E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Pulled over in Toronto

05-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
adriang
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Thought i'd share my story,

I was driving east on St Clair at Old Weston rd intersection. The intersection has a left turn lane, forward lane and forward/right lane.

Anyways the light was red and the cop was in the forward lane, I needed to go right soon so I merged into the forward/right lane when the light turned green I drove forward and soon turned right on a street.

I then realized the cop started following me, so I started driving perfectly making sure I had no rolling stops at the signs.

Sure enough I was pulled over and was told that the right most lane is a right turn lane only! I was very nice to the cop and told her that I was 100% sure that the right lane was forward/right and that she should go check too, I was quickly shut up and told that she "makes that turn at least 300 times a day, and that she would know much better than me since I'm not from around here" (there is a cop station nearby, makes sense for her to know),

I just told her I had never had problems with the cops and then waited for her to ask me for my license and registration, she took it back to her cruiser looked up my record and said I had been ticketed for a rolling stop last year (NEVER HAPPENED!!!) I said that's incorrect.... Anyways I got let off with a "warning"....

Right after this happened I went to the police station nearby to ask what this ticket was, and if a warning goes on my record. I got a very sarcastic answer: "Are you actually complaining that you got a warning?!" nonetheless the cop pulled my file and sure enough there was nothing there (or at least that's what he said)! Weird............... Eh?

I do worry about keeping a clean record because insurance is already high enough...

Anyways I hope tomorrow when she makes those 300+ right turns, that she realizes that she was wrong, and maybe feel bad because I called her bluff about a rolling stop ticket.....

Just wondering do these types of "warnings" go on my driving record?
      05-23-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
GreekboyD
Colonel

Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [3.75]
No they don't.

What NWA said all those years ago.
GreekboyD is online now   Canada
      05-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
gmdoctor
First Lieutenant

Drives: e90

They do make notes that are read internally.
The next time you get pulled over theyll know why you got stopped this time
      05-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
homieG
Captain

Drives: F

my first ticket EVER was because of something like this. I was 17 at the time and I was in the left turning lane stopped at the lights. The cop was across me waiting in the left turning lane as well. Light goes green, I start turning left and the cop decides to go straight and almost T-bone's me. Pulls me over and says I was in the wrong........I lived very close to that intersection and I had seen multiple people do what the cop did. I was too chicken to say anything to the cop as it was my first time getting pulled over and it was literally a week after I got my licence! I would definitely say something if that happened to me again!

I'm glad you stood up to her and made her look stupid! Cops think they are in the right ALL the time!! Wouldn't say ALL of them but most of them do. Guess they love power trippin! Go stop crime rather than wasting innocent peoples' time and money!

Looking or know anyone looking for a Mazda/BMW - PM me or email me - gshah@avante.mazda.ca
homieG is offline   Canada
      05-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
1LazyBmw
Brigadier General

Drives: E82

You should go back to that turn and look to see if its a straight and turn or just a turn.. just to prove her wrong lmao.. and no warnings are not recorded.
      05-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
MarcoE93
Private First Class

Drives: AW coral red E93

I live just 5 Min from there and I'm pretty sure it's a right turn lane only. It does mess you up because I don't think there are any markings on the road just yet tho. They did just complete that part of st Clair not to long ago too. Maybe a year or two. So I could be wrong
      05-23-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
adriang
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoE93
I live just 5 Min from there and I'm pretty sure it's a right turn lane only. It does mess you up because I don't think there are any markings on the road just yet tho. They did just complete that part of st Clair not to long ago too. Maybe a year or two. So I could be wrong
Marco drive by and see, it's marked on the floor and there's a sign!

I drove by three times just in case my eyes fooled me the first two times

I remember before the construction it used to be right turn lane only because you couldn't go forward as there was only one lane ahead after the turn
      05-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #8
MarcoE93
Private First Class

Drives: AW coral red E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriang View Post
Marco drive by and see, it's marked on the floor and there's a sign!

I drove by three times just in case my eyes fooled me the first two times

I remember before the construction it used to be right turn lane only because you couldn't go forward as there was only one lane ahead after the turn
Really? I guess I haven't noticed it. I'll drive by and take a look. You were going east on st Clair right. So the McDonalds was on your right correct ?

Edit: im thinking Weston and keele area. I'll have to drive by and see.

Last edited by MarcoE93; 05-23-2012 at 11:34 AM.
      05-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
adriang
Lieutenant

I'll be going down again today to play some soccer I'll snap some pictures
      05-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
Zebra99
Colonel

Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Insurance will not ding you on minor traffic tickets.

You will only get dinged on convictions - such as things that will give you points. The majority of surcharging on an insurance policy comes from speeding or failing to abide more serious laws.

Seatbelt / running red / fail to have insurance card - these kinds of things.

Most insurers will allow 1 conviction without a surcharge, but beware those who don't and those who ding on the second. Could easily go up 20%.

I'm in the industry ao any of you GTA guys who have insurance questions I'm always here to help.
Zebra99 is offline   Canada
      05-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
Bladerunner
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Hey do we get any kind of discount if we have BMW assist tracking?
      05-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
dilankk
Private

Drives: 2007 335i E93 AW/CR

One intersection that is terrible in Toronto is when you are getting off the gardiner expwy at the "Yonge st" exit. Hafta cut across 3 lanes with oncoming traffic from lakeshore on your left if you want to make the left turn onto Yonge st.. Usually a cop waiting after the turn to ding people for not clearing the light and/or turning form the middle lane. Terrible design...
      05-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
sheerin
Private

Drives: 2006 323i

Yeah the cops have a not system on the computer in the car, its awesome for me as i'm flagged as a paramedic so whenever i get pulled over its the usual "hey, dude, how ya doing? Just try to keep it a little slower, okay?"
      05-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
Zebra99
Colonel

Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner
Hey do we get any kind of discount if we have BMW assist tracking?
Discuss it with your broker. In most cases only "extra" or "aftermarket" alarm/anti-theft systems get considered for a 10-15% discount on your comprehensive premium.

But...because its a satellite third party feature it may qualify, who knows. I'd say it probably won't because it's a manufacturing thing which comes with the car.

Sorry for the thread jack, btw
Zebra99 is offline   Canada
      05-23-2012, 10:19 PM   #15
adriang
Lieutenant

No prob it's all interesting stuff,

Hoping to get some pics of the intersection soon. I ended up not driving that far south today..
      05-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
adriang
Lieutenant

Drove by and took a picture,

http://www.4shared.com/photo/o7kyw40V/photo.html

I was doing exactly what that Jetta is doing
      05-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #17
esc

Drives: 335i

It's too bad she didn't actually give you the ticket; it'd be a fun one to show up in court for with that photo.
      05-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #18
adriang
Lieutenant

yeah but at the same time I wouldn't want all the hassle...

excellent use of the semi-colon Sir!
      05-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #19
Andy M

Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

It's the end of the month and they need to meet their quotas. They'll pull you over for anything since they'll meet the quota even if the ticket gets thrown out in court. I've been pulled over for having Alberta plates in Ontario even though I moved from Alberta to Ontario.

In all honesty, the quota system is bad and if the police are forced to write questionable tickets for infractions, all it does it just waste taxpayer money in terms of court time.

http://www.680news.com/city-hall/art...itle=City+Hall
Andy M is offline   Canada
      05-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #20
adriang
Lieutenant

It's interesting you brought that up Andy, chief Bill Blair of Toronto police said earlier that they send out memo emails to watch out for certain things every week, and said there was no quota system. Don't know what to believe
      05-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #21
Andy M

Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

I don't think there's an official set number (i.e. "quota") but there are informal expectations at least. Every organization has some sort of Key Performance Indicator to rate how well someone is doing. An unofficial quota could be as simple as a statement saying "an average number of tickets a police officer is expected to write is ____".

Doctors have KPI's in terms of how many patients they're expected to see a day. Salesmen have quotas for sales. Even factories have quotas for production units. Professional consultants have a utilization/chargeability goal. If you fall behind the quota, it means one of two things: 1. you're not doing your job efficiently, 2. there's not enough demand. Either one of those two things means your job is in danger of being axed (or if you're self-employed, you'll have trouble paying bills).

Since police are "policing", a better performance indicator in my opinion would be for random monitoring of dash cams to see if they're doing their job.
Andy M is offline   Canada
      05-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #22
1lyfe
Major

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99
Insurance will not ding you on minor traffic tickets.

You will only get dinged on convictions - such as things that will give you points. The majority of surcharging on an insurance policy comes from speeding or failing to abide more serious laws.

Seatbelt / running red / fail to have insurance card - these kinds of things.

Most insurers will allow 1 conviction without a surcharge, but beware those who don't and those who ding on the second. Could easily go up 20%.

I'm in the industry ao any of you GTA guys who have insurance questions I'm always here to help.
can you get me cheap insurance? hahaha

my insurance actually went up 2 years ago because they said my area's car theft rate increased...I found it pretty bullshit.

I had a clean record at that time too
1lyfe is offline   Canada