E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Single turbo

05-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
VelvetElf
Private

Drives: 2009 335xi

Single turbo

Can someone explain briefly difference between twin and single turbo and why 1 (single) is better
Than 2(twin)?

Is single a dual stage turbo?

What existing mods will the addition of a single affect? Will
People be pawning their existing dps etc when shiv unleashes single?

Also why doesn't borla exhaust ever get mentioned on here?
      05-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
themyst
Major General

Drives: E90 335i LCI

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElf View Post
Can someone explain briefly difference between twin and single turbo and why 1 (single) is better
Than 2(twin)?

Is single a dual stage turbo?

What existing mods will the addition of a single affect? Will
People be pawning their existing dps etc when shiv unleashes single?

Also why doesn't borla exhaust ever get mentioned on here?
twins are limited by the stock housing. They can machine the compressor inlet to fit a bigger wheel, bore out the exhaust side for a larger turbine, but in the end, they are restricted by the stock turbo housing. They also maintain all of the characteristics of a stock turbo car, both good and bad (e.g. wastegate rattle possible over time). Max power potential in the 520 whp range.

A single turbo will flow tremendously over upgraded twins at the expense of low end torque/power. If you're looking for maximum power, this is the only way to go. You will need a new downpipe, your intake can go out the window, but from what I understand, the intercooler can be kept. Max power potential only limited by fueling and the block holding together.

I had a Borla exhaust on my 350Z and absolutely hated it. Unrelated, but figured I'd throw my two cents in.
      05-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
335iJWC
~~~

Drives: JB 335i-M3

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
twins are limited by the stock housing. They can machine the compressor inlet to fit a bigger wheel, bore out the exhaust side for a larger turbine, but in the end, they are restricted by the stock turbo housing. They also maintain all of the characteristics of a stock turbo car, both good and bad (e.g. wastegate rattle possible over time). Max power potential in the 520 whp range.

A single turbo will flow tremendously over upgraded twins at the expense of low end torque/power. If you're looking for maximum power, this is the only way to go. You will need a new downpipe, your intake can go out the window, but from what I understand, the intercooler can be kept. Max power potential only limited by fueling and the block holding together.

I had a Borla exhaust on my 350Z and absolutely hated it. Unrelated, but figured I'd throw my two cents in.
+1 could not have said it better though intercooler piping does need to change