E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > What Coilovers, Swift Springs, HPDE Use and DD Setup Need Input

06-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Island Road
Captain

Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [5.00]
What Coilovers, Swift Springs, HPDE Use and DD Setup Need Input

I have a question on some coilover options for our cars.

I have a 335i FBO soon to be upgraded turbos. I had bmw performance suspension on the car but recently sold that and now have a like new set of KW V3 sitting waiting to be installed. I am contemplating whether or not I should go to something or keep what I have and install them.
I will attend a HPDE at max twice a year, with the occasional Auto X throw in and then car sits for the winter. I do live in Boston so the roads are notorious for not being smooth until you at least jump on the highway.

I have read many reviews on the KW V3 and they are pretty much the goto standard for what it seems that I am looking for. Mostly daily drive with the occasional weekend warrior. Although they don’t have camber plates and the springs are progressive no linear.

I am thinking maybe I don’t need all of what the V3 has, or I can buy a set of coilovers for around the $1200 range that will perform the same and come with camber plates and linear springs.

I was thinking something along the lines of Swift spring setup. I would like some feeback from people who actually have for a coilovers setup, do track days but also use it as a daily. What is it that you wish your coilovers had and if you had to do it again would u change, maybe save a bit go more expensive ect?

Also I am not looking to hear just get the best money can buy aka 4k coilover set ect and I am not looking to spend any more money than what I could get for my KW V3, I will install them if I can’t find a comparable setup that is cheaper.

What I am looking at.

Sonic Tuning Coilovers – Not sure what spring they use but the reviews seem decent around 1k and come with camber plates.

Fortune Auto 500 w\Swift Springs – Linar Springs don’t know too much about the coilovers.

CKS Coilovers w/Swift Springs – No real reviews from 335i owners but all over the F10 forums they seem to love them and come with camber plates.

ST Coilovers – Apparently KW V1 but not stailess. Honestly I would just keep my V3 over these.

Keep KW V3 add Swift springs – This is an option but not sure if I would go this route option.

So let me hear some real world reviews, what you think different options and people who actually do some track events ect.

2008 AW 6MT | BB Flash | Quaife LSD 3.46 | AE Quad | DP'S | DD Hood | Mtech Front | BMW Performance Splitters / Spoiler | Wheels 18lb 18x9 SQ |
      06-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G

Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo

2 DEs and some ax a year? Look for the MOST comfortable set with the most OE like spring rates. In fact, if I were you I'd keep the stock springs and just upgrade the dampers.

But that's probably not going to give you the "drop" you want.

Personally, and PLEASE do not take this as offensive, if you're just starting out in this sport or just doing a couple of DEs a year you probably won't be able to tell the difference between a properly set up, well adjusted, and expensive suspension anyway. I'd get the cheapest CO on the list with the best street drop, because as you get more experience on track and get better at this, you WILL want to get better suspension.

So why pay more right now, only to rip it out and pay up the wazzu again?
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
      06-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #3
Island Road
Captain

Garage List
2008 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
2 DEs and some ax a year? Look for the MOST comfortable set with the most OE like spring rates. In fact, if I were you I'd keep the stock springs and just upgrade the dampers.

But that's probably not going to give you the "drop" you want.

Personally, and PLEASE do not take this as offensive, if you're just starting out in this sport or just doing a couple of DEs a year you probably won't be able to tell the difference between a properly set up, well adjusted, and expensive suspension anyway. I'd get the cheapest CO on the list with the best street drop, because as you get more experience on track and get better at this, you WILL want to get better suspension.

So why pay more right now, only to rip it out and pay up the wazzu again?
Thanks for the response, was wondering if you were going to see this. I was going to post this under "Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques" but figured I would get more responses here. As I don't often track my BMW I do participate in league Cart Racing so i would like to think I would be able to tell the difference from a crappy coilover vs somewhat decent manufacture. I was not planning on having the car corner balanced, although i would like to have it adjusted. No offence taken I don't plan on getting something very expensive anyway unless i heavily get into this but for that I would rather have a dedicated track car. As for keeping the stock suspension can't because that's gone so right now as my car sits is currently has no suspension just on jacks.

I am trying to decide right now if my V3 are worth keeping and if not what company below or maybe another would be recommenced. So if anybody else has any opinions I would still like to hear about your setup for DD and light track use.

2008 AW 6MT | BB Flash | Quaife LSD 3.46 | AE Quad | DP'S | DD Hood | Mtech Front | BMW Performance Splitters / Spoiler | Wheels 18lb 18x9 SQ |
      06-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
dinanm3atl
Enlisted Member

Drives: 24V E30, E70, E32, E30 W2W

I'd stay on your V3s that you got personally. The first 3 options look like BC Racing private label with swift springs added. I'd just install the V3 and enjoy a decent ride and decent performance for the limited track/de/autox.

If you wanted to step down to the basic stuff maybe ISC from BimmerWorld which would put some cash back in your pocket.
      06-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G

Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2013 Veloster Turbo

Actually there's a WORLD of difference between kart suspension and car suspension...But I get your drift. This isn't your first rodeo.

First of all, my personal opinion has always been, opinions on the internet are like a-holes, everyone's got one, so if you're here asking for opinions, be prepared to be bombarded with a ton of differing opinions. My other personal opinion is, that ANYONE posting on an internet forum offering opinions and advice, probably knows a lot less than they let on. Myself included. And the last LAST opinion on these matters are, do whatever you want, none of our opinion should matter.

Now that I got that out of the way. There are a couple of ways to look at this. For a couple of DE's and AX'es a year, the COST of a set of coil overs is wasted on suspension. You'll get much better return on investment and save a ton of $$$ with tires. What I've found is tires that does DD and track, tend to burn through quick in that they heat cycle out due to DD use, and they wear out due to track use. So it's the WORST of both worlds because they'll suck for the track and they'll suck for the street. If I were you, I'd invest that $$$ in an affordable set of wheels (used, replicas, whatever) and a decent set of tires. Both together will probably range in the same price as the middle tier COs. I'd get COs when I am SERIOUS about tracking on a car, especially if you're getting COs for track use. And if after a few events you decide that this isn't for you, you'll get decent $$$ out of selling them just as much as you will for a set of COs.

HOWEVER.

Now that I got my PERSONAL opinion out of the way, despite my somewhat sarcastic response about how you're going to want to change suspension later ANYWAY...It's true. Suspension is one of those things that, if you don't know, you'll never care. But once you do? You'll be kicking yourself for not getting something better to start with. So there are two paths you can go down. You can either choose to buy based on available budget, or you can wait and save for a REAL set of double adjustable MCS with remote reservoir. Trust me...The extra money you spend is WORTH IT on the high end COs, and the difference isn't in the springs, but in the dampers. Good dampers make a huge difference in being able to keep your contact patch as big as possible in each and every turn. So you can spend the money now only to spend your money again, later, or you can just do it once and do it right.

Just my personal a-hole, er, opinion. Oh wait. I guess it's not true, opinions are not like a-holes, since I have more than one...

Having said all that. The KW V3 probably gives you the best route to upgrade in the future if you choose to do so, because out of the bunch you listed, it's probably got the best dampers. But frankly, given your 2x DE and handful of AX criteria, I still think a set of decent, non-run-flat summer tires on used OEM wheels or take-offs or whatever would go a much, much longer way than a set of coil-overs will do for you, for now. And believe you me, that also includes the consideration that a set of coil-overs you'll be able to enjoy whenever you drive, not just on track.
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
      06-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
dinanm3atl
Enlisted Member

Well if we are going that far... +1 on MCS. They are hand built down the road from me. I actually took most of their product photos. I eat lunch once a week with one of their assemblers.
      06-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #7
Island Road
Captain

Garage List
2008 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl View Post
I'd stay on your V3s that you got personally. The first 3 options look like BC Racing private label with swift springs added. I'd just install the V3 and enjoy a decent ride and decent performance for the limited track/de/autox.

If you wanted to step down to the basic stuff maybe ISC from BimmerWorld which would put some cash back in your pocket.
I did not even know about ISC, thanks for pointing me that way. I found a decent review on them for this guy. These are def on the list to consider, given the price and what I have read so far. Do you have any more info on them or know people running them and how the dampers are?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=986840

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Actually there's a WORLD of difference between kart suspension and car suspension...But I get your drift. This isn't your first rodeo.

First of all, my personal opinion has always been, opinions on the internet are like a-holes, everyone's got one, so if you're here asking for opinions, be prepared to be bombarded with a ton of differing opinions. My other personal opinion is, that ANYONE posting on an internet forum offering opinions and advice, probably knows a lot less than they let on. Myself included. And the last LAST opinion on these matters are, do whatever you want, none of our opinion should matter.

Now that I got that out of the way. There are a couple of ways to look at this. For a couple of DE's and AX'es a year, the COST of a set of coil overs is wasted on suspension. You'll get much better return on investment and save a ton of $$$ with tires. What I've found is tires that does DD and track, tend to burn through quick in that they heat cycle out due to DD use, and they wear out due to track use. So it's the WORST of both worlds because they'll suck for the track and they'll suck for the street. If I were you, I'd invest that $$$ in an affordable set of wheels (used, replicas, whatever) and a decent set of tires. Both together will probably range in the same price as the middle tier COs. I'd get COs when I am SERIOUS about tracking on a car, especially if you're getting COs for track use. And if after a few events you decide that this isn't for you, you'll get decent $$$ out of selling them just as much as you will for a set of COs.

HOWEVER.

Now that I got my PERSONAL opinion out of the way, despite my somewhat sarcastic response about how you're going to want to change suspension later ANYWAY...It's true. Suspension is one of those things that, if you don't know, you'll never care. But once you do? You'll be kicking yourself for not getting something better to start with. So there are two paths you can go down. You can either choose to buy based on available budget, or you can wait and save for a REAL set of double adjustable MCS with remote reservoir. Trust me...The extra money you spend is WORTH IT on the high end COs, and the difference isn't in the springs, but in the dampers. Good dampers make a huge difference in being able to keep your contact patch as big as possible in each and every turn. So you can spend the money now only to spend your money again, later, or you can just do it once and do it right.

Just my personal a-hole, er, opinion. Oh wait. I guess it's not true, opinions are not like a-holes, since I have more than one...

Having said all that. The KW V3 probably gives you the best route to upgrade in the future if you choose to do so, because out of the bunch you listed, it's probably got the best dampers. But frankly, given your 2x DE and handful of AX criteria, I still think a set of decent, non-run-flat summer tires on used OEM wheels or take-offs or whatever would go a much, much longer way than a set of coil-overs will do for you, for now. And believe you me, that also includes the consideration that a set of coil-overs you'll be able to enjoy whenever you drive, not just on track.
haha yes exactly, I know they are complete different works and I was not comparing just throwing it out there.

As opinions goes, I take them with a grain of salt but I frequent the Track forums a lot and I know who the valuable players are that actually do track there cars (you included) plus reviews from other sites ect so I try and take everything into account.

As for only a couple of DE's and AX's i know i am not looking to get into anything serious at the moment and I have taken your advise in the past. This is regarding Tires and Wheels well wheels anyway, I ditched the stock heavy wheels for some TRM MT1 18x9 square about 18lb each threw on some Exclaim UHP 255 SQ, I know they are not dz101 or RS3 but I have about 50% tread life that will be eaten away on some AX's and I will be getting something a lot better next so I am halfway there but my rears are going to have to be a lot wider now. MCS are way out of my budget at the given moment, I was looking at AST but I don't see anybody selling them anymore.

I get the point that your are making with the suspension for sure. Glad to hear the V3's have the better dampers out of the bunch, and for what I am doing at the moment I guess any one of those is just going to be fine until I really start to get into things and want to throw down a large chunk of cash on CO with remote reservoir. Honestly I thought it was more in the spring considering everybody was upgrading to the swift springs on all of these looks like i have more reading to do.

As for the CO setup i don't plan on upgrading the KW, I think I would rather sell them for a different brand use the extra cash to put into the tires and grab a decent set of CO and if down the road do the big upgrade to MCS or AST ect.

06-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #8
dinanm3atl
Enlisted Member

I do not have personal experience. Only positive reviews. Give BimmerWorld a call and sure they can answer all your questions.
      06-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #9
Island Road
Captain

Garage List
2008 335i  [5.00]
Well after much debate I have decided that I am actually going to be keeping the V3 but adding swift conversion.

This is what I am looking for the conversion.

Fronts Z60-178-060 - 336 lbs/inch - x 2
Rears - Z60-228-120 - 672 lbs/inch - x 2
Thrust Sheets - Swift 044101 x 2
TC Kline 60mm Upper Spring Seat x 2
Machined lower perches

All said it done it is around $450 burying all the parts and that includes the machine shop. I am still up in the air about the rates, i was also thinking 400/700 but reading a bit more reviews first. I think over all I will be happy with this considering its only $500 more than what I would of spent making a koni / swift CO setup.

Though my research over the past few days trying to sort this all out I am gained a lot about various suspensions setups to the fact I think this is going to be the best option for me until I really want to go all out if that time does come.

06-10-2014, 10:37 PM   #10
dinanm3atl
Enlisted Member

Should be quite enjoyable with that setup.