E90Post
 


Mtrack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Quarter size Ding/scratch



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
swifty
Major
 
Drives: FO M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

Posts: 1,138
iTrader: (4)

Quarter size Ding/scratch

Hey guys,
Someone just opened their door and hit the back side (right before the door) on my coupe. The dent is the size of a quater and it's right on the crease. Paint is completely off.

Anyway, my question is, will it be difficult to pull the dent when it is on a crease or will most shops just fill it in. Furthermore, my car is a mineral white. Will it difficult to just paint match that spot? Can you guys give me an estimate on how much a good shop will charge me.

Thanks in adv.
swifty is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Surly73
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 E90 328i 6MT sport/prem
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oakville, Ontario

Posts: 722
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Hey guys,
Someone just opened their door and hit the back side (right before the door) on my coupe. The dent is the size of a quater and it's right on the crease. Paint is completely off.

Anyway, my question is, will it be difficult to pull the dent when it is on a crease or will most shops just fill it in. Furthermore, my car is a mineral white. Will it difficult to just paint match that spot? Can you guys give me an estimate on how much a good shop will charge me.

Thanks in adv.
Ouch. Right on the crease and took the paint right off? That wonderful person (hope it's not a loved one) must have kicked their door with all their might at your car.

My first instinct is to always look for paintless dent removal shops and see what they have to say. I don't have any current contacts, but I have seen some people who mix paint in small batches, custom match, and feather in touchups for problems like this. It's hard to guarantee results but I have seen some truly amazing work. About 10 years ago I got some nasty damage to the C-pillar of my E39 from a ceiling-mounted firehose cabinet in a parking garage that backed into because I didn't see it over my shoulder or in my mirrors. "PDR guy" and "scratch guy" did an amazing job.

If it's not a lot of paint missing, there's always Dr. Colorchip too. I've had great success with it in the colours I've tried. I don't know if the system works as well for all colours.
Surly73 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
swifty
Major
 
Drives: FO M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

Posts: 1,138
iTrader: (4)

Hey, thanks for the feedback. As much as I'm worried about the paint and I'm also worried about the dent cuz it's very noticeable since its right on the crease.
__________________
__________________
Past: '89 Cutlass, Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Sapphire Black e60 530, Space Grey 2008 e92 335, Mineral White 2011 e92 335

Current: FO e92 M3
swifty is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
jol102001
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Louisiana

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

I had the EXACT thing happen to me last month; except, mine was on the driver door and it was before the mirror, but still on the crease. It happened at Walmart and so I didn't find out who did it. I was worried about my paint matching, so I went to a car dealership body shop. They wanted to fill it (which I wasn't very fond of) and they quoted me $580. I set up an appointment. Once I started talking to people, I started hearing horror stories about his place. I then went to the best body shop around here (recommended by many people) and they quoted me $520. My insurance premium was $500, so I would pay out of pocket. He said he would take my door apart, pop the dent out (not pull it out, like you want), and repaint. The wait was 3 weeks; so, I thought if he has a 3 week wait, then it must be worth it. I got it back last week and I thought for sure I would be able to see something, considering I have Black Sapphire Metallic. I was mistaken. I couldn't see a thing. Trust me, I looked for a good 5 mins.

Just find the best body shop around and you'll be happy.
jol102001 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
swifty
Major
 
Drives: FO M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

Posts: 1,138
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol102001 View Post
I had the EXACT thing happen to me last month; except, mine was on the driver door and it was before the mirror, but still on the crease. It happened at Walmart and so I didn't find out who did it. I was worried about my paint matching, so I went to a car dealership body shop. They wanted to fill it (which I wasn't very fond of) and they quoted me $580. I set up an appointment. Once I started talking to people, I started hearing horror stories about his place. I then went to the best body shop around here (recommended by many people) and they quoted me $520. My insurance premium was $500, so I would pay out of pocket. He said he would take my door apart, pop the dent out (not pull it out, like you want), and repaint. The wait was 3 weeks; so, I thought if he has a 3 week wait, then it must be worth it. I got it back last week and I thought for sure I would be able to see something, considering I have Black Sapphire Metallic. I was mistaken. I couldn't see a thing. Trust me, I looked for a good 5 mins.

Just find the best body shop around and you'll be happy.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I wasn't looking fwd to them filling it in but didn't know it was an option to take the dent out like you described on a crease. There is a really good body shop around here so will get a quote fm em.

It's funny, cuz right when it happened, I was like these kind of things happen in 3s and sure enuff next day something on the highway came flying, hit my mirror housing. Thank God it was covered by 3m film and just left some blue marks. But later that evening I curbed my wheel while parking (totally my fault cuz I was looking at my txt msgs while doing it). Nway I hope I'm done with this string of bad luck.
swifty is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Rotten_Ray
New Member
 
Drives: CT9A
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

http://www.eurobumperguard.com/car_door_protector.html This might be a good investment.
Rotten_Ray is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
swifty
Major
 
Drives: FO M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

Posts: 1,138
iTrader: (4)

what's PDR?
swifty is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Laguna3
E90 NOOB
 
Drives: N55 E92 Msport
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 905

Posts: 260
iTrader: (0)

Paintless Dent Removal.

I didn't mention this in the other thread because you mentioned that paint was absent on the dent.

T (short for Thilan) at DentXpress in Mississauga (416) 220 - 1921
Laguna3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
swifty
Major
 
Drives: FO M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada

Posts: 1,138
iTrader: (4)

Thanks so much guys
swifty is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
GoRomeo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
GoRomeo's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

Posts: 1,918
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [3.00]
I dont have a scratch only about 6 little dents in between my driver/passenger side...sucks! I am very happy I found this. Cant wait to try it.


Anyone tried this before?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190668024787...84.m1439.l2649

I am so eager to try it. After all its only 20 bucks, versus a dent guy who wants to charge me over 100 to remove them.

I will try it and let you know.
GoRomeo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
CharlieBear
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: white on red e92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dallas

Posts: 210
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
I dont have a scratch only about 6 little dents in between my driver/passenger side...sucks! I am very happy I found this. Cant wait to try it.


Anyone tried this before?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190668024787...84.m1439.l2649

I am so eager to try it. After all its only 20 bucks, versus a dent guy who wants to charge me over 100 to remove them.

I will try it and let you know.

Don't do it! lol.

My coworker and I used it on his rental car bc a deer hit him on a couple of times on the side of a white suv.

Does not work on big dents. but smaller ones it might work but you have becareful with the hot glue. bc it might stick on the car! and it'll be a mess to take off, if you don't do it right.

I wouldn't recommend it.

But good luck! I want to know if you have better luck with it. Since it was a rental and I wasn't involved in the accident, I didn't really care.
CharlieBear is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
GoRomeo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
GoRomeo's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

Posts: 1,918
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBear View Post
Don't do it! lol.

My coworker and I used it on his rental car bc a deer hit him on a couple of times on the side of a white suv.

Does not work on big dents. but smaller ones it might work but you have becareful with the hot glue. bc it might stick on the car! and it'll be a mess to take off, if you don't do it right.

I wouldn't recommend it.

But good luck! I want to know if you have better luck with it. Since it was a rental and I wasn't involved in the accident, I didn't really care.

Hi there, thanks for the advice but i was planning to use the arc piece with the sucking cub only. Its possible right? I only have dents about a dime in size between my driver side doors.
GoRomeo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
CharlieBear
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: white on red e92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dallas

Posts: 210
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Hi there, thanks for the advice but i was planning to use the arc piece with the sucking cub only. Its possible right? I only have dents about a dime in size between my driver side doors.
No no, there is no "sucking cub." You HAVE to use the hot glue on the black pieces for it to "work". Then you'll have to risk of scrapping of dry hot glue off your car, which doesn't come off easily.
CharlieBear is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
GoRomeo
Lieutenant Colonel
 
GoRomeo's Avatar
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

Posts: 1,918
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBear View Post
No no, there is no "sucking cub." You HAVE to use the hot glue on the black pieces for it to "work". Then you'll have to risk of scrapping of dry hot glue off your car, which doesn't come off easily.
WTF!! really?? lol ...man I better check the videos before anything. Thanks for the advice man. I will have to wait and see.
GoRomeo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST