E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Another BLuetooth, Phone craddle, USB install

08-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #111
alexwhittemore
Major

Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
It adds the telephone preparation and bluetooth, then you just need the bt aerial and mic afaik!
Best I can tell, that harness is ONLY for USB, part of which includes supporting the MULF, which overlaps with phone prep but is not phone prep in and of itself.

I only looked quickly, but the harness in the kit does not include the cable running to the Mic nor antenna, and thus is not phone prep.
      08-29-2013, 03:29 AM   #112
teaston
Brigadier General

Drives: F30 330d M Sport Plus

I see your point, sorry my car has factory bluetooth so i wasn't thinking of these problems!

May be you just need 2 & 3 here as well: http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E9..._free_kit_uni/
teaston is online now   United Kingdom
      08-29-2013, 03:38 AM   #113
teaston
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I see your point, sorry my car has factory bluetooth so i wasn't thinking of these problems!

May be you just need 2 & 3 here as well: http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E9..._free_kit_uni/
Actually ignore this it seams to be a universal kit.

This looks like what you need though, second kit ending 247, says for cars without telephone prep! http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E9...cil_bluetooth/
      08-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #114
alexwhittemore
Major

Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Looks like maybe, but without any detail there's nothing on that harness that looks like the mic connector. I honestly don't know.

It only cost me $20ish for cable and pins, the $60 mic, and a bunch of time to install.
      09-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #115
PichaDis11
Captain

Drives: 08 328i

FYI

For anyone attempting this retrofit for Bluetooth with the MULF2 High module. Meaning your car came with just S640A option. 2 things to note.
  1. The mulf2 high module is used for USB as well; therefore when it comes to coding, add both S644 and $6fl to VO. Even if you do not need USB (Yet). The 6fl option tells NCS Expert that you have mulf2 high module and will call up the appropriate files to perform a reset for the mulf2 unit. i.e no errors.
  2. Your S640A (Phone prep) means the car is prewired for a TCU not the MULF2 unit. Rewiring is needed in the fuse box area for the microphone to work.

This worked in the blink of an eye for me. Radio is 2URAD as well.

Thanks to everyone who helped on this retrofit. alexwhittemore Thank you sir!
PichaDis11 is offline   United_States
      09-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #116
teaston
Brigadier General

I decided against this route and instead I am fitting the newer professional HU with usb and bt built in, as explained in this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687463

It is much easier, quicker, better and cheaper than adding the mulf2 and retrofit kit, especially as you can sell the old HU! and mulf if you had one!
      09-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #117
PichaDis11
Captain

Drives: 08 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston
I decided against this route and instead I am fitting the newer professional HU with usb and bt built in, as explained in this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687463

It is much easier, quicker, better and cheaper than adding the mulf2 and retrofit kit, especially as you can sell the old HU! and mulf if you had one!
To be honest it is easier for an install but this HU you speak of is much harder to find and is more expensive than a MULF2 retrofit. Head unit costs ~$500 MULF can be had for $200, with other bits put it at around 350 total. Then there is no garantee that you could sell an old HU either as that demand is not here..
      12-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #118
gazosnic
Lieutenant

Drives: bmw m3

For the guys who did this retrofit from the phone prep wires, can you please explain which wires need to be repinned from the white connector to the blue? I would GREATLY appreciate it if someone can please list this. Cant find a clear answer on this anywhere.
      12-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #119
bender rodriguez
Major

Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Looks like maybe, but without any detail there's nothing on that harness that looks like the mic connector. I honestly don't know.

It only cost me $20ish for cable and pins, the $60 mic, and a bunch of time to install.

Mic Wire from Guitar center for the win. My junk yard pull with the upgraded SOS button was only 43 dollars + mic. BMW Junk yard parts are cheap cheap cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E90-Dome...925297&vxp=mtr