E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Race Technology

03-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #1
justpete
Enlisted Member

Drives: 328i

Question Race Technology

Anyone using a Race Technology datalogger? Would be interested in hearing about experiences, problems, tricks and tips, etc.

edit

So it's installed and functional, fwiw. Worked out of the box after a bit of setup, no big deal really. Ended up swapping it out for one with the 20Hz GPS and gyro and CAN (15 channel) options. The Panavise window mount is a better choice than any on the RT site and just as low cost.

Easy to mod the DASH3 to display the absolute value of lateral acceleration on a bar graph and the negative of the longitudinal acceleration on another to see only braking force. Adding a graph to display a running indication of attitude velocity is a handy way to get a handle on under/oversteer, approximately anyway. It's just the gyro rate minus 1250 times the lateral acceleration in Gs divided by speed in mph.

Very easy to route the GPS antenna coax through the rear door at an angle, doesn't crush or distort, works fine. A little gaffer's tape on the roof and the cable doesn't damage the paint in the slipstream.

Built a bridge out of 1/4" poplar 2.5" wide and a length of 1.5" square dowel, anchored with Blu-Tack and a spacer block on top that compresses it when the console cover is closed. Wired into a different cigarette lighter adapter since it sits right behind the serial port, also added a jumper over to analog1 to log battery voltage. The serial port has a three-way breakout cable attached which comes with the CAN option so it's easy to access both serial ports and the CAN bus high and low pins on separate connectors. They'll get routed out the back of the console to make it easier to connect everything in the future. The CAN cable will route to the connector under the glovebox where the PT-CAN bus is available to be tapped into.

Logging is simple, the shift lights on the DASH3 are handy and programmable, the analysis software works well and is fairly intuitive even with a point to point run across town instead of a lap on a track. Comprehensive and looks like it'll be helpful on the track.

FWIW. I've no connection with Race Technology whatsoever, just a user and I thought others might be interested in datalogging and analysis.

Name:  IMG-20140410-00431.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  143.3 KB
Name:  IMG-20140410-00432.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  121.1 KB
2011 E90 328i ZSP 6MT DSMB/Chestnut PI+3IM+AA, Supersprint headers+PE, AKG engine mnts, dual disc racing clutch, LWSM flywheel, UUC trans mnts, CAE Ultra Shifter, AKG DSSR, HPA clutch pedal, CDV delete, 3.73 2-way 70% LSD, Delrin diff/RS bushings, HVT 3-way suspension, Group N front ARB/rear link bushings, M3 control arms/rear upper links, Vorshlag CPs, M3 strut brace, UUC lines/RT700, F30 brake shields, RE PRO, 216s/P-Zero RFTs, RT DL1/DASH3

Last edited by justpete; 04-10-2014 at 11:28 PM.
justpete is offline   United_States
      04-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #2
justpete
Enlisted Member

Drives: 328i

updated with edit
2011 E90 328i ZSP 6MT DSMB/Chestnut PI+3IM+AA, Supersprint headers+PE, AKG engine mnts, dual disc racing clutch, LWSM flywheel, UUC trans mnts, CAE Ultra Shifter, AKG DSSR, HPA clutch pedal, CDV delete, 3.73 2-way 70% LSD, Delrin diff/RS bushings, HVT 3-way suspension, Group N front ARB/rear link bushings, M3 control arms/rear upper links, Vorshlag CPs, M3 strut brace, UUC lines/RT700, F30 brake shields, RE PRO, 216s/P-Zero RFTs, RT DL1/DASH3
justpete is offline   United_States