E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Installing AE Perf Exhaust - quick question

05-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
wdlfbio
Captain

Drives: Z4 35is, 335xi, Chevy 2500Dmax

Installing AE Perf Exhaust - quick question

Got the exhaust from **********s the other day and have today to install it. The car is lifted up, some corrosionX on the bolts to help them break loose (though I'm hoping they won't be bad since the car is a 2012), and have the new exhaust laid out. Opened the hardware package and there were only 4 new gaskets. The exhaust is essentially in 6 pieces, so 6 connections. To me, that equals 6 new gaskets. I'm assuming that AE is saying to just reuse the stock gaskets at the downpipes??? Does that make sense? I've always replaced gaskets whenever they come off.

Also, does it make sense to remove every exhaust hanger or will I be able to slide the exhaust hanger pins out without removing each hangar?
'12 Alpine white Z4 35is via EuroDelivery June 4th
      05-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlfbio View Post
Got the exhaust from **********s the other day and have today to install it. The car is lifted up, some corrosionX on the bolts to help them break loose (though I'm hoping they won't be bad since the car is a 2012), and have the new exhaust laid out. Opened the hardware package and there were only 4 new gaskets. The exhaust is essentially in 6 pieces, so 6 connections. To me, that equals 6 new gaskets. I'm assuming that AE is saying to just reuse the stock gaskets at the downpipes??? Does that make sense? I've always replaced gaskets whenever they come off.
Yup, you are supposed to reuse the gaskets by the downpipes. In my case, I had AR design downpipes installed with my AE, and they come with nice bomb proof gaskets.

nitehawk is offline   Canada
      05-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
wdlfbio
Captain

Drives: Z4 35is, 335xi, Chevy 2500Dmax

all done. Nothing broken and no blood. That's a good mod day for me. The factory exhaust is a tank. Holy crud that thing was heavy as hell.

First impressions on startup left me with a big smile. But driving about 8 miles, I found out she drones about 2200-2400 rpm, which is cruising about 65-70 mph. I'm an Xdrive and have stock catted downpipes. The exhaust is very quiet, but deeper. it is certainly more noticeable when I get on her though. But not in a ricer or rude sort of a way by any means. If the drone can be reduced, it'll be great. If not, I'm going to hate my 62-mile drive each way to work.
'12 Alpine white Z4 35is via EuroDelivery June 4th