E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2010 e91 rear wiper problem

01-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #1
nwiggers
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi Wagon

2010 e91 rear wiper problem

Car: 2010 328xi Sports Wagon

One day I went to use my rear windshield wiper and it did not move. When I took it to the dealer I had them check it and they said I needed a new rear wiper motor. I order it and I installed it myself. The wiper still does not work.

I checked all of the fuses per the fuse sheet on the back of the glove box (Fuses 1, 50 & 79) and all appear to be intact. I checked the rear relay and it is working properly too. I can hear the relay "click" on and off when I turn the wiper switch on and off. Additionally, I switched the front wiper relay with the rear wiper relay and the fronts are still the only wipers that work. So I presume the relay itself is fine. Additionally, power is being supplied to the relay since it can "click" on and off.

So I assume the problem is in the wiring from the junction box back to the wiper motor? What is the best way to figure out where the problem is from here?

I am a newbie at this so any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:39 PM   #2
slupie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328iT, Montego Blau

Do you have power at the rear wiper motor connector? Could be broken wires in the rubber grommets going from the body to the lid. Different problem but it was caused by broken wires in one of the grommets. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928522
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
jsunma
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT

This may sound silly, but have you verified that the wiper arm can actually move and that the shaft on which it pivots is not frozen? I don't actually mean "frozen" as in iced, but rather that the rear wiper shaft on our cars is quite prone to getting gunk in its housing and binds up to the point where it will no longer allow the wiper arm to pivot.

I've had this happen twice on my car. What happens is that over time sand, salt, etc. works its way into the housing in which the shaft pivots and the whole thing corrodes into an immobile mess. Fortunately, it's possible to disassemble the pivot mechanism (see Real OEM for a parts diagram), clean it out, lubricate it, and it will function again. Here's a link from another forum where the procedure is detailed:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...er-fix!http://

(if that link doesn't work, just google "bmw e91 rear wiper spindle")

Alternatively, you can replace the whole pivot part. The BMW part number is 61627209167 It costs about $90. I have taken apart and cleaned mine twice and just assume that this is something that I'll need to do periodically. A new part would likely just get gunked up in time anyway. The problem is that it's just not sealed particularly well against the elements and all of the mess that winds up on our rear hatches/windows binds the mechanism up in short order. Particularly on cars that live in areas where there's annual application of sand and salt on the roads.

When testing this, you will need to make sure that the motor itself is actually working. You can do this by looking for voltage at the connector. You can also trick the motor into running while the rear glass is open by having a buddy stick his/her finger in the glass latch mechanism (to simulate closed glass) while you activate the wiper from the driver's seat. Just watch to see if the part of the motor that drives the shaft is rotating. If it is, your problem is not the motor, but the pivot mechanism. But since you say that you have had the motor replaced, I'm guessing that the motor is actually ok.

I should note that if your shaft is frozen (hummmmmmm) and you've tried to activate the motor too many times, the car will throw a code and deactivate the motor. I suppose that this is a preventative measure to keep you from blowing out the motor (which costs about 3 times what the pivot mechanism costs). I found this on my car, but after freeing the pivot and clearing the code, I was able to reactivate the motor. You can use a code reader (Carly for BMW's free iOS reader will at least show you the code, although you'll have to buy the full app to clear it) to check for that.

Good luck!

Last edited by jsunma; 01-28-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Appreciate 0