E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > just installed m3 rear sway bar and m3 subframe bushings



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #45
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
 
SaviorXi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dirty South Jersey

Posts: 451
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysBlueE92 View Post
my bushings are shot..perhaps control arm too. So the rear m3 bits will work on xi? Pricy but Worth it
Well worth the cost and since your stock ones are shot you have to pay the huge labor cost even if you go stock again. You might as well get the M ones.
SaviorXi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #46
JaysBlueE92
Mr. Monaco
 
JaysBlueE92's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow..
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 3,720
iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2007 E92  [2.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorXi View Post
Well worth the cost and since your stock ones are shot you have to pay the huge labor cost even if you go stock again. You might as well get the M ones.
Yeh that was my other question..What I am looking at install cost on this? Should I change out my front bushings as well as rears? My car is high mileage and I've been on KW V3s for the most part.

I'm hoping I can get the parts for around $500 and maybe pay around the same for install?
__________________
JaysBlueE92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #47
MSport35TT
Captain
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NJ & MA

Posts: 676
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2010 BMW 335ix  [0.75]
I surprised many have not done this already. I have V3s with M3 sways and handles of what it should have been since the beginning of owning the car
__________________
TiAg N54 xDrive M-Sport 6MT 2010 I:I N54 I:I CPO-2016
335i SOLD

TMPS Sensor 09+ For Sale
x1 Seat Belt For Sale
MSport35TT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #48
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
 
SaviorXi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dirty South Jersey

Posts: 451
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysBlueE92 View Post
Yeh that was my other question..What I am looking at install cost on this? Should I change out my front bushings as well as rears? My car is high mileage and I've been on KW V3s for the most part.

I'm hoping I can get the parts for around $500 and maybe pay around the same for install?
I have no idea of the install cost since my best friend is a mechanic and he did it for free. I would say about 5 hours shop time for the install. I did not change the front bushings since mine are fine and I don't think there is M specific front bushings.
SaviorXi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #49
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
 
SaviorXi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dirty South Jersey

Posts: 451
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSport35TT View Post
I surprised many have not done this already. I have V3s with M3 sways and handles of what it should have been since the beginning of owning the car
I did not think the M sways alone made much difference. The M bushings really transformed the cars handling though.
SaviorXi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #50
lunchbox
New Member
 
Drives: 335i X drive
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Framingham, MA - USA - EARTH

Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-335...Bar/ES2622885/

the ecs kit for this includes more than the sway bar and the bushings.

OEM sway bar
OEM bushings (2)
OEM bushing bracket (2)
OEM hardware (2 nuts 6 bolts)
OEM sway bar links (2)


Can I assume all of those parts are off the m3? Any idea what the OEM part numbers are?
lunchbox is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #51
ajsalida
Major
 
ajsalida's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

Posts: 1,467
iTrader: (2)

You just need the bar, bushings, and brackets. Shop around, I got a kit from ReevesBMW (vendor here) for 200 shipped. Go to realoem for P/N's and shop prices, or ask around for a kit. There are two bars available, one is for the coupe/sedan one is for the convertible. Get the coupe one, it is a bit thinner than the vert but I read the vert is too stiff for our cars.

It is a non trivial install, you must drop the subframe to get it in and even then it is not easy. On the subframe bushings, that is an even harder job, you may consider popping in some poly type bushing insert/stiffeners, either powerflex or whiteline make them. I went with the latter, same thing and less than half price of p-flex. Either are vastly easier install than OEM once the subframe is dropped. Seems to work well with the bar.

Having done this already I would advise not do the bar without some sort of bushing upgrade, they are just too soft and a bigger bar would make that worse (bar is attached entirely to subframe and other parts attached to subframe, as is the rest of the suspension so if you stiffen up the susp it just transfers higher loads thru subframe bushings to car).

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_..._number=KDT918
ajsalida is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #52
lunchbox
New Member
 
Drives: 335i X drive
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Framingham, MA - USA - EARTH

Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)

Sounds good to me, I figure when I do the new springs and shocks Ill do the rear sway. For $50 bucks and time invested might as well do the bushings. My buddies a Mechanic and will be ordering the bar + parts for me. Hopefully his cost will be cheap!

Have you seen any additional vibration with the stiffer bushings?
lunchbox is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #53
ajsalida
Major
 
ajsalida's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

Posts: 1,467
iTrader: (2)

Hard to parse out what was due to what WRT bushings vs bar since I did them both at the same time. However no additional vibration, just a more planted feel and of course a hell of a lot less understeer. On washboard surfaces (dirt) I noticed LESS vibration/harshness as the susp was doing all the work instead of subframe wallowing around and interfering with motion control.

Before I did this I didn't really believe some of the other complaints about the OEM bushings, but now yeah they are too soft esp with any type of susp or power upgrade.
ajsalida is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #54
thegrinchboy
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '11 E90 N55 xDrive 6MT MSport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH

Posts: 536
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Hard to parse out what was due to what WRT bushings vs bar since I did them both at the same time. However no additional vibration, just a more planted feel and of course a hell of a lot less understeer. On washboard surfaces (dirt) I noticed LESS vibration/harshness as the susp was doing all the work instead of subframe wallowing around and interfering with motion control.

Before I did this I didn't really believe some of the other complaints about the OEM bushings, but now yeah they are too soft esp with any type of susp or power upgrade.
Just put in UUC front and rear sways, the body roll has mostly disappeared but some jumpiness and body shift are back... Probably should have stiffen up the subframe bushings as well... Managed to roll the softer sidewalls of the DWS tires on the on-ramp the other day.
thegrinchboy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #55
ajsalida
Major
 
ajsalida's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SW USA

Posts: 1,467
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrinchboy View Post
Just put in UUC front and rear sways, the body roll has mostly disappeared but some jumpiness and body shift are back... Probably should have stiffen up the subframe bushings as well... Managed to roll the softer sidewalls of the DWS tires on the on-ramp the other day.
Sucks mon. What pressures in the DWS? Are the UUC bars hollow? Rear M3 coupe bar is larger diameter than UUC (22.5 mm vs 19.5) but it is hollow. Does not feel like too much bar at all. I was thinking of going UUC front at some point as it is the only option for XI if I am not mistaken. Also rear UUC bar is adjustable (2 holes) it may be worth putting at soft end if it isn't already.

I run 38-40 lbs cold in my DWS, at least until winter sets in. Firmed up the front Konis to 1 full turn off full soft to compensate for the stiffer rear end. Seems good.
ajsalida is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #56
thegrinchboy
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '11 E90 N55 xDrive 6MT MSport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH

Posts: 536
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Sucks mon. What pressures in the DWS? Are the UUC bars hollow? Rear M3 coupe bar is larger diameter than UUC (22.5 mm vs 19.5) but it is hollow. Does not feel like too much bar at all. I was thinking of going UUC front at some point as it is the only option for XI if I am not mistaken. Also rear UUC bar is adjustable (2 holes) it may be worth putting at soft end if it isn't already.

I run 38-40 lbs cold in my DWS, at least until winter sets in. Firmed up the front Konis to 1 full turn off full soft to compensate for the stiffer rear end. Seems good.
I will most likely softening up the rear UUC and putting the bushing stiffeners at the same time, as you did. Just have to order them and schedule time to everything done again. That's the maddening aspect of this. I almost didn't bother with this part, as I finally just got the ride to what I wanted, except for the body roll at high speed, and that I had already purchased the bars...

My DWS were at 38/41 warm. Increased it to 41/45 warm as I was already at a gas station. Will check again after the tires cool.
thegrinchboy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST