E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Made the mistake of driving a Cadillac CTS-V



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,535
iTrader: (1)

Made the mistake of driving a Cadillac CTS-V

Well, I was preparing to order a 2013 F30 335i (M-Sport Line) after cancelling my order for a 2012 F30 335i (Sport Line).

Cadillac is offering some pretty aggressive incentives on the 2012 CTS-V sedans right now. The dealer is basically offering $12,500+ off MSRP.

I went to my local Cadillac dealership today to test drive the CTS-V and was absolutely blown away by its performance. The car simply reels in the horizon effortlessly. I never really exceeded 80% throttle input because of traffic conditions but that 80% delivered. A quick jab of the throttle will break loose the tires with ease, even while rolling at 80 mph. This definitely brought a wide grin to my face.

I knew the car was going to be fast going into the test drive. However, both the steering and suspension on the car FAR exceeded my expectations. Steering response was very direct/communicative at higher speeds/during aggressive turns and was very pleasant under cruising conditions.

The suspension was not nearly as harsh as the C63 AMG's suspension during normal driving on central Indiana's cracked and pothole-riddled roads. That being said, the suspension still felt extremely composed and solid when plowing through roundabouts carrying some speed. The car simply did not feel like it weighed 4,300+ pounds.

Now I have to decide - is the $80 extra per month + snow tires worth it to park the 556 HP supercharged monster in the garage?

The only other negative besides the payment is that the interior is ghastly.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,535
iTrader: (1)

It hooked me for sure. Got any pics of your rig sir?
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Kayani_1's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E92/E60
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,555
iTrader: (1)

Drove both V-coupe and Sedan on MSR-Race track in Houston. The pics I think are in my profile photos. Just amazing performance machines but the interior built quality and automatic tranny are not on par with rest of the car. Also, thought the car would sound more aggressive like the Vette but seems like for luxury purposes the sound insulation was more of a priority over racy aggressive exhaust note.

Last but not least you did not factor in how much of a gas guzzler 556hp monster is.....the gas bill will make it more then just $80 per month. But then again they say "you gotta pay to play". In all honesty this car is more in M3/M5 league rather then 335i minus the crappy interior and crappy auto. If you will go for it take the 6-speed & you will enjoy it more then the flawed auto and crappy paddle shifters. But a nice set of exhaust and you are ready to run with M cars.






Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Well, I was preparing to order a 2013 F30 335i (M-Sport Line) after cancelling my order for a 2012 F30 335i (Sport Line).

Cadillac is offering some pretty aggressive incentives on the 2012 CTS-V sedans right now. The dealer is basically offering $12,500+ off MSRP.

I went to my local Cadillac dealership today to test drive the CTS-V and was absolutely blown away by its performance. The car simply reels in the horizon effortlessly. I never really exceeded 80% throttle input because of traffic conditions but that 80% delivered. A quick jab of the throttle will break loose the tires with ease, even while rolling at 80 mph. This definitely brought a wide grin to my face.

I knew the car was going to be fast going into the test drive. However, both the steering and suspension on the car FAR exceeded my expectations. Steering response was very direct/communicative at higher speeds/during aggressive turns and was very pleasant under cruising conditions.

The suspension was not nearly as harsh as the C63 AMG's suspension during normal driving on central Indiana's cracked and pothole-riddled roads. That being said, the suspension still felt extremely composed and solid when plowing through roundabouts carrying some speed. The car simply did not feel like it weighed 4,300+ pounds.

Now I have to decide - is the $80 extra per month + snow tires worth it to park the 556 HP supercharged monster in the garage?

The only other negative besides the payment is that the interior is ghastly.
__________________
nick named "BAD 3"
Cobb tune, RennArt catback non resonated exhaust, M-sport steering (racing alcantara & retrofit M3 paddle shifters.), Alpina B3 transmission flash, AFE powered sealed CAI, LED angels, E93 M3 Front Swaybar, 235/35/19x9 front & 275/30/19x9.5 rear. When in doubt...flat out

Last edited by Kayani_1; 05-16-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Kayani_1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,535
iTrader: (1)

Thanks for the thoughts and photos. That looks like it was a great experience.

Performance-wise, I agree that the M3/M5 would be more proper reference points but from the price perspective, I have gotten the CTS-V into fully loaded 335i price range.

Definitely agree regarding the fuel consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
Drove both V-coupe and Sedan on MSR-Race track in Houston. The pics I think are in my profile photos. Just amazing performance machines but the interior built quality and automatic tranny are not on par with rest of the car. Also, thought the car would sound more aggressive like the Vette but seems like for luxury purposes the sound insulation was more of a priority over racy aggressive exhaust note.

Last but not least you did not factor in how much of a gas guzzler 556hp monster is.....the gas bill will make it more then only $80 per month. In all honesty this car is more in M3/M5 league then 335i minus the interior and crappy auto. If you will go for it take the 6-speed you will enjoy it more then the flawed auto and crappy paddle shifters.

__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #5
Inspired
Colonel
 
Inspired's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: California

Posts: 2,253
iTrader: (2)

I would rather wait for the 2013 Shelby to be in mass production with no markup.

660HP/600 torque for 55k..

Inspired is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,535
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
I would rather wait for the 2013 Shelby to be in mass production with no markup.

660HP/600 torque for 55k..

Intriguing at 55k. Will depend on the residual though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSGOD View Post
:
Beautiful. Love that exterior color. Thanks for posting.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 03:32 AM   #7
wisesoul
Savoir Faire
 
wisesoul's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Ca

Posts: 1,637
iTrader: (0)

Get the CTS-V. More for your money. Any reason you are holding back on it?
__________________
Current: Alpine White F10 M5|H&R springs|12mm/10mm spacers|Eisenmann Race
Sold:Imola Yellow RS4-KW V3|MTM 10mm spacers|Hotchkis rear sway bar|APR Stage 1|Milltek Catless|RNS-E|Euro RS4 Flat bottom Steering Wheel
Sold:E46 323i
wisesoul is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
NYC6
Banned
 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

Posts: 2,078
iTrader: (0)

The LS series of power plants are nearly a bullet proof powerplants. They have been around for a long time and Chevrolet has them down to a science. Strapping a S/C on to an LS turns them into a completely different kind of beast. Reliable as the day is long, very fuel efficient for hp produced and a animal when the throttle is squeezed deep.
I know, I have one in my Corvette. Wait till you give that extra 20% throttle. Harkens too Space Balls line, "Ludicrous Speed!".

Last edited by NYC6; 05-17-2012 at 08:41 AM.
NYC6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
Intriguing at 55k. Will depend on the residual though.
Residual will be excellent; I believe the V6, 5.0, and existing Shelby are already segment leaders in that regard (maybe not the V6, I can't remember). It will only get better for the '13 Shelby. It's the LRA swan song.

But if you're looking at the CTS-V and F30, the Shelby would be a completely different beast. Doesn't seem like apples to apples. And regardless of what people say, the Shelby can be found for MSRP (even below). You just have to actively seek out the allotments that aren't being hit with ADM. Some people make it sound like that's impossible (and they said the same thing about the BOSS), but anyone who pays ADM on those cars is someone who is doing so either because they're ignorant of the fact they don't have to, or they just didn't feel like putting in the effort to find a non-gouged allocation.

If you loved the CTS-V, then get it! It's an amazing car in stock form or modded. However, if you plan on modding the motor, read up on it. There have been some issues, I believe with the bottom end. However, in stock form it's very reliable.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
benzy89
Banned
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Go with the V --- You're getting the M5 competition for less than M3 money. IMO, the M5 is King of the super saloons


but after that its the CTS-V, the E ///AMG, the new Audi S6 (shocking how Cadillac dove head first into this segment on a 2nd gen car).

Plus, hennessey already is making packages for the V, starting at 600 HP (intake, pulley & ecu upgrade) so there is A LOT of power left in that car
benzy89 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #11
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,535
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisesoul View Post
Get the CTS-V. More for your money. Any reason you are holding back on it?
Going to order the CTS-V Sedan w/ Black Diamond Tricoat exterior. Going to also order the M-Sport F30 335i w/ Estoril Blue exterior.

The two things holding me back were: 1) Certain aspects of the interior; 2) Winter driving aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
The LS series of power plants are nearly a bullet proof powerplants. They have been around for a long time and Chevrolet has them down to a science. Strapping a S/C on to an LS turns them into a completely different kind of beast. Reliable as the day is long, very fuel efficient for hp produced and a animal when the throttle is squeezed deep.
I know, I have one in my Corvette. Wait till you give that extra 20% throttle. Harkens too Space Balls line, "Ludicrous Speed!".
That's very comforting to know! I absolutely cannot wait to make 100 percent use of the throttle/available power. I was "relatively" judicious on the test drive out of respect for the future owner of the car (only had like 14 miles on it). Key word would be relatively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Residual will be excellent; I believe the V6, 5.0, and existing Shelby are already segment leaders in that regard (maybe not the V6, I can't remember). It will only get better for the '13 Shelby. It's the LRA swan song.

But if you're looking at the CTS-V and F30, the Shelby would be a completely different beast. Doesn't seem like apples to apples. And regardless of what people say, the Shelby can be found for MSRP (even below). You just have to actively seek out the allotments that aren't being hit with ADM. Some people make it sound like that's impossible (and they said the same thing about the BOSS), but anyone who pays ADM on those cars is someone who is doing so either because they're ignorant of the fact they don't have to, or they just didn't feel like putting in the effort to find a non-gouged allocation.

If you loved the CTS-V, then get it! It's an amazing car in stock form or modded. However, if you plan on modding the motor, read up on it. There have been some issues, I believe with the bottom end. However, in stock form it's very reliable.
Thanks for the info on the Shelby. I would've looked into it further if it had been on my radar earlier but I've been messing around with this car search/ordering process for about 3 weeks now and I'm ready to throw in the towel.

I really did love the CTS-V. It left an impression on me like no other car has in a while. Minus the interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Go with the V --- You're getting the M5 competition for less than M3 money. IMO, the M5 is King of the super saloons


but after that its the CTS-V, the E ///AMG, the new Audi S6 (shocking how Cadillac dove head first into this segment on a 2nd gen car).

Plus, hennessey already is making packages for the V, starting at 600 HP (intake, pulley & ecu upgrade) so there is A LOT of power left in that car
That's the plan as long as the dealer's offer holds until August.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #12
mmm def
Colonel
 
mmm def's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i, 11 S4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ

Posts: 2,567
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to mmm def
Go for it, such a badass car.
mmm def is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
Biff Grissel
killinit.com
 
Biff Grissel's Avatar
 
Drives: fun
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: west coast

Posts: 509
iTrader: (0)

congrats.
Biff Grissel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #14
Veritable
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '13 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Posts: 203
iTrader: (0)

Weird, this is a lot better thread than my own in the E9x M3 vs. section, where I was 1/3 crucified for thinking about a straight trade of my 12k km 2011 E90 M3 to a brand-new full-warranty 2011 CTS-V Wagon 6MT:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686427
Veritable is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #15
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
 
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 4,765
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable View Post
Weird, this is a lot better thread than my own in the E9x M3 vs. section, where I was 1/3 crucified for thinking about a straight trade of my 12k km 2011 E90 M3 to a brand-new full-warranty 2011 CTS-V Wagon 6MT:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686427
It's because forums are flooded with fanboys who are butthurt and can't accept that the E92 is inferior to the CTS-V in just about every aspect.
TK-421 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,241
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
E9x M3 compared to a CTS-V is much closer than F30 335i to CTS-V. But at least it's the coolest M3, the E90 compared to the coolest CTS-V, the wagon. I like smaller, lighter cars, but that wagon is seriously cool, I've been tempted by current deals on them.
Red Bread is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #17
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,535
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm def View Post
Go for it, such a badass car.
You speak the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff Grissel View Post
congrats.
Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable View Post
Weird, this is a lot better thread than my own in the E9x M3 vs. section, where I was 1/3 crucified for thinking about a straight trade of my 12k km 2011 E90 M3 to a brand-new full-warranty 2011 CTS-V Wagon 6MT:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686427
The M3 crowd holds the M3 nearer and dearer to the heart than most, which I can understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
It's because forums are flooded with fanboys who are butthurt and can't accept that the E92 is inferior to the CTS-V in just about every aspect.
I've driven both the old and "LCI" C63, the E90 and E92 M3, and now the CTS-V sedan. All were absolutely fantastic cars but I've said it once and I will say it again, out of the aforementioned cars, the CTS-V left the most memorable impression. It simply had gobs of torque/power across the board and the suspension/steering were outstanding, especially given the weight of the car. Braking was also impressive - the Brembos did their job.

The LCI C63 has the nicest interior of the three (although this is certainly subjective). The E9X M3 has an advantage with the DCT transmission and its "lighter" weight.

Aside from the interior, the only other thing that is not ideal regarding the CTS-V would be the automatic transmission (which was present in the car I drove). It was a bit awkward at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
E9x M3 compared to a CTS-V is much closer than F30 335i to CTS-V. But at least it's the coolest M3, the E90 compared to the coolest CTS-V, the wagon. I like smaller, lighter cars, but that wagon is seriously cool, I've been tempted by current deals on them.
There are smokin' deals on the CTS-V to be had right now. As someone else mentioned, when you get M5/E63 performance at 335i price - it's hard to pass up.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #18
swanson
Convicted Felon
 
swanson's Avatar
 
Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,457
iTrader: (0)

DO IT!! you sound as though you REALLY want the CTS-V now. I think if you dont get it, it will always haunt you. What ifs? Where are you located and where did you get such a good deal on the V?
swanson is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #19
Veritable
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '13 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Posts: 203
iTrader: (0)

You guys down in the US are too lucky. Up here in Canada my local incentives right now are:

- $2500 discount from factory
- 4.99% financing

That's why I haven't made a factory-order on one yet. Even with a decent-to-great deal, I'm expected to fork out $75k+ for one of these. That's about the same as what I paid for my fair-optioned 2011 E90 M3. No thanks.

This wagon in my thread, I never considered driving a 5-door (except in conversations when people ask me why I don't like SUVs: "I'd rather drive a wagon instead"), but I've been staring at pictures of it in the past month and I'm coming around. Besides, the dealership priced it right in line with my M3's current depreciation.

What about waiting out one of the local in-stock 2012 Sedans? Sorry dear, only 4 available in my metro area of 2 million+ people, and ALL AUTOMATICS. Seriously, get the Tremec 6MT. Supposedly it's even worth 20whp on the dyno.

Last summer I made a run at one Black Raven / Ebony / Satin / Yellow Brembos Sedan, and it was 10% off so it was still listed at $73k @ 5.19%. Passed on it and picked up the M3, but regretted not having made a more seriously look at it ever since
Veritable is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #20
swanson
Convicted Felon
 
swanson's Avatar
 
Drives: chariot
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,457
iTrader: (0)

Did you try to get one in the US?
swanson is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #21
Veritable
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '13 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Posts: 203
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
Did you try to get one in the US?
And have the 200mph speedometer magically become a 200km/h speedometer in order to pass inspection? No thanks....
Veritable is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #22
ybbiz34
Moderator
 
ybbiz34's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,535
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
DO IT!! you sound as though you REALLY want the CTS-V now. I think if you dont get it, it will always haunt you. What ifs? Where are you located and where did you get such a good deal on the V?
Oh I did it already. Pulled the trigger on a '13 CTS-V Sedan today. Pricing remains unchanged for '13. Black Diamond Tricoat Exterior w/ Black Interior. Still ordering the F30 335i as well. I'm in Indiana. I conducted some intense/lengthy negotiating. There is a rebate, some conquest cash, and a dealer price reduction involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritable View Post
You guys down in the US are too lucky. Up here in Canada my local incentives right now are:

- $2500 discount from factory
- 4.99% financing

That's why I haven't made a factory-order on one yet. Even with a decent-to-great deal, I'm expected to fork out $75k+ for one of these. That's about the same as what I paid for my fair-optioned 2011 E90 M3. No thanks.

This wagon in my thread, I never considered driving a 5-door (except in conversations when people ask me why I don't like SUVs: "I'd rather drive a wagon instead"), but I've been staring at pictures of it in the past month and I'm coming around. Besides, the dealership priced it right in line with my M3's current depreciation.

What about waiting out one of the local in-stock 2012 Sedans? Sorry dear, only 4 available in my metro area of 2 million+ people, and ALL AUTOMATICS. Seriously, get the Tremec 6MT. Supposedly it's even worth 20whp on the dyno.

Last summer I made a run at one Black Raven / Ebony / Satin / Yellow Brembos Sedan, and it was 10% off so it was still listed at $73k @ 5.19%. Passed on it and picked up the M3, but regretted not having made a more seriously look at it ever since
Dang man that's brutal. My local dealer had 5 '12 CTS-Vs (a mix of coupes and sedans) on the lot when I was there yesterday. I think there are only 4 now as one coupe sold while I was there.

The wagon is pretty cool, IMHO. FWIW, I found out today that '13 pricing is identical to '12 pricing (no increases whatsoever) - according to my dealer.

If the price is right, definitely make another run at it. My MSRP on the '13 is roughly around $67,700 and I'll be leasing it at around $55k.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
ybbiz34 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST