E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Fannying around!

05-31-2012, 03:32 AM   #23
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Play your cards right tomorrow and Ian might make those dreams come true.
Well I'm here at QST - but no sign of Ian in his lacey french basque or his gimp mask??
      05-31-2012, 04:03 AM   #24
AlwynMike
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E91 335d.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Fair comments Mike,and in my defence I did say in my op that I was far from convinced about the effectiveness of the vid, and whether it gave a true impression of the noise the exhaust generates.

It's very difficult to record the sound,too close to the source (as in the vid) it's drowned out by other noises,too far away and it doesn't register at all.

I'll try a vid from inside the cabin,and a drive by,but the noise is only truely heard whilst underload and @ about 1800rpm.

It's interesting to note your comments about your new back boxes,I'm not sure what you're hoping to achieve with them,I doubt they'll do anything to make the car sound better (I'm hoping to be proved wrong of course),and they won't do anything to improve the performance.

I don't want to appear as negative with the above comments,but after much research and experimentation on exhausts over the years,I never came across a system that offered a better sound, coupled with a proven increase in power that was as effective as a straight through exhaust system.

Why are you waiting for the warranty to expire?
What could BMW possibly void on your warranty by changing the exhaust?
I know exactly what you are talking about, and I wasn't intending to berate you or your car. I haven't had the "pleasure" of listening to my car (or any other 335d for that matter) from the outside being driven with spirit. Correct me if I'm wrong - do our cars just sound like a mass of turbo hiss from the outside???
All I am attempting to achieve from a back box swop is more volume inside the car (I picked them up from a fellow forum member). I'm just being chicken about the warranty thing. I am not aiming for more performance, and the tips aren't much bigger than standard.
My point is that coming from a 530d, which had a nice meaty growl to it when it was asked to perform, the 35d is just too quiet for my tastes. I don't care what it sounds like from the outside - I'm not there, I'm inside the thing!!
You've done more to your car than I ever intend to do, and respect to you for that.
I'm looking forward to hearing your car from the inside and drive-by!!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 04:21 AM   #25
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
I know exactly what you are talking about, and I wasn't intending to berate you or your car. I haven't had the "pleasure" of listening to my car (or any other 335d for that matter) from the outside being driven with spirit. Correct me if I'm wrong - do our cars just sound like a mass of turbo hiss from the outside???
All I am attempting to achieve from a back box swop is more volume inside the car (I picked them up from a fellow forum member). I'm just being chicken about the warranty thing. I am not aiming for more performance, and the tips aren't much bigger than standard.
My point is that coming from a 530d, which had a nice meaty growl to it when it was asked to perform, the 35d is just too quiet for my tastes. I don't care what it sounds like from the outside - I'm not there, I'm inside the thing!!
You've done more to your car than I ever intend to do, and respect to you for that.
I'm looking forward to hearing your car from the inside and drive-by!!

Mike
No worries on your comments Mike,and no offence taken.
You're quite right about the sounds of a stock 335D,lets face it,if it's not sounding tractorish,it is just whistle and hiss,and any diesel car will never sound good like a six pot petrol car.

Fair play on the warranty issue,however I've now had the exhaust fitted to both of my 335D's over the yrs,and my dealer or the techs have never mentioned it other than to compliment my car.

I'll try a soundclip from the cabin, and a drive by
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #26
AlwynMike
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E91 335d.

Quote:
.... any diesel car will never sound good like a six pot petrol car.
Indeed. I think you can't beat the sound of a V8. You can keep 5's, 12's, boxers etc. But I am biassed, 'cos I've got a V8 (in MG guise), with not a baffle in it! Burble along at 30mph in top/overdrive listening to yourself go by, then a manic howl when it comes on the cam! Yes, I do wear a flat cap, but consider the string gloves a step too far.

Mike
Appreciate 0