E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Loba Motorsport - Experience?

06-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i

Loba Motorsport - Experience?

Hi all,

My preferred local VW indie has just set up an account with these guys and ordered some hybrid turbos for both (the owners) own cars which are a 997 Turbo and a GTI ED30.

Reason I ask is because they also do 335i hybrid stuff and I wondered if anyone had heard of them or used them. Their site is in German, so I couldn't find much out on my own!

Thanks
Matt
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Have found the English site with info on the turbo upgrade.

http://www.loba-motorsport.com/en/pr...-turbochargers

Matt
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Sounds similar to turbo dynamics stage 2.

My money would go to Rob Beck turbos. Or Vishnu big single if I was brave and loaded....
      06-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah I was just curious about this company, not comparing them with others per se.

I know Idnan went with RB as have others (Marcel maybe) but I'm yet to read up on either of their experiences, what the costs are in the uk etc.

Diff etc for me first anyway.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
Marc R
Mr Anderson,we've been expecting you...
Rep

Drives: 335i Touring

Daruis Loba is well known in the Audi scene,delivers good quality and knows what he is talking about.

From what i have read,i would do business with him.
      06-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #6
idnan
Major
England
Rep

Drives: Alpine White 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
Sounds similar to turbo dynamics stage 2.

My money would go to Rob Beck turbos. Or Vishnu big single if I was brave and loaded....
They look more similar to turbo dynamics stage 1 with the clipped turbo compressor.

I managed to import my RBs for less than 3k but I bought a set of very cheap ones on eBay and sent them to him beforehand so I didn't pay any core charges. TD Stage 2s are similar to the RBs but cost a lot more but you get the security of UK customer support and warranty.

The RBs take slightly longer to hit full boost (like 500rpm later) but then it pulls like a train and as long as you map them properly, they hold on to the redline.

IMO, if you're turbos are fine then don't bother as it's only about 30-40 bhp more at the same boost level. If you have rattly wastegates or leaky seals then it is a good option as they have an improved wastegate design. Best of all, the RBs connect up to exactly the same coolant and oil lines and they look the same from the outside.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 03:55 AM   #7
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the comments chaps, I am not thinking about doing this as such - just curious.

I like to have a roadmap in mind as well lol.

Regards
Matt
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Germany
Rep

Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330d E91 LCI

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
They look more similar to turbo dynamics stage 1 with the clipped turbo compressor.

I managed to import my RBs for less than 3k but I bought a set of very cheap ones on eBay and sent them to him beforehand so I didn't pay any core charges. TD Stage 2s are similar to the RBs but cost a lot more but you get the security of UK customer support and warranty.

The RBs take slightly longer to hit full boost (like 500rpm later) but then it pulls like a train and as long as you map them properly, they hold on to the redline.

IMO, if you're turbos are fine then don't bother as it's only about 30-40 bhp more at the same boost level. If you have rattly wastegates or leaky seals then it is a good option as they have an improved wastegate design. Best of all, the RBs connect up to exactly the same coolant and oil lines and they look the same from the outside.
+1

Nothing more to add, summed up perfectly.

RB customer support is really great BTW. I had an installation problem and got replies from him by e-mail within a few minutes, as well as a replacement for a turbo within less than a week.

I haven't posted any detailed review yet as the car does not yet run optimally, which is probably due to the tuning (COBB stage 3 beta). When this is figured out I'll write something up, but in the meantime feel free to ask away if there are any questions.

Alpina_B3_Lux