E90Post

Bimmertech

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Central Door Lock Failure

06-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
MKRK
Registered

Drives: 2008, E90

Central Door Lock Failure

Problem: 2008, E90 central door lock failure. Driversí door would not unlock using the FOB. Both doors on the passenger side would not unlock. These doors could not be opened from the outside or from the inside using two pulls on the door handle. The gas cap door would also not open.

Solution: Opened the driversí door using the emergency key found inside the FOB. Driving the car was not an issue. To refuel, open the battery box cover and locate a green in color pull handle. Gently pull to release the fuel cover door actuator. In consultation with a BMW service advisor, replaced fuse number 73 (15 amp) with a 20 amp fuse. All problems were solved. No need to disconnect the battery. Recommend keeping spare fuses in the trunk to resolve any future mishaps.
      06-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Ranger635
Registered

Drives: 2008 328xi

Just had the same problem with my 2008 328xi sedan. Had if fixed under CPO warranty. They replaced the fuse and then replaced the door latches in BOTH front doors.

After I researched the issue online a bit, it seems like the locks get gummed up over time and begin to draw too much current...if you just replace the fuse with the 20amp fuse, it will work, but it will continue to get worse and eventually even the 20amp will blow and you'll have to replace the latches.
      09-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
smithrh
Lieutenant

Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

Ahhhh....

I was just now locked INSIDE my car for about 20 minutes because of this (or something very very similar).

I got to my destination, and hit the console unlock as I was also getting my workout bag out. Nada. OK, I tried the fob.

Nada.

Pull on the handle - nope.

All the locks were down.

Crap.

Tried the fob a few more times, then thought about it more.

Then realized I had the mechanical key. Started the car, rolled the window down, stopped the car, split the fob, and reached outside to unlock the door.

As of now, the only door I can open is the driver's door, the others I can't open. I can manually open the trunk though, which means I'll be able to fill up while this gets diagnosed...

I'll be taking a look for that fuse shortly.

Of course, I just passed 100,000 miles and it's honestly been trouble-free the whole time - this is an 2006 E90 bought in early 05.
      09-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
Kim_BMW325i

Drives: BMW 325i

I got the same problem on my 2006 e90 none of the door locks are working I replace fuse No. 59 but it keeps on blowing every time I try to use the remote to lock the car.. I haven't check fuse No. 73 so I'll see if that fuse is blown...
      09-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
aleksl
Dinan 2

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrh View Post
Ahhhh....

I was just now locked INSIDE my car for about 20 minutes because of this (or something very very similar).

I got to my destination, and hit the console unlock as I was also getting my workout bag out. Nada. OK, I tried the fob.

Nada.

Pull on the handle - nope.

All the locks were down.

Crap.

Tried the fob a few more times, then thought about it more.

Then realized I had the mechanical key. Started the car, rolled the window down, stopped the car, split the fob, and reached outside to unlock the door.

As of now, the only door I can open is the driver's door, the others I can't open. I can manually open the trunk though, which means I'll be able to fill up while this gets diagnosed...

I'll be taking a look for that fuse shortly.

Of course, I just passed 100,000 miles and it's honestly been trouble-free the whole time - this is an 2006 E90 bought in early 05.
This is why I programmed my car not to lock once I pull away. I just drive with the doors unlocked.
      09-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Kim_BMW325i

Well I tried putting a 20amp fuse and blow it too so what's the last resort?
      09-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Kim_BMW325i

Well I tried putting a 20amp fuse and blow it too so what's the last resort?