E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E90 Dash Speaker is rattling!!!

05-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
P's Ultimate Machine
Registered

Drives: 06 BMW 330i

Smile E90 Dash Speaker is rattling!!!

Hi guys, I have recently bought a pre-owned 06 330i and I think my dash speaker is blown. I tried looking up online to buy the speaker, but i couldn't really find only dash speaker. I was wondering, is there any place where I can buy BMW OEM speaker online? Also, did anyone tried changing the speaker by their self? if so, is it simple to do or not recommend doing by my self? Any instruction or guidance will really help...
Thanks
P.S. this is my first BMW and it is manual, and I am in love with it...
      05-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Njprince0226
Lieutenant

Drives: E90

Haha mine is blown aswell, they're known to blow in our cars. I'm not sure where to get one I tried looking for it months back but upon further research I've seen threads where they say the whole system sounds better with just disconnecting the center dash. I gave it a try and imo it does sound pretty good. Anyways, If you do find brand new stock oem center dash speakers let me know. Goodluck
      05-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
mike3000fl
Eleven Bravo

Drives: 06 330i

are you sure something didnt fall in that air vent?

it pops right off the dash, stick finger in vents and yank up, or pry it with something plastic.

05-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Peertwelve
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 E90 335i  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P's Ultimate Machine View Post
Hi guys, I have recently bought a pre-owned 06 330i and I think my dash speaker is blown. I tried looking up online to buy the speaker, but i couldn't really find only dash speaker. I was wondering, is there any place where I can buy BMW OEM speaker online? Also, did anyone tried changing the speaker by their self? if so, is it simple to do or not recommend doing by my self? Any instruction or guidance will really help...
Thanks
P.S. this is my first BMW and it is manual, and I am in love with it...
here is the part number.. you should be able to order one from a dealer like Tischer http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...27&hg=65&fg=20
      05-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
P's Ultimate Machine
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
are you sure something didnt fall in that air vent?

it pops right off the dash, stick finger in vents and yank up, or pry it with something plastic.
Good idea, I will have to do this and see whats going on, but my feeling is that it's probably blown... still finger crossed...lol
      05-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
P's Ultimate Machine
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peertwelve View Post
here is the part number.. you should be able to order one from a dealer like Tischer http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...27&hg=65&fg=20
Thanks for that info, the link that u provided, they don't sell it any more buy hey at lease i got the part no. I can look it up online somewhere.
      10-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #7
BMW Lawman
Supreme Commander of Allied Forces

Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
Easy Fix!!!!! maybe...

I had this exact problem with my 06 330i. The dealer wanted a ridiculous amount of money for a replacement speaker so I found a thread on how to remove the speaker cover, which was simple, and I took the speaker out, which was simple, and inspected it. I found the center cone had seperated from the metal ring at a point, which was causing the horrible blown speaker sound. I re-glued it to the metal ring with some super glue, and it's worked perfect ever since. I'm guessing they had a batch of bad glue holding the cone in place or the heat finally got to it. Either way, don't waist your money on a new speaker until you do what I did as far as inspecting it......it may be a simple fix like mine was.
      10-15-2012, 04:29 AM   #8
BMW Lawman
Supreme Commander of Allied Forces

Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
Easy Fix!!!!! maybe...

I had this exact problem with my 06 330i. The dealer wanted a ridiculous amount of money for a replacement speaker so I found a thread on how to remove the speaker cover, which was simple, and I took the speaker out, which was simple, and inspected it. I found the center cone had seperated from the metal ring at a point, which was causing the horrible blown speaker sound. I re-glued it to the metal ring with some super glue, and it's worked perfect ever since. I'm guessing they had a batch of bad glue holding the cone in place or the heat finally got to it. Either way, don't waist your money on a new speaker until you do what I did as far as inspecting it......it may be a simple fix like mine was.
      02-10-2013, 12:56 AM   #9
beauderek
Radio boy

Drives: 2006 bmw 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to beauderek
Good info. Mine is all of a sudden rattling now, after getting my car back from the dealer for a separate issue.
Jet Black/Beige Leatherette/Manual/SP/Heated Seats/Rear Spoiler/BMW Performance Front Bumper and Side Skirts/M-Tech Rear Bumper with CF Diffuser/Euro headlights/Blackline taillights/Shadowline trim/Leather short shift knob/Style 216 Motorsport Wheels
      02-10-2013, 05:15 AM   #10
cdgatti
Major

Drives: e90 328i

Bavarian Soundworks (BSW) also sells a center channel replacement speaker. It has the same bolt pattern and wiring connections so is a direct replacement and an upgrade over stock. They are made by Rainbow and pretty high quality, work great with factory amp power. Some people use them with aftermarket amps as well but you have to be careful with the power level.

The BSW speaker is only a 4" mid like the BMW oem. There are many 4" coaxials on the market that will also fit - you just have to do little mods with them mounting and the wiring connections at the speaker, all very simple. The coaxial route with the added tweeter is a nice sound upgrade. I happen to run a Polk DB401 and it is a nice sounding coax, but plan on putting a morel integra in there if I can ever part with the cash, they are spendy!

Last edited by cdgatti; 02-10-2013 at 05:21 AM.
      02-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #11
explorer2
Private

Drives: 06 325xi

The super glue trick worked for me as well
      02-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #12
mrgreenwood
Private

Drives: 330i

I order my speaker from this site http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-330i-N52_3.0L/
mrgreenwood is offline   United_States
      02-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
dmi3disel

Drives: 330i Sport Package

I have the same problem with my 06 330i. I was looking for information about what kind aftermarket speaker I can replace it with since I found an OEM dash speaker for $160.00.
Thanks for for the fix info, I hope I can easily fix mine too.
dmi3disel is offline   Canada
      04-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
cathomp5
Registered

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i w/sports pkg

I had the same issue! Right after taking the car in to have professionally detailed the dash speaker started rattling. I figured the guys had accidentally sprayed something in the speaker. I popped the vent off, applied some super glue to the loose part of the speaker and good as new! $1.50 fix!