of a system of a car? BTW no offensive to you but i have fixed tons of Phuckups from so called audio proffesionals who have no effing clue what there doing. And that was using my common sense. Not a computer. Done.
LETS LEAVE IT AT THERE ARE PEOPLE IN BOTH of our FIELDS THAT DONT KNOW WHAT THERE DOING.
Buy unlike you I don't group the whole lot together and call them idiots.

Last edited by wobbles1; 05-16-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #42
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
superjay's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
597
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 E93 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Coral Springs, FL

iTrader: (0)

I'm in a different world than most car audio techs.

Although, I challenge you to take the MECP Advanced test. You'll see what we deal with on a daily basis. The ASE tests were a cakewalk compared to MECP. So, as an ASE master, I only know one small part of what you deal with? I, too, studied electrical engineering, only at UofA. I would venture to guess we are equally educated...except for the troubleshooting part.

I, also, never called your class idiots. To be clear, I called them parts changers. There are exceptions to every rule, but, for the most part, dealer techs are no longer mechanics. I train dealers monthly in how to deal with aftermarket parts. I'm not just some installer, I'm the guy who goes to dealerships, and trains them to work around all the aftermarket stuff, diagnose around it, repair around it, etc. I have 10 dealers who pay me damned good money to come twice a year for 3-day trainings. So when I say I'm not just some installer, I'm really not just some installer.

As a matter of fact, I'd be happy to discuss exactly what I do privately with you so you have a better understanding of, both, what I do, how I do it, and how I've formed my opinions of modern dealer techs.

I'm serious about you taking the MECP advanced test. Compared the the MECP test the A6 is intro to basic math.
__________________
Jay Kent
Sales and Tech at Nav-TV
954-323-1010x103
jay@navtv.com
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 10:08 PM   #43
wobbles1
Second Lieutenant
wobbles1's Avatar
3
Rep
249
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 AW 1M #541
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjay View Post
I'm in a different world than most car audio techs.

Although, I challenge you to take the MECP Advanced test. You'll see what we deal with on a daily basis. The ASE tests were a cakewalk compared to MECP. So, as an ASE master, I only know one small part of what you deal with? I, too, studied electrical engineering, only at UofA. I would venture to guess we are equally educated...except for the troubleshooting part.

I, also, never called your class idiots. To be clear, I called them parts changers. There are exceptions to every rule, but, for the most part, dealer techs are no longer mechanics. I train dealers monthly in how to deal with aftermarket parts. I'm not just some installer, I'm the guy who goes to dealerships, and trains them to work around all the aftermarket stuff, diagnose around it, repair around it, etc. I have 10 dealers who pay me damned good money to come twice a year for 3-day trainings. So when I say I'm not just some installer, I'm really not just some installer.

As a matter of fact, I'd be happy to discuss exactly what I do privately with you so you have a better understanding of, both, what I do, how I do it, and how I've formed my opinions of modern dealer techs.

I'm serious about you taking the MECP advanced test. Compared the the MECP test the A6 is intro to basic math.
You dont train BMW dealers. Why in the hell would anybody need training to work around aftermarket parts. The only BMW approved Way, is put it back to original state and diagnose.
Also I too wish you could spend 3 days taking st921 advanced level diagnostics at the dealer training facility to see how well you think you know cars. I would love to watch as you diagnose intermittent can-bus failures in a system with 11 control modules on it.
You make it sound like the computer just spits an answer out. You do actually perform test plans, Hook up breakout boxes, check wires, voltage drops, perform multiple readings in different states,etc etc. The computer only goes by the answers you give it to come up with a recommendation. If i tell it nothing. I get nothing. This is the way of all cars now. Not Only BMW. Hell even fridges are like this now.

Last edited by wobbles1; 05-16-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #44
Kernel Kurtz
Lieutenant
4
Rep
419
Posts

 
Drives: '11 e90 335xi SE 6mt
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST