E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > I need help identifying module codes

11-05-2017, 10:19 PM   #1
C_Nailor
Rep
Drives: X-Drive, 328i

I need help identifying module codes

Good evening everyone, I hope everyone is doing well this Sunday evening.

So I purchased a 2010 328Xi and It has been throwing some module error codes since I bought it and I have been slowly working on them and all of that but now I am not getting anywhere and was curious about some insight.

Unfortunately I do not trust the local Crown BMW dealership we have here in Richmond because I dropped it for an oil change and they handed me a $2,400 quote for an oil pan gasket and a filter housing oring... said it was leaking bad. Well when I got home I jacked it up and there is no oil around the pan or anything like that and of course the filter housing I can see from the top, and nothing. So ever since then i haven't taken it back to them. That leads me to search for a new shop I can trust and a few friends have been taking their Audi's to this local German engineering shop and he told me after a diagnostic that I should sell the car... too many issues and he doesn't know how to fix them. Below are the issues and his recommendations. I have a full two car garage and tons of tools, three full boxes as I was a tech for a while and have been modifying cars for years... only difference is the BMW is unlike anything I have touched due to all the electronic diagnostics it requires.

1-ABS- ABS sensor is what he told me to get for this, "should," fix that one.

2-Brakes- He had no idea? This is weird because I just did new cross drilled and slotted rotors, pads and oem brake wear sensors.

3-Service Engine- Battery cable? A positive batter cable with some sort of box, attached to it?

4-DSC- Vehicle speed sensor in the hub.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 07:08 AM   #2
juld0zer
Captain
Rep
Drives: E82 135i 7DCT

An oil filter housing leak that has been festering for a while can easily be misdiagnosed as a sump leak because the oil dribbles down and air passing thru the engine bay pushes it backwards, along the sump perimeter. They should have quoted you repair of the oil filter housing leak, some labour to degrease thoroughly and reinspect after a week of driving the car.

Do you have the list of codes? I like to clear the codes and then test drive then rescan. Some may be very old codes or not currently active ones.
Appreciate 1
feuer1200