E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Race Gas



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Sam335ix
Major
Sam335ix's Avatar
22
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 335 ix performance edition
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Redskin Country

iTrader: (0)

Race Gas

I am about to buy about 20 gallons of it and store it which i am sure it will be gone in no time lol (110 octane and they also have 112). Do I need to mix it with regular 93 octane or fill up the whole tank with it?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
PR3CI5N
need4speed
PR3CI5N's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,235
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Coast

iTrader: (15)

Depends on what you're trying to achieve. And what tune you're running. But either way is safe so up to you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam335ix View Post
I am about to buy about 20 gallons of it and store it which i am sure it will be gone in no time lol (110 octane and they also have 112). Do I need to mix it with regular 93 octane or fill up the whole tank with it?
__________________
N54
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Sam335ix
Major
Sam335ix's Avatar
22
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 335 ix performance edition
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Redskin Country

iTrader: (0)

I am runnin jb4 with dp's, I keep hearing that 110 octane is unsafe for the car and it will damage the o2 sensors etc..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
PR3CI5N
need4speed
PR3CI5N's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,235
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Coast

iTrader: (15)

You can't buy 110 unleaded can you? Thought that high if octane only came leaded which yes is very bad for our 335's.
__________________
N54
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Sam335ix
Major
Sam335ix's Avatar
22
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 335 ix performance edition
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Redskin Country

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
You can't buy 110 unleaded can you? Thought that high if octane only came leaded which yes is very bad for our 335's.
Look like I need to find 100/102 octane because anything higher is leaded...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
fasteddie222
Colonel
fasteddie222's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,311
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 e88 135i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Miami/Central Florida

iTrader: (8)

Has anyone tried airplane fuel?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
Sam335ix
Major
Sam335ix's Avatar
22
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 335 ix performance edition
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Redskin Country

iTrader: (0)

I found these guys but I cant get any technical info regarding which unleaded gas I need. Looks like they do have unleaded and they do deliver but no other info..

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Sam335ix
Major
Sam335ix's Avatar
22
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 335 ix performance edition
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Redskin Country

iTrader: (0)

Just ordered VP 100 from their site 15 gallons of it.. I will update this post once I play around with it to see if it really helps.

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/page535437.html
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
TJDiCandido
Outlaw 06
TJDiCandido's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
946
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 / E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CCCP (Connecticut Soviet Socialist Republic)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 M3 Coupe  [4.50]
2007 E90 335i  [4.00]
My thought is that it really isn’t the octane rating that matters in our cars as much as the poor quality, inefficient additives (Ethanol, MTBE, etc.) that all the corrupt politicians have legislated into our fuel. 100% pure gasoline is higher in energy and more efficient than Gasohol (10% Ethanol) and E85 (85% Ethanol), resulting in increased engine power and MPG. Try searching http://pure-gas.org for a gas station that sells Ethanol-free gas near you.
__________________
Current vehicles:
2007 BMW 335i Sedan, 6MT, ZSP
2004 BMW M3 Coupe, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
Sam335ix
Major
Sam335ix's Avatar
22
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 335 ix performance edition
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Redskin Country

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiCandido View Post
My thought is that it really isn’t the octane rating that matters in our cars as much as the poor quality, inefficient additives (Ethanol, MTBE, etc.) that all the corrupt politicians have legislated into our fuel. 100% pure gasoline is higher in energy and more efficient than Gasohol (10% Ethanol) and E85 (85% Ethanol), resulting in increased engine power and MPG. Try searching http://pure-gas.org for a gas station that sells Ethanol-free gas near you.
So pure gas 89 octane is better than mix octane 93? Not a single gas station within 100 miles of my location near DC lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
TJDiCandido
Outlaw 06
TJDiCandido's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
946
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 / E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CCCP (Connecticut Soviet Socialist Republic)

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 M3 Coupe  [4.50]
2007 E90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam335ix View Post
So pure gas 89 octane is better than mix octane 93?
All other things being equal, the energy density of pure gasoline is higher than Gasohol and E85 (used in "flex fuel" vehicles).

To answer your question, you'd need to know the energy densities of both fuels you're comparing.
__________________
Current vehicles:
2007 BMW 335i Sedan, 6MT, ZSP
2004 BMW M3 Coupe, 6MT

Last edited by TJDiCandido; 05-15-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
CPWINCH's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
3,562
Posts

 
Drives: F32 4 Series
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (5)

You can run leaded if you're catless. Just don't do it to often
__________________
Follow my BMW instagram @Bmwmodification Let me know you are from bimmerpost and i'll follow back
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
Sam335ix
Major
Sam335ix's Avatar
22
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 335 ix performance edition
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Redskin Country

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
You can run leaded if you're catless. Just don't do it to often
I am xi, I have removed one cat but I still have the other one
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
CPWINCH's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
3,562
Posts

 
Drives: F32 4 Series
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam335ix View Post
I am xi, I have removed one cat but I still have the other one
replace em with resonators!
__________________
Follow my BMW instagram @Bmwmodification Let me know you are from bimmerpost and i'll follow back
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
mashimarho
BMW Genius
mashimarho's Avatar
United_States
191
Rep
10,522
Posts

 
Drives: e92 LCI 335i xDrive™
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, michigan

iTrader: (36)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
replace em with resonators!
Good idea.
Will it sound any different? If I were to take out the one cat I left left and swap it with a resonator, what will the sound like..?
__________________

My Progress: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770326
Volk///ER///BMS///KW///VRSF///ARKYM///DD///CYBA///STOPTECH///BMW Performance ///
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #16
vwrefugee
Private First Class
4
Rep
126
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
So pure gas 89 octane is better than mix octane 93? Not a single gas station within 100 miles of my location near DC lol.

Our cars need minimum 91 octane to run at full (unmodded) potential. While it is true that fuels that are pure gasoline without ethanol have more energy per unit, you still need the octane rating because this is what prevents detonation and knocking, which in our cars would cause the DME to retard ignition timing and reduce power. So to answer your question, you are better off performance-wise to use a blended 91+ octane than unblended 89. Better yet, find some unblended 91 like Shell V-Power. On my last car I was running 94 octane which was 10% ethanol. The car kept going into limp mode on me because of the crap corn juice (highly modded car). Eventually I switched to 91 Shell V-Power and installed water-meth injection to get the octane up (awesome mod because it's like driving on race fuel all the time).
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #17
FrankiE90
Major General
FrankiE90's Avatar
United_States
266
Rep
8,666
Posts

 
Drives: Krooked Sk8board
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pasadena, Ca

iTrader: (11)

Send a message via Skype™ to FrankiE90
run 110 leaded to much and ur 02 sensor say bye bye.
VP 100 is bueno- straight or mixed.
__________________
FrankiE90 AKA:.[The TANK] *CLICK THE SIG
2011 335 E90 MTECH 6MT • KW V3 • INJEN Intake • Berk 4" DP • Vanguard V2 exhaust • Procede V5 • Stoptech BBK • RPI Scoops • Karbonwerk CSL Trunk • LUX H8 • 19" BBS LM • 18" BBS GT4
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #18
PR3CI5N
need4speed
PR3CI5N's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,235
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Coast

iTrader: (15)

Screw race gas unless you're tracking your car. Just go buy a bottle of NOS octane booster racing formula with mmt. It'll bring your octane up 60 points. So my 91 turns into 97 and trust me it really works. Costs $14 a bottle and u add it to atleast 16 gallons of gas. So pretty much everytime u fill up. My car feels exactly the same to me when I use race gas.
__________________
N54
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #19
Sam335ix
Major
Sam335ix's Avatar
22
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 335 ix performance edition
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Redskin Country

iTrader: (0)

I was looking at octane boosters and keep hearing mix reviews... Also don't they turn the internal parts of your engine orange?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #20
PR3CI5N
need4speed
PR3CI5N's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,235
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E90 M 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: West Coast

iTrader: (15)

I hear mix feelings to but after using it I'm in love. My car is still under warranty so if it turns my spark plugs orange I'll get new ones for free. Terry from BMS using the same octane booster every time he fills up so it must not be that bad. I think there's more pros than cons when using it. Try a bottle and you'll see. One bottle won't hurt anything if you don't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam335ix View Post
I was looking at octane boosters and keep hearing mix reviews... Also don't they turn the internal parts of your engine orange?
__________________
N54
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #21
Sam335ix
Major
Sam335ix's Avatar
22
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 335 ix performance edition
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Redskin Country

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
I hear mix feelings to but after using it I'm in love. My car is still under warranty so if it turns my spark plugs orange I'll get new ones for free. Terry from BMS using the same octane booster every time he fills up so it must not be that bad. I think there's more pros than cons when using it. Try a bottle and you'll see. One bottle won't hurt anything if you don't like it.
Good to know man, what about torco? Have you tried it?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #22
SRT14PimPin07
Captain
SRT14PimPin07's Avatar
Armenia
25
Rep
947
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR3CI5N View Post
Screw race gas unless you're tracking your car. Just go buy a bottle of NOS octane booster racing formula with mmt. It'll bring your octane up 60 points. So my 91 turns into 97 and trust me it really works. Costs $14 a bottle and u add it to atleast 16 gallons of gas. So pretty much everytime u fill up. My car feels exactly the same to me when I use race gas.
If I mix the NOS onctane booster with my 91 gas, can I run map 2 with my stock DP?
__________________
2011 Alpine White E92 335i M-Sport N55 Engine
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST