E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Private Plate help



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Danny.B.'s Avatar
26
Rep
1,569
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: England - Lincolnshire

iTrader: (1)

Private Plate help

Hi Guys

Transferred my private plate onto the merc, been waiting since november for it all to go through

Received the mercs V5 today with the new plate assigned to it finally, but no tax disc or certificate to say im ok to get new plates made up

Ive already got my plates made up (merc did them for me) but im unsure if im allowed to whack them on the car yet?!

My head says ive got the v5 so its good to go, but then my thoughts are with the tax disc which will have my old plate on

Do i just wait or go for it?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
makkan00's Avatar
United Kingdom
127
Rep
7,607
Posts

 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

iTrader: (48)

As far as I know, you take your V5 with your old tax disc to the post office and they will change it to a new tax disc with private reg on it. Once you have that on the car, you are good to put the plates on.
PS: Please inform your insurance as well.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
J Dub
Private First Class
J Dub's Avatar
United Kingdom
2
Rep
199
Posts

 
Drives: E90 2007 MSport 2.0d
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South West England

iTrader: (0)

DVLA are a nightmare for things like this. I always got my tax disc with the other bits for the plate (around the same time) yet in the past have had to chase them up for things like the changed MOT cert and so on.
__________________
Cheers J
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
Shere
Second Lieutenant
Shere's Avatar
3
Rep
274
Posts

 
Drives: e92 325i SE Auto (2007)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: West London

iTrader: (0)

Did you give your tax disc info on your application? In which case they should send you a new disc. I wouldn't risk putting the plate on as a pedantic ticket inspector will likely give you a ticket for non matching tax disc. Chase up DVLA for the new disc.

Whenever I have done this the new disc has turned up a good few weeks before the V5
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Danny.B.'s Avatar
26
Rep
1,569
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: England - Lincolnshire

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
As far as I know, you take your V5 with your old tax disc to the post office and they will change it to a new tax disc with private reg on it. Once you have that on the car, you are good to put the plates on.
PS: Please inform your insurance as well.
Insurance will be told as soon as the plate is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Dub View Post
DVLA are a nightmare for things like this. I always got my tax disc with the other bits for the plate (around the same time) yet in the past have had to chase them up for things like the changed MOT cert and so on.
Yeah not got disc or MOT yet, online changed online thursday afternoon though. So hopefully these bits will follow this week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shere View Post
Did you give your tax disc info on your application? In which case they should send you a new disc. I wouldn't risk putting the plate on as a pedantic ticket inspector will likely give you a ticket for non matching tax disc. Chase up DVLA for the new disc.

Whenever I have done this the new disc has turned up a good few weeks before the V5
The Merc garage took some tax info but i cant remember if it was from my BMW or the Merc! I will call the DVLA to be safe

cheers all

Danny
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
E92NeilH
Private First Class
E92NeilH's Avatar
1
Rep
140
Posts

 
Drives: Bmw F20 M135i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lincolnshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I was running around with my private plate on for over a week mate. I didn't realise because BMW was sorting it all out and it went in for a sensor and come out with my private plate on then just over a week later a new tax disc come through the post so I would risk it mate!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Danny.B.'s Avatar
26
Rep
1,569
Posts

 
Drives: E90 330d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: England - Lincolnshire

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92NeilH View Post
I was running around with my private plate on for over a week mate. I didn't realise because BMW was sorting it all out and it went in for a sensor and come out with my private plate on then just over a week later a new tax disc come through the post so I would risk it mate!
Strange that they didnt tell you mate!

Tempted to stick it on tomorrow! All online checks come back OK, its just the tax disc but they'll all be gone soon anyway

DVLA shut now so cant speak to anyone anyway, im just too inpatient
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
E92NeilH
Private First Class
E92NeilH's Avatar
1
Rep
140
Posts

 
Drives: Bmw F20 M135i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lincolnshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny.B. View Post
Strange that they didnt tell you mate!

Tempted to stick it on tomorrow! All online checks come back OK, its just the tax disc but they'll all be gone soon anyway

DVLA shut now so cant speak to anyone anyway, im just too inpatient
Yeah I thought it was strange because there usually good.

That's true October time I think isn't it mate
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 05:34 AM   #9
scotthun
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: 320 coupe
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: St Leonards

iTrader: (0)

Hi samer thing happened to me. I got the new V5 but no tax disc, already had the plates made up. I phoned DVLA and they said the tax disc can take up to two weeks to follow and just to put the plates on with the old tax disc. Did that and about 7 days later new disc and MOT arrived
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #10
BMW-Power
Lieutenant
BMW-Power's Avatar
United Kingdom
8
Rep
448
Posts

 
Drives: F30 330d
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lincolnshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW 330d  [0.00]
They don't send all the documents together, a bit like when you get a new debit card, they send the pin number separately, similar sort of thing, should arrive within a few days.
__________________
F30 330d M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 06:52 AM   #11
Black Steel
Private
England
0
Rep
64
Posts

 
Drives: 320D (184) M Sport Saloon
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent

iTrader: (0)

The transfer went a lot more smoother when the documents (Retention Cert, V5, MOT, Photo Copy of Tax Disc) were sent to the local area DVLA Offices.

You would usually get your New V5, MOT and Tax Disc within a week!

I've heard that these local offices have all but closed (probably to save money).

Now unfortunately, everything seems to be done at Swansea, hence the longer wait!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 08:56 AM   #12
Drrncour
Captain
United Kingdom
6
Rep
614
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Surrey, England

iTrader: (0)

As said you can put on the private plate with the old tax disc, this is what i did recently. Dvla advised me of this, and said that is what to do. The car is still taxed on their system.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST