E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MMW: Supercharged N52 e90 328i - 5/18/12



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-29-2012, 10:49 AM   #111
jfisher160
First Lieutenant
7

 
Drives: 2013 320i Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA


Posts: 332
iTrader: (3)

Didn't see it at Bimmerfest, but saw it that night after Bimmerfest. Was pretty sweet to see in action. Can't wait to see what the final tune and see how well the cars runs.
__________________
New - 2013 - 320i - 15% Tint - Future Mods ( BMS Tune, Suspension, Wheels, Exhaust)

Sold - 2007 328i (3-Stage Manifold - BMW Perf Intake w/Scoops - Powerbox - Magnaflow Exhaust - MMW Headers - KW Street Comfort - VMR 701s 19' w/M3 offset - BMW Strut Brace - 330I Brake Conversation - 5% Tint All Around - 8K HID Fog Lights -Angel Eyes)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #112
C ///M
Lieutenant
8

 
C ///M's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 X3 M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago


Posts: 415
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
One person saw it? Darn, I was kind of expecting a handful of new pictures from the people that saw it, but it's not like he had a booth with it on display, so I imagine the car was probably just parked someplace.
__________________
Prototype 2007 Monaco E83 'X3M' | N54T Swap | Gruppe M CF CAI | FMIC, DPs, CP, & Dual Oil Coolers TBD | Dual 2.5" Piping w/X-Pipe | M3 Rear Exhaust | 20" BC Forged HB05S | Michelin PSS 275 & 305 | F10 M5 & F30 M Brakes | KW Variant 2 | H&R Sways | BMW Performance Grills w/Tri-Color | Custom M Body Treatment | CF Trim | M Performance Carbon Shift & Handbrake Knobs | BMW Performance SS Pedals | M3 Dead Pedal | V1 Hardwired | Int LEDs | Umnitza Orion v4 AE & More
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #113
t1mmy
Second Lieutenant
2

 
Drives: BMW 328i 2008 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin, TX


Posts: 247
iTrader: (0)

And the cycle continues!

ETA next update... unknown. Anybody get their headers yet?
__________________
BMW 328i 2008, 6MT, Perf Exh + Perf Int, Continental DWS and BMW Perf SSK
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #114
Rotorocious
Major
32

 
Rotorocious's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida


Posts: 1,461
iTrader: (3)

Here come the crickets
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #115
NYC6
Banned
United_States
28

 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY


Posts: 2,078
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Three pages and no one asks about the weaker magnesium block being used with a S/C said to put more power to the ground than the block BMW deemed needed to be beefed up for 300bhp?
Hey Gavin, would love to hear your thoughts on this. Thought you would have chimed in by now.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #116
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
117

 
Gavin@MMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 818/805


Posts: 3,880
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Hey Gavin, would love to hear your thoughts on this. Thought you would have chimed in by now.
Didn't see that question yet, In regards to the Magnesium block in the N52 under boost -

when BMW went for boost in the e9x cars, they went twin turbo. Now that setup is not correct for the N52, which is an aluminum sleeve with a magnesium surround. The twin turbo N54 makes a ton of TQ power from almost a stand still, which would cause stress on the transmission and crank from the low RPM's.

But the way the N52 supercharger works is by spinning with the engines RPM's and power builds as RPM builds. This means that when driving from a stop - your mostly using the engines power and not stressing out any components in the bottom end. Once the engine starts spinning the power is not an issue to control, because once in motion - an object has less resistance, making the N52 able to take a supercharger without problems.

so it breaks down like this:

500-2000RPM - OEM. On Motor Only (negligible boost levels) So once you get rolling, the resistance is cut and the engine wont stress as boost builds.

2500-4500RPM - Mid level boost, this is where power stars to really come in - and the car is already rolling quickly so the mechanics in the transmission and block are not under stress as it's not a sudden demand for power from the bottom end.

4500-7kRPM - builds to full boost, with max HP - which again does not stress the same as the lower end TQ.

the N54 is a TQ monster. The N52 will be a HP car, not a TQ car.

So, BMW deemed the N52 unsuitable for "Boost" with the mindset of doing a highly stressful twin turbo setup. A centrifugal supercharger is not something BMW would have done because it doesn't give the fuel ratings that a turbo car can for the EPA.

I still wouldn't turbo an N52, but they love a supercharger on them
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #117
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
117

 
Gavin@MMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 818/805


Posts: 3,880
iTrader: (18)

We are just finishing up some programming for the Meth injection system, which will be a couple days to finish the software on that part. Car is running great and I'll have it back on the dyno when the software tweaks get wrapped up in the next couple days.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #118
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
40

 
e90pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Oakland, CA


Posts: 2,110
iTrader: (3)

Will meth be required for the initial release? Or is this a "nice to have" thing.
__________________
--Marcelo
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #119
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
117

 
Gavin@MMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 818/805


Posts: 3,880
iTrader: (18)

Nope, Meth will not be required.

I am putting it in because you guys want to know where the absolute end is - and I intend to find out. So Meth will be needed for that lol

But you can run stage 1 without meth forever, without issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #120
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
11

 
DJ Apex's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston TX


Posts: 479
iTrader: (1)

i still want better vids from a higher roll . like 60-130
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #121
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
117

 
Gavin@MMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 818/805


Posts: 3,880
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Apex View Post
i still want better vids from a higher roll . like 60-130
I'll be doing more for you guys coming up in a few days, we will have to see about road conditions and such for speeds like that, but on my future road test in a couple weeks I will be able to push it in the open desert roads.

I also want to do some 1/4 mile runs at the track soon too

Still doing some final tweaking before I can do some solid dyno runs with the peak power, but were within days on that front.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #122
NYC6
Banned
United_States
28

 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY


Posts: 2,078
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
Didn't see that question yet, In regards to the Magnesium block in the N52 under boost -

when BMW went for boost in the e9x cars, they went twin turbo. Now that setup is not correct for the N52, which is an aluminum sleeve with a magnesium surround. The twin turbo N54 makes a ton of TQ power from almost a stand still, which would cause stress on the transmission and crank from the low RPM's.

But the way the N52 supercharger works is by spinning with the engines RPM's and power builds as RPM builds. This means that when driving from a stop - your mostly using the engines power and not stressing out any components in the bottom end. Once the engine starts spinning the power is not an issue to control, because once in motion - an object has less resistance, making the N52 able to take a supercharger without problems.

so it breaks down like this:

500-2000RPM - OEM. On Motor Only (negligible boost levels) So once you get rolling, the resistance is cut and the engine wont stress as boost builds.

2500-4500RPM - Mid level boost, this is where power stars to really come in - and the car is already rolling quickly so the mechanics in the transmission and block are not under stress as it's not a sudden demand for power from the bottom end.

4500-7kRPM - builds to full boost, with max HP - which again does not stress the same as the lower end TQ.

the N54 is a TQ monster. The N52 will be a HP car, not a TQ car.

So, BMW deemed the N52 unsuitable for "Boost" with the mindset of doing a highly stressful twin turbo setup. A centrifugal supercharger is not something BMW would have done because it doesn't give the fuel ratings that a turbo car can for the EPA.

I still wouldn't turbo an N52, but they love a supercharger on them
I have a Vortech centri on my Corvette. It makes a quite healthy amount of TQ. So will the Vortech on the I6, much more than BMW envisioned on the magnesium block and cast internals. Granted, higher up in the power band than a turbo but much higher than stock. I question whether the block and internals will withstand with greatly increased pressure, even a higher rpm's. I dont think so. I predict many grenaded N52's. I look forward to seeing what happens once your system hits the streets.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #123
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
117

 
Gavin@MMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 818/805


Posts: 3,880
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
I have a Vortech centri on my Corvette. It makes a quite healthy amount of TQ. So will the Vortech on the I6, much more than BMW envisioned on the magnesium block and cast internals. Granted, higher up in the power band than a turbo but much higher than stock. I question whether the block and internals will withstand with greatly increased pressure, even a higher rpm's. I dont think so. I predict many grenaded N52's. I look forward to seeing what happens once your system hits the streets.
The differences between a Chevy V8 and an N52 are huge in terms of forced induction, I highly doubt your running a V3 on that car and your probably running much higher levels of boost, as well as those V8's make a lot more TQ in general - it's a totally different animal.

through tuning and mechanical changes you can dictate how the car behaves and where it brings it's power in, and as I've said many times already - It's not even on the market yet and much more testing will be done, because grenading my own or anyone else's car is not what I am about.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #124
NYC6
Banned
United_States
28

 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY


Posts: 2,078
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
The differences between a Chevy V8 and an N52 are huge in terms of forced induction, I highly doubt your running a V3 on that car and your probably running much higher levels of boost, as well as those V8's make a lot more TQ in general - it's a totally different animal.

through tuning and mechanical changes you can dictate how the car behaves and where it brings it's power in, and as I've said many times already - It's not even on the market yet and much more testing will be done, because grenading my own or anyone else's car is not what I am about.
Its a V2 I use. I prefer many qts of cooled, filtered oil as opposed to a couple ozs of oil to cool/lubricate a turbine spinning that fast. But that another debate.

Yes you're right, thats one of the reasons I posted. the LS series and N52 engines are hugley different, the Chevy doesnt use Mg/Al blocks and have been tested many times before making much more hp/tq than stock blocks/rotating assemblys. Havent heard to many N52 boosted applications. Im just curious and a little skeptical.
Seems BMW themselves thought that the N52 needs to be built up to withstand 300/300. Tuning not withstanding, What mechanical changes are you talking about?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #125
wleonard
New Member
0

 
Drives: 2006 E90 325i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Irvine, CA


Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Did this thread die? What happened?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #126
Dr.GumbyM.D.
Private First Class
United_States
1

 
Dr.GumbyM.D.'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Posts: 150
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wleonard View Post
Did this thread die? What happened?
The thread gets updated when Gavin has an update or someone has a question. No updates, no direct questions, then it should just go to the back. I'm sure Gavin has it bookmarked.

If anything, I prefer it to go to the back until an update or legitimate question comes up, because most of the time it's just people hating/trolling on MMW and/or Gavin. The legitimate questions are usually excellent, like the prior one about the Corvette engines. Unfortunately most of these threads turn into trash talk.

Don't bump the thread unless you've got something valuable to contribute.
__________________
2009 328i Jet Black with Dakota Brown interior - Nav, heated seats, Premium Package
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #127
wleonard
New Member
0

 
Drives: 2006 E90 325i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Irvine, CA


Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.GumbyM.D. View Post
The thread gets updated when Gavin has an update or someone has a question. No updates, no direct questions, then it should just go to the back. I'm sure Gavin has it bookmarked.

If anything, I prefer it to go to the back until an update or legitimate question comes up, because most of the time it's just people hating/trolling on MMW and/or Gavin. The legitimate questions are usually excellent, like the prior one about the Corvette engines. Unfortunately most of these threads turn into trash talk.

Don't bump the thread unless you've got something valuable to contribute.
Okay. I agree with that. I'm not here to talk trash or flame the thread. I'm just curious because this was my dream for my N52 before I sold it. Hope some good dyno's come. I'm pretty excited.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #128
adubey
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada


Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Not as reliable as a 335
I would definitely rely on all the 335 members that are sure to hold the same opinion
__________________
2006 BMW 330i
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #129
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
132

 
Drives: 2006 BS 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: S. Bay Area, CA + Newark, NJ + ChiCity + True Blue


Posts: 11,038
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Here come the crickets
r u lost
__________________
looking for a PreLCI Black Sapphire e90 front bumper without license plate holes

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #130
Rotorocious
Major
32

 
Rotorocious's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida


Posts: 1,461
iTrader: (3)

Is that a racist comment because I'm black?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #131
E90ROXS
Second Lieutenant
5

 
E90ROXS's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SJ


Posts: 249
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
Right around $6500 all said and done is what i expect to be at. Shipping included
Is this the complete kit? SC, headers etc....
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #132
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
132

 
Drives: 2006 BS 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: S. Bay Area, CA + Newark, NJ + ChiCity + True Blue


Posts: 11,038
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Is that a racist comment because I'm black?
lol what?

i think you're in the wrong subforum
__________________
looking for a PreLCI Black Sapphire e90 front bumper without license plate holes

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
328i, e90, mmw, n52, supercharger

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST