Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #23
krazyking
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: '08 E92 BMW 335Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
By 'out of round' I mean that there was a high spot in the tire itself. Either that, or some form of non-uniformity in the sidewall and/or footprint in the tire itself was causing it to not roll perfectly round when compressed/loaded under weight. In my experience, if there is more than 0.010" (or about 10 lbs of road force) of loaded runout in the tire, it WILL cause a hop/vibration in the tire itself. It's very similar when it comes to 'warped" brake rotors; if there is a large enough variation of lateral runout on the rotor itself, you'll get pulsing/vibration in the brake pedal. Same applies to tires.

What kind of machine is your shop using to balance the tires? by "too heavy" was your installer referring to a high road force reading? I'd try and find a shop that has a Hunter GSP9700 and ACTUALLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Here's some info on what, more than likely, is causing your vibration:

http://www.gsp9700.com/technical/4202T/5THEO003.htm
http://www.gsp9700.com/technical/4202T/5THEO004.htm
http://www.gsp9700.com/technical/5098t/5098t.htm

Here's a store locator for finding a shop that owns the balancer I suggested:
http://www.gsp9700.com/search/findgsp9700.cfm
Yes, I think he was referring to a high road force reading, as it just wouldn't balance. They use the Hunter Road Force machines, and seem to be quite knowledgeable on what they're doing.

So after taking the tire off and rebalancing it, they showed me that the tire was wobbling all over the place on the machine. At first they made the assumption that it had to be the wheel since it couldn't be two bad tires. I disagreed, so they decided to put a new Kumho tire of the same size and balance it to see if there was any problem on that. Nope, it balanced perfectly fine and ran smooth. The owner of the shop also showed me that the new tire TR had sent me had a screwed up tread and was all over the place.

In the end I just ended up putting the original tire back on and they rebalanced the other front tire just for the sake of it and it seemed like that was off as well. I also asked them to up the pressures to 38PSI. Car seems to drive much better now, however, I am very disappointed with Tireracks Customer Service and Quality Control over their tires. If I am asking for a replacement for a defect, I expect the replacement to not have a defect...
      05-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #24
FCobra94
Major
Rep

Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyking View Post
If I am asking for a replacement for a defect, I expect the replacement to not have a defect...
LOL been there, done that.

With regards to the tire not being able to balance: did they force match the tire and the wheel? That involves the balancer finding the high spot of the wheel and the low spot of the tire (or vise versa) and then the tech has to break the bead, rotate the tire on the wheel so that the marks line up, and then rebalance if the road force numbers are appropriate. Since you didn't mention it (especially if the tire didn't have any chalk marks on the sidewall), I doubt they did that. Force matching will sometimes work to bring an out-of-spec tire back into spec with regards to road force, but you won't know until you try. Either way, in most cases it will ALWAYS make for a better balanced wheel/tire combination so this extra step should be done regardless.

Also, I find it funny that they blamed the wheel at first, where as if they knew how to use the machine properly instead of throwing out a lazy hypothesis the balancer would have told them what the runout of the wheel was and they could have easily ruled the wheel out as a possible issue. It would have been a simple pass/fail at that point.

Either way, I'm glad you got your problem straightened out much faster and with much less effort than I had to go through...at the end of the day though, this story along with mine just reiterates the fact that the quality control at Continental is $h!t and because of that they have lost me as a customer for life.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #25
m@rco
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundle View Post
The Pilot A/S is a great tire. It's been out for a while, so it's a proven product. There are a lot of people who buy these over the PS2 due to the higher wear ratings. If you have time, go to tirerack and look at the customer reviews for these tires--the number of repeat buyers is really impressive.

I would have bought these if they were available in Europe. As all seasons are not really available out here, I ended up with the Michelin Primacy HP (W-rated) which, after 8K miles, I'm pretty happy with:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Primacy+HP
Sorry to open this old thread...

I have a US spec car in Europe as well (2007 E90 comfort+sport package, imported in Europe in 2011). I still have the Michelin Pilot A/S tires that I bought at Discount Tire in Houston on the rear wheels. The previous Bridgestones were bald, I mean seriously bald after 17,000 miles already. Never again.

I'm reasonably happy with the Michelin A/S tire but find that the wear is not equal over the width of the tire (currently at about 30,000 miles). The middle part wears out quicker. Yes, even at the correct tire pressure (or slightly below, to "increase" the wear on the sides), the tire just doesn't wear out equally. Could this have to do with the fact that the tires are actually 245mm wide (in stead of the OEM prescribed 255mm, therefore the rim is slightly too big, and there is "less" force from the rim on the tire wall that deforms the tire "outwards", thus doesn't "flatten" the thread enough...) Note that the Michelin A/S isn't available in 255mm.

Meanwhile, I have replaced the front Bridgestones as well. I have Michelin Premacy HP now. I like them better than the A/S. I will buy a new pair of Premacy HP for the rear once my Pilot A/S are bald.

Last weekend I put the winter tires on. Also Michelins. Great tire, good snow traction and no issues at high autobahn speeds. Much more silent than the Nokian wintertires that I used to have on my 118i... I bought those in Houston right before the move to Switzerland. They had to be shipped from Colorado... I wonder how many people drove around in Houston on winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #26
rattmobbins
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2011 328i Touring

Hmmm, I was considering going with the Pilot A/S on a square 19x8.5 setup on my x-drive E91. But now I'm having doubts. Wonder if the 19's would be a little better than the 18's the OP got since they'd have less sidewall.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #27
FormerRotor
Major
Rep

Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
Hmmm, I was considering going with the Pilot A/S on a square 19x8.5 setup on my x-drive E91. But now I'm having doubts. Wonder if the 19's would be a little better than the 18's the OP got since they'd have less sidewall.
FWIW, I bout the pilot sport as+ once and will never do so again. I was comparing The to them To the BFG KDW2 summer tires and the lack of lateral grip in the former was amazing (wet or dry). Obviously it's not the fairest comparison, but ever since trying that I refuse to run all seasons on my vehicles (dedicated winter, dedicated summer). The key not here is that my primary concern was the performance. If you want a quieter tire that will be acceptable to many year-round then go for it, but it was just too much of a compromise for me. I've heard great things about the Conti's.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #28
m@rco
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattmobbins View Post
Don't get me wrong, the Pilot A/S is a good tire. Better than Pirelli's. Can't comment on other brands regarding summer tires, because I've only had those... I'm not sure about the wear/life for the Continentals. For me, that is important. In the end, these tires are NOT cheap. If the Michelin Premium is not much more expensive than the A/S, I'd go for that. Else, the A/S should be fine (if you have a perfect fit with the rim, and keep the right tire pressure - I guess).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #29
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i E90 AT

I've had Michelin A/S, Pirelli, and now the Conti DWS. Between the all season race, the pirellis were the worst. The Michelins had the best performance but were a bit louder. The DWS had great grip but performance in corners a bit lacking. Overall, DWS were quieter, better traction for straight line performance due to being a tad softer.
Up here in Vancouver, Canada, we get a lot of rain and the temps dip down to 6-7c by September. My Michelin Super Sports were useless with cooler temps so I just ran all seasons. If and when it snows, I'll switch to my Michelin X-Ice snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #30
naterater
BMW & Michelin Brand Ambassador
Rep

Drives: 2002 E46 M3 Coupe

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ looks like it's going to get replaced by the Pilot Sport A/S 3
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777929
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #31
Pittsburger
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2010 328xi, 2006 330xi

I've had 2sets of conti dws tires without any plbs on 330 xi. Maybe I'm not as picky about the smoothness or roundness of the tire because I've not had any plbs with quality.

I'm going to summer tires next since i now have dedicated winter wheels and was thinking about the pilot ss, but the $200 difference in pricing is pushing me to try the conti dw instead.
Appreciate 0