E90Post

E92-lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Speed Sensor or worse?

08-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
MikeE90NC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Speed Sensor or worse?

Hi all! I know this is all guessing at this point probably but here is my question.
The other day my ABS, Brake and Low Tire Pressure light all came on indicating that a wheel speed sensor is out. I have replaced the front passenger side before but the one thing that has me a tad bit concerned is this... Those lights sometimes all go off on a cold start but come back on after a minute or so of driving. Then just about every time the lights will go out they immediately come right back on. This usually happens about 3 times then they will stay on for good. I do not recall this happening when I replaced the first sensor. Could this be an indicator of something else being the culprit like the ABS pump or something?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Wolf 335
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Check your alternator for voltage output.

Could be dying.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #3
Len_Beach
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I had anABS sensor fail and it gave intermittent warnings like this.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 05:45 AM   #4
KJMotorsport
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT, E46 M3 SMG, E46 330d

Check the codes if possible. then swap the sensors around and see if the codes then follow (e.g right front to start with, swap the sensor, clear the codes, drive the car if the codes move to the left side happy days)

Had a similar issue, start the car all the DSC related warning lights were on, then they would clear and come back with the EML aswell.

KJ
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 01:11 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

The hermetic seal of the sensor is bad, which allows moisture into the sensor overnight. Once the hub heats up the moisture goes away and the sensor works. Get a new sensor. My car lost the left rear wheel speed sensor and it behaved just like what you described, the lights would come on after sitting overnight, then go away mid drive to work. I scanned the car with my BT and found the sensor went tits up.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0