E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Old twat just taken the trim off my car.

05-25-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
Old twat just taken the trim off my car.

Parked up and opened door, standing there and this old croney in a fiesta has tried to manouvre round me and caught my trim ripping
It away from the door. I've screamed and he stopped 20m away,
I asked him to come back so I can have his details. Reverses up and almost hit my car again, I was screaming STOOOOOOOOPPPP!!

The guy could hardly walk let alone drive, he has given me his details. Do
I go straight through insurance or get cash out him?! I got no apology and no doubt the prick will try turn it around against me.

Where do you think I stand?
      05-25-2012, 07:42 AM   #2
rsmallwo
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335d

Offer them once and only once to fix it off their own back. Stipulate if they don't repsond in 48hrs, its insurance time....

If its just a piece of trim its going to be alot cheaper going outside insurance for eveyone concerned.

Maybe get yourself a quote asap so you can present that as a potencial cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
zltm089
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Tell him, if he doesn't pay up, u'll report him to the poilice...at his fcukin age, he shudn't be driving!...assuming hes over 60....hehehe....

fcukin old tw*t!...man, i wud have bullied the fcuk out of him...if he didn't apologized!....he shud be doing a sight test aswell!!!...

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
SCN_Saul
http://www.seatcupra.net
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E91 335i M Sport

Send a message via MSN to SCN_Saul
Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
Tell him, if he doesn't pay up, u'll report him to the poilice...at his fcukin age, he shudn't be driving!...assuming hes over 60....hehehe....

fcukin old tw*t!...man, i wud have bullied the fcuk out of him...if he didn't apologized!....he shud be doing a sight test aswell!!!...
bullied the f*ck out of him? what are you on?

as for OP, get a price to fix it and offer for him to pay for it, if he doesnt then go to insurance, but without witness' (willing to testify to police) its your word against his, and regardless a claim will go against your insurance (fault/non fault)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCN_Saul View Post
bullied the f*ck out of him? what are you on?
+1.

Respect them, as you will be elderly one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCN_Saul View Post
as for OP, get a price to fix it and offer for him to pay for it, if he doesnt then go to insurance, but without witness' (willing to testify to police) its your word against his, and regardless a claim will go against your insurance (fault/non fault)
Spot on.
I would inform my insurance asap, just in case if that man tries to twist the story.
Just inform your insurance about it, and tell them that you will get a price to get it fixed and then you will make your mind about going through insurance or outside of insurance.

Once you get the price, ask that man if he is willing to co-operate, and get it sorted.

Also report the incident to local police station and get a reference number (just in case).

9/10 Elderly co-operate with such cases as they do not want to see their driving license getting taken away.

Sorry to hear that OP, and it is frustrating when you look after you car with passion, and somebody just do something silly to your car.
      05-25-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Drives: 08' 335i Coupe

That is not so good.

Pretty lucky me managed to clip the trip without catching the rest of the door and doing significant damage.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Think carefully mate before you report it to your insurance company, as some company's deem even a telephone call to be an admittance of a claim. If you want to make a claim then it doesn't matter.

Sound him out by asking him if he would like to settle with cash, this could then buy you a little extra time to get a quote.

Its not worth going through your insurance if you don't have to, as your premium WILL go up!

Last edited by Cyprio; 05-25-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
I'm so angry and it was so pointless an incident..

It's scuff the paint off the side trim, looks bad to me. Also taken a bit of paint off the door.

The old croney really shouldn't have been on the road!
      05-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
zltm089
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
he shouldn't have been on the road....and now your insurance will go up!...Respect....respect must be earned....

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
creepy coupe
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear that Carl. Was you behind the wheel?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
I was outside the car Del, door open and I was standing there! Car was stationary.

So general consensus is do not ring insurance co
      05-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
creepy coupe
Major General
Rep

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I was outside the car Del, door open and I was standing there! Car was stationary.

So general consensus is do not ring insurance co
I'd definitely go see the old boy first with a quote. They often panic at the thought of getting insurance involved.

If you do have to inform them. I can't see you have anything to worry about, given your car was parked.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
IanS100
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 320d LCI M Sport Plus

If you do intend to inform the police make sure you do it within 24 hrs - I had a door mirror ripped off a few years back & the bloke agreed to pay but when it came to coughing up he wasn't interested - when I rang the police they told me I had to report within 24hrs, so they weren't interested - also, he didn't bother reporting it to his insurance company so strike 3, they weren't interested either!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #14
alzieboy
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E350 CDi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post

Get some HELP
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #15
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: F10

Carl, just to correct the misconception here.
If you ring and inform your insurance, it will NOT effect your premium at all. You are reporting an incident and not claiming through insurance.
Your premium get affected only if you / third party (TP) make a claim.

Lets say if you do not report it, and TP does and claim that you bumped into his car, then where will you stand there?

First thing first, report it to police.
Second, speak to that person and see if he is interested to cough up your bill.
If there is any hesitation or he is asking sometime to think about it, report it to your insurance but DON'T get it repaired through them.
Get it repaired from outside and ask that man to pay the bill + inconvenience caused to you.

And I am talking from personal experience!
      05-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #16
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Drives: 08' 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
If you ring and inform your insurance, it will NOT effect your premium at all. You are reporting an incident and not claiming through insurance.

Lets say if you do not report it, and TP does and claim that you bumped into his car, then where will you stand there?

If there is any hesitation or he is asking sometime to think about it, report it to your insurance but DON'T get it repaired through them.
Get it repaired from outside and ask that man to pay the bill + inconvenience caused to you.

Ever noticed that how many years NCB do you have, how many claims have you made in the last 5 years and how many accidents have you had in the last 5 years are all seperate questions?

Why would they need to know all 3 if it didn't affect the policy?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #17
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i

Quote:

100% the correct way to go.

To summarize:

Ring the 5-0 and explain the situation honestly, citing that you don't want to bother the codger with excessive insurance rampage.

Give the old boy his 1 chance only.

Get paid OR if he fucks you about, get your insurance company to nail him.

Any witnesses or CCTV you can get? Some CCTV is overwritten weekly etc, so get it now or risk not getting it.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #18
zltm089
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
100% the correct way to go.

To summarize:

Ring the 5-0 and explain the situation honestly, citing that you don't want to bother the codger with excessive insurance rampage.

Give the old boy his 1 chance only.

Get paid OR if he fucks you about, get your insurance company to nail him.

Any witnesses or CCTV you can get? Some CCTV is overwritten weekly etc, so get it now or risk not getting it.

Matt
Getting the insurance to nail him....only problem with that is that its going to appear on the "history" of Carl....

and something tells me that his premium might go up because of this....

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #19
zltm089
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
and i do apologise to any OAP member on here if i sounded rude....

but i don't really care if you're a pregant/OAP/child/homeless or whatever, ...

if you fcuk with my car and try to mess me about, i'll be a bigger c*ck than you so don't even try!....

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #20
Cyprio
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

Quote:

Not quite true.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/...xclusions.html
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #21
B005T3D-G
Class Leading Reprobate
Scotland
Rep

Drives: Impreza STi - E92 335i (56)

Garage List
Well by reading your description of the incident I wouldn't have let him leave. I'd be straight on the phone to the police. I have a great deal of respect for our elders but they are handed a free bus pass for a reason. IMO 70% of them are incapable of driving competently. For his own safety and that of others he needs to be removed from the road until his abilities have been assessed.

Get a quote and ask him to pay up but going by his attitude as you described I think you'll have to go through insurance.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #22
SO8
Captain
Rep

Drives: Z4 35iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
If you do intend to inform the police make sure you do it within 24 hrs - I had a door mirror ripped off a few years back & the bloke agreed to pay but when it came to coughing up he wasn't interested - when I rang the police they told me I had to report within 24hrs, so they weren't interested - also, he didn't bother reporting it to his insurance company so strike 3, they weren't interested either!
It is not a reportable accident ... names, etc were exchanged ... unless of course he refused any relevant info ... thus the 24 hrs doesn't apply and police will not take a report.

I would not tell the insurance at this stage - see if he pays up.
Appreciate 0