E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Better bluetooth microphone?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
Murf
Private First Class
2
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Better bluetooth microphone?

My bluetooth microphone has always sucked, callers always complain about noise and difficulty understanding me. In the past I didn't really care but now I am commuting both ways 1hr + and it's become an issue. Is there a way to upgrade this microphone to something with better noise cancelling? I have the factory installed system...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #2
BOTUS
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: E90 335d
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
My bluetooth microphone has always sucked, callers always complain about noise and difficulty understanding me. In the past I didn't really care but now I am commuting both ways 1hr + and it's become an issue. Is there a way to upgrade this microphone to something with better noise cancelling? I have the factory installed system...
how old's the car,

early ones didn't connect the shield wire at the mic end and later mic's were better quality... But I' can't tell you when this happened.

I can say I have the later mic and the shield connected and callers say if I get excitable and speak in a way I describe as mildly loud, they get distortion.

Again at high speed if I talk "clearly" to get above the road / engine / wind noise they say its harder for them to hear (due to distortion), when I start to think I'm talking too quietly they are ok with it (but I feel odd)... so it seems the gain is wound up too much on the way BM do it
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
rowingone
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
205
Posts

Drives: 2006 330 xi
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: colorado

iTrader: (0)

If you upgrade the mic . . you would just have to make sure its the same impedance. If you have idrive . .can you try changing the mic settings?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
Murf
Private First Class
2
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

It'a a 2008. The mic's (as a replacement part) are $60 bucks or so and seem to have the same part number for the entire model run. Not sure replacing it with another stock part would help but maybe worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post
how old's the car,

early ones didn't connect the shield wire at the mic end and later mic's were better quality... But I' can't tell you when this happened.

I can say I have the later mic and the shield connected and callers say if I get excitable and speak in a way I describe as mildly loud, they get distortion.

Again at high speed if I talk "clearly" to get above the road / engine / wind noise they say its harder for them to hear (due to distortion), when I start to think I'm talking too quietly they are ok with it (but I feel odd)... so it seems the gain is wound up too much on the way BM do it
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #5
Murf
Private First Class
2
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowingone View Post
If you upgrade the mic . . you would just have to make sure its the same impedance. If you have idrive . .can you try changing the mic settings?
Car is a 2008, no ability to change settings unless it's something I could try to code...

Not sure where to even get an upgraded mic, that's why I posted!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
BOTUS
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: E90 335d
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Car is a 2008, no ability to change settings unless it's something I could try to code...

Not sure where to even get an upgraded mic, that's why I posted!


I think that age u'll have the "old" mic..


found this but I think its back to front

(1) Green - Updated microphone
(1) Black - Original microphone
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2014, 10:31 PM   #7
jwong77
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
296
Posts

Drives: W211 MB E350 & E92 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Santa Clara

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
I did a retrofit of my bluetooth a couple of years ago (2011), which probably means I bought the updated mic. The quality sucks, every conversation over bluetooth results in the other person saying "What? huh?". I am very interested in connecting this shield wire. Can anybody provide any details on it?
__________________
2007 BMW 328i Coupe
Space Grey | Black Interior/Aluminum Trim | BMW Performance Springs | Koni FSD Struts | M3 e36 / e84 bumpstops | lux H8 Angel Eyes | LCI Tail Lights | OEM 6FL USB/iPod Retrofit | OEM Bluetooth Retrofit | MULF2 | M-Tech Steering Wheel | LCI Paddle Shifters
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
jpope42
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2010 e90, xdrive, space gray
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 528i  [0.00]
2010 328ix  [0.00]
I retrofitted mine last year, got the mic from Tischler's (OEM). If I remember correctly all you do is solder the ground to the cable shielding, but then some days my memory's like Swiss cheese! Anyway, you should be able to search for the answer.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
BOTUS
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: E90 335d
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

in this pic 2 wires connected... but mic has three pins... as I had to add the wire myself and used proper quality mic wire not the garbage BM did, I'm not sure if there's any termination on the stock loom (I thought I remember a pic where it showed it taped back) but I guess if not the shield is under outer sleeve and you could connect it using 61 13 0 006 663 or I think lighter gauge wire 61 13 0 005 197 about 1 dollar from stealership




black
yellow
clear = shield

on the mic front one face is coloured rest of moulding black plastic, is it
black = old
green = old
grey = current? p/n 84.31.6.938.762 (quote from BMW expert "These are also a good plug and play upgrade for older model cars like E39 and E46. Improves sound quality on the other end a lot")

Last edited by BOTUS; 04-25-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
jwong77
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
296
Posts

Drives: W211 MB E350 & E92 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Santa Clara

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Thank you Botus jpope42. Too bad I'm away from home, I can't wait to look into this. It really pissed me off after all of the work I did to retrofit the OEM bluetooth that it worked so poorly. Hopefully, this is all I have to do to get it to work better.
__________________
2007 BMW 328i Coupe
Space Grey | Black Interior/Aluminum Trim | BMW Performance Springs | Koni FSD Struts | M3 e36 / e84 bumpstops | lux H8 Angel Eyes | LCI Tail Lights | OEM 6FL USB/iPod Retrofit | OEM Bluetooth Retrofit | MULF2 | M-Tech Steering Wheel | LCI Paddle Shifters
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #11
Murf
Private First Class
2
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

I have the .762 mic. According to realoem.com thats the microphone for all N54 & N55 builds.
I'm confused as to exactly what you are saying here. That there is a better mic than this or that adding a wire to the current mic will somehow improve it. Where would this wire terminate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post
in this pic 2 wires connected... but mic has three pins... as I had to add the wire myself and used proper quality mic wire not the garbage BM did, I'm not sure if there's any termination on the stock loom (I thought I remember a pic where it showed it taped back) but I guess if not the shield is under outer sleeve and you could connect it using 61 13 0 006 663 or I think lighter gauge wire 61 13 0 005 197 about 1 dollar from stealership




black
yellow
clear = shield

on the mic front one face is coloured rest of moulding black plastic, is it
black = old
green = old
grey = current? p/n 84.31.6.938.762 (quote from BMW expert "These are also a good plug and play upgrade for older model cars like E39 and E46. Improves sound quality on the other end a lot")
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
BOTUS
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: E90 335d
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I have the .762 mic. According to realoem.com thats the microphone for all N54 & N55 builds.
I'm confused as to exactly what you are saying here. That there is a better mic than this or that adding a wire to the current mic will somehow improve it. Where would this wire terminate?

as far as I know p/n 84.31.6.938.762 is the last available / latest mic. I have no idea if the shield wire helps all I know is early cars didn't have it connected at the mic end... it is on the other end in the boot using pin 19 on a MULF setup

my setup is perfect for me in the car as long as good quiet road and under 60 mph... after that it gets a little noisier but still perfectly easy to have a call at 90mph. Just occasionally I get told off for making it distort on the other end when I get excitable. No impact for me in the BM
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:51 AM   #13
jwong77
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
296
Posts

Drives: W211 MB E350 & E92 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Santa Clara

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Figured out why nobody can hear me

I looked at my microphone today and I figured out why my bluetooth quality sucked. During my retrofit, I had forgotten to remove a plastic piece inside the overhead console where the microphone sits. This piece had completely blocked off the microphone from the cabin. I removed it and now it's working really well! My people can hear me!

Some pics:
Pic #1 Is the Mic the part number I have is 84.31.6.938.762
Pic #2 Is Piece inside the overhead console still installed
Pic #3 Is the Mic wiring loom, I had the black and yellow wires in my loom attached to the microphone, I believe my car came prewired for bluetooth
Pic #4 Is the overhead console after I removed the piece that was blocking the microphone, you can see that its now exposed to the interior of the cabin
Pic #5 Is the plastic peice that I had removed
Attached Images
     
__________________
2007 BMW 328i Coupe
Space Grey | Black Interior/Aluminum Trim | BMW Performance Springs | Koni FSD Struts | M3 e36 / e84 bumpstops | lux H8 Angel Eyes | LCI Tail Lights | OEM 6FL USB/iPod Retrofit | OEM Bluetooth Retrofit | MULF2 | M-Tech Steering Wheel | LCI Paddle Shifters

Last edited by jwong77; 04-28-2014 at 02:00 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:58 AM   #14
jwong77
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
296
Posts

Drives: W211 MB E350 & E92 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Santa Clara

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
I guess the point of my post is that if your bluetooth quality sucks, go check to see if that plastic piece is sitting there, blocking the microphone. Remove it.
__________________
2007 BMW 328i Coupe
Space Grey | Black Interior/Aluminum Trim | BMW Performance Springs | Koni FSD Struts | M3 e36 / e84 bumpstops | lux H8 Angel Eyes | LCI Tail Lights | OEM 6FL USB/iPod Retrofit | OEM Bluetooth Retrofit | MULF2 | M-Tech Steering Wheel | LCI Paddle Shifters
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #15
BOTUS
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
255
Posts

Drives: E90 335d
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong77 View Post
I looked at my microphone today and I figured out why my bluetooth quality sucked. During my retrofit, I had forgotten to remove a plastic piece inside the overhead console where the microphone sits.
I don't think that should be possible....

the foam pad over mic aperture sits directly in contact with the cuts outs shown in this pic




surely if you did indeed leave the bit blocking the holes you never clipped the mic in place correctly first time?

and after checking you still didn't connect up the shield wire which that later mic was designed to have connected
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 11:07 PM   #16
jwong77
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
296
Posts

Drives: W211 MB E350 & E92 328i Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Santa Clara

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
I forgot to remove that piece when I did my retrofit. I also realized I had the microphone upside down, which made it worse. I didn't connect the shield wire, but the audio quality seems fine now, so I don't find a need to do it.
__________________
2007 BMW 328i Coupe
Space Grey | Black Interior/Aluminum Trim | BMW Performance Springs | Koni FSD Struts | M3 e36 / e84 bumpstops | lux H8 Angel Eyes | LCI Tail Lights | OEM 6FL USB/iPod Retrofit | OEM Bluetooth Retrofit | MULF2 | M-Tech Steering Wheel | LCI Paddle Shifters
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #17
RMC
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Austin TX

iTrader: (0)

I'm having trouble with my mic too - is there z DYI on how to remove the console so you can get to the mic?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:16 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST