E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Upcoming NorthEast track events



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #265
mid-corner fun
Major
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

Posts: 1,385
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Peter, there is a Del Val CCA @ Pocono, Oct 6-7 (Sat/Sun). I'm signed up.
added. North or full course?

Watch the infield transition now that the banked course has been paved. Last year it was a dip, this year it's a bump. Straights are awesome this year, you should be able to hit the limiter on every straight of the tri-oval.
mid-corner fun is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #266
3002 tii
Major General
 
3002 tii's Avatar
 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ

Posts: 7,968
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
added. North or full course?

Watch the infield transition now that the banked course has been paved. Last year it was a dip, this year it's a bump. Straights are awesome this year, you should be able to hit the limiter on every straight of the tri-oval.
Ugh, not happy about what I'm reading here... I thought pavement job meant smooth everywhere lol. I'll be at North next week... time to dial down the suspension lol
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
3002 tii is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #267
mid-corner fun
Major
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

Posts: 1,385
iTrader: (3)

Say hello to the new infield transition...

look at my head movement at 0:45

Last edited by mid-corner fun; 09-02-2012 at 08:12 AM.
mid-corner fun is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #268
CJ421
Brigadier General
 
CJ421's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 3,253
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
added. North or full course?

Watch the infield transition now that the banked course has been paved. Last year it was a dip, this year it's a bump. Straights are awesome this year, you should be able to hit the limiter on every straight of the tri-oval.
North course.

Looking forward to hitting the limiter. Note to self: find how to remove limiter ...

Edit: Nice video, that was helpful to see!
__________________
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
CJ421 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #269
mid-corner fun
Major
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

Posts: 1,385
iTrader: (3)

our cars hit the limiter too easy, you'll be surprised when it happens because its effortless, you'll be still accelerating at a decent pace.

I think I could easily do another 10mph over on the grid straight and way more on the long straight. Just watch Turn 1, you need to decide what level of risk you're willing to accept coming in at max speed.
mid-corner fun is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2012, 08:32 AM   #270
3002 tii
Major General
 
3002 tii's Avatar
 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ

Posts: 7,968
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
our cars hit the limiter too easy, you'll be surprised when it happens because its effortless, you'll be still accelerating at a decent pace.

I think I could easily do another 10mph over on the grid straight and way more on the long straight. Just watch Turn 1, you need to decide what level of risk you're willing to accept coming in at max speed.
Nice vids Peter. Looking at the course layout, I'm inclined to say even though the North course is shorter, it'd actually be more fun. Then again, I've never driven 2 sides of a Nascar style banked straight and may change my mind afterwards =P
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
3002 tii is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #271
CJ421
Brigadier General
 
CJ421's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 3,253
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
our cars hit the limiter too easy, you'll be surprised when it happens because its effortless, you'll be still accelerating at a decent pace.

I think I could easily do another 10mph over on the grid straight and way more on the long straight. Just watch Turn 1, you need to decide what level of risk you're willing to accept coming in at max speed.
Awesome. I've not been on a track that fast before, that is just crazy. I'm going to take it easy ...
__________________
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
CJ421 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #272
mid-corner fun
Major
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

Posts: 1,385
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Awesome. I've not been on a track that fast before, that is just crazy. I'm going to take it easy ...
haha, somehow I doubt the "taking it easy part", at least after the first few laps. It's very different driving than a normal track course, you learn to use momentum on the banked turns to slingshot past others without turning the wheel (sorry, drafting not allowed) and spend most of the time at 120mph+.

Overtaking can take much longer (10 secs+) than at a typical track and often you can't downshift to pass due to the high rpms. Then you brake hard for a slooooow infield run, rinse and repeat. Some drivers will blow past the infield turn especially on session 1, it's ok, it happens. Better to continue straight than try to fudge a 155mph -> 70mph turn, there's a solid wall on the inside.

My first time at Pocono, it was raining, foggy, and I was running solo. My plan was to follow the cars in front of me for the first few rounds. First thing they did was space us apart due to the fog, plan foiled! I blew past the infield turn and did the whole tri-oval run, merged back into the North course on the far side. They didn't like that


To be honest, the course is a bit boring. It's one of the 3 tracks I make a point of visiting once, and only once, every year:

Pocono - get the max speed thing out of my system
Limerock - airtime!
Glen - Well, it's the Glen!!!

Always exciting to run a new track though, both of you post some pics/vids when you return!
mid-corner fun is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #273
3002 tii
Major General
 
3002 tii's Avatar
 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ

Posts: 7,968
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
To be honest, the course is a bit boring. It's one of the 3 tracks I make a point of visiting once, and only once, every year:

Pocono - get the max speed thing out of my system
Limerock - airtime!
Glen - Well, it's the Glen!!!

Always exciting to run a new track though, both of you post some pics/vids when you return!
I get that sense too... been reviewing a lot of YT vids of the North Course and the layout looks almost too simple/short. A good time seems to be 1:00-1:03 and I see what you're talking about the bump. When you transition to and from the infield, I see cars getting a little hop. The only reason the hop doesn't seem too bad though is because it seems like you're entering a braking zone (as you transition back onto the Nascar bank) so you're not carrying that much speed.

Any tips on reference points once you get on the oval? Hard to imagine "seeing through the turn" when its such a long banked straight... but what should we be aiming for before we get back on the infield?
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
3002 tii is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #274
mid-corner fun
Major
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

Posts: 1,385
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
Any tips on reference points once you get on the oval? Hard to imagine "seeing through the turn" when its such a long banked straight... but what should we be aiming for before we get back on the infield?
sigh...I hate to say this but you don't get to enjoy much of the banked surfaces on the North course. T3's banking is nowhere like T1, it's relatively flat and you can look through it, then off to the short straight. I doubt you can hit the limiter that way. The end of the short straight is marked with braking cones *on* the track surface, please don't take these out

Next time look for a double-straight or double-infield or changing direction event (1st day clockwise, 2nd day counter-clockwise, these always mess me up). PCA also runs full-course on Fridays preceding 3-day events, immediate and advanced only.

On the flipside I've never ran in the dark so looking forward to your feedback!
Good luck!

PS. Also...there's fog in the morning...every morning. It's normal. Rains 50% of the time, that's normal too. Arrive early and find a garage spot, it'll make your day much easier.
mid-corner fun is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #275
Slops
Major General
 
Slops's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxford

Posts: 5,333
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
Say hello to the new infield transition...

look at my head movement at 0:45
Where's the sick Vid Peter, i watched it on my iphone earlier but now its gone... no dice for a second view
Slops is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #276
mid-corner fun
Major
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

Posts: 1,385
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopp View Post
Where's the sick Vid Peter, i watched it on my iphone earlier but now its gone... no dice for a second view
sorry, I realized I have too much crap on vimeo and cleaned up. I'll re-upload stuff over the next couple of days.

NM, it's still there. It's not North course though, it's a double-straight/single-infield setup.

mid-corner fun is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #277
Slops
Major General
 
Slops's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxford

Posts: 5,333
iTrader: (2)

sweeet thanks man, i wanted to see that crazy transition. Looks like you gotta be taking that thing at no more than 65mph if you wanna keep it on the track lol
Slops is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #278
mid-corner fun
Major
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

Posts: 1,385
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopp View Post
sweeet thanks man, i wanted to see that crazy transition. Looks like you gotta be taking that thing at no more than 65mph if you wanna keep it on the track lol
100% correct!

I dug up some North course footage, without further ado here's my fastest lap:

mid-corner fun is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #279
3002 tii
Major General
 
3002 tii's Avatar
 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ

Posts: 7,968
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
100% correct!

I dug up some North course footage, without further ado here's my fastest lap:

What was your time?
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
3002 tii is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #280
mid-corner fun
Major
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

Posts: 1,385
iTrader: (3)

You must have missed the foggy/raining/soaking/under-yellow flag video if you're asking that question :-)
mid-corner fun is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #281
3002 tii
Major General
 
3002 tii's Avatar
 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ

Posts: 7,968
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
You must have missed the foggy/raining/soaking/under-yellow flag video if you're asking that question :-)
LOL I only asked since you specified that clip was your fastest lap :P
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
3002 tii is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #282
will.c
Lieutenant
 
will.c's Avatar
 
Drives: E46M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central Jersey

Posts: 560
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
I dug up some North course footage, without further ado here's my fastest lap:
Peter, what tires did you use here?

Also, please post me up on 10/6-7 PCA Del @ NJMP.
will.c is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #283
mid-corner fun
Major
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

Posts: 1,385
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonho View Post
Peter, what tires did you use here?

Also, please post me up on 10/6-7 PCA Del @ NJMP.
added!

StarSpecs. I wouldn't dare go out in the rain with the NT01s.
mid-corner fun is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #284
3002 tii
Major General
 
3002 tii's Avatar
 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ

Posts: 7,968
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
added!

StarSpecs. I wouldn't dare go out in the rain with the NT01s.
Peter - I think Wonho's name should be with me for 10/6 (PCA) at NJMP

You joining us? =)
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
3002 tii is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #285
mid-corner fun
Major
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE

Posts: 1,385
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
Peter - I think Wonho's name should be with me for 10/6 (PCA) at NJMP

You joining us? =)
Fixed. I'd love to but I can't unfortunately. Took over a bigger role at my workplace and now my weekends are screwed up (and weekdays...and nights...), working on fixing that for next year

I'm definitely doing the 10/26-28 Thunderbolt event with NASA though, nothing else fits in the schedule this year.
mid-corner fun is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #286
3002 tii
Major General
 
3002 tii's Avatar
 
Drives: flat out
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NNJ

Posts: 7,968
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM1 View Post
Fixed. I'd love to but I can't unfortunately. Took over a bigger role at my workplace and now my weekends are screwed up (and weekdays...and nights...), working on fixing that for next year

I'm definitely doing the 10/26-28 Thunderbolt event with NASA though, nothing else fits in the schedule this year.
I hear you man, this thing called LIFE... family, work, general obligations is really distracting me from my commitment to track days lol. I'm sure we'll catch each other at another event.
__________________

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
3002 tii is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST