E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > is white a timeless car color?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #23
GammaZeta
Captain
 
Drives: 1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ma

Posts: 856
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
no
yes
GammaZeta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #24
infinitekid2002
Creepin while ya sleepin
 
infinitekid2002's Avatar
 
Drives: Like a Bat out of Hell
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: City of Angels

Posts: 3,362
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.71]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
yes
fine.
__________________
infinitekid2002 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #25
Davin
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Davin's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 335xi - 92 MB 300E
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Trinidad & Tobago / NYC

Posts: 1,701
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
I think white is one of the most underrated colors out there, and looks pretty spectacular on nearly everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r45t4m4n View Post
? White makes the lines more apparent, I think you are referring to black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wholeymoley View Post
I believe white looks good on any/every vehicle. Never seen a car that didn't look good on white. Unfortunately, I've seen too many people seeking out white, that I'm starting to lean towards other colors.
Agreed
Davin is offline   Trinidad_and_tobago
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2012, 02:24 AM   #26
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
 
arnsbrae's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 520d
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 508
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
yes

And here is the scientific reason why. Other than red, silver has been used on more iconic/famous cars than any other color:

James Dean's Spyder 550, Bond's DB5, Bond's Astin, Bond's Z8, 300SL are mostly silver, Eleanor from Gone in 60 Seconds, Delorean (I know, I know, it's still silver though), Tony Montana's Porsche 928, and on and on and on.

Proof that other than red, silver is the best color to have on a car and white is just a fad.
This reminds me of an old electricity textbook I used to own. The first chapter was a "A proof for the existence of the ether."

For those of you who don't know, people used to think that radio waves were carried on the "Ether." Attempting to prove that was right up there with proving the earth was flat and "silver cars are best 'cos I've seen them in lots of movies!" Lol
__________________
August 2012 F10 520d SE sport automatic, Jet Black, Oyster\Black Leather, light ash wood trim, Professional media/ navigation, mobile apps, Internet, DAB radio.
arnsbrae is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #27
GammaZeta
Captain
 
Drives: 1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ma

Posts: 856
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
This reminds me of an old electricity textbook I used to own. The first chapter was a "A proof for the existence of the ether."

For those of you who don't know, people used to think that radio waves were carried on the "Ether." Attempting to prove that was right up there with proving the earth was flat and "silver cars are best 'cos I've seen them in lots of movies!" Lol
Don't relate my scientifically proven and accepted fact to the Earth being flat!

It's simple, movie makers want to appeal to the most people. Visually stunning cars appeal to the most people. Movie makers use lots of silver cars. Therefore silver cars appeal to the most people and are visually stunning.
GammaZeta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #28
Bimmer84
Guardian of the Night
 
Bimmer84's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i M Sport Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio

Posts: 1,826
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2010 335i E92  [3.75]
Fact: Mercedes only makes silver cars.
__________________
2010 335i M Sport Coupe -- Black Sapphire Metallic|Coral Red|Loaded|JB4 Stage 3|BMS DCI|VRSF DPs|Camaross 6k AE|Performance Gloss Black Grilles|CF Performance Spoiler|CF Quad Diffuser|Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips|CF Roundels|Smoked Reflectors|Red Cyba Scoops|193s Painted Lamborghini Metallic Dark Gray
Bimmer84 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #29
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
 
arnsbrae's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 520d
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 508
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
Don't relate my scientifically proven and accepted fact to the Earth being flat!

It's simple, movie makers want to appeal to the most people. Visually stunning cars appeal to the most people. Movie makers use lots of silver cars. Therefore silver cars appeal to the most people and are visually stunning.
Hehe.

"Proof that other than red, silver is the best color to have on a car and white is just a fad."

If that's true, why are these old movies not full of red cars?

PS
The Saint - white Volvo 1800
Vanishing Point - white Dodge Challenger
Ghostbusters - white Cadillac
Model 117 Volkswagen Type 1 (aka the Beetle), The Love Bug - white
Mr Bean - lime green
Ferrari Testarossa - Miami Vice - white
The Italian Job - white, red and blue mini (no silver...)
__________________
August 2012 F10 520d SE sport automatic, Jet Black, Oyster\Black Leather, light ash wood trim, Professional media/ navigation, mobile apps, Internet, DAB radio.
arnsbrae is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #30
Augenbrauezug
Captain
 
Augenbrauezug's Avatar
 
Drives: mk6 GTI
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denton

Posts: 657
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
yes

And here is the scientific reason why. Other than red, silver has been used on more iconic/famous cars than any other color:

James Dean's Spyder 550, Bond's DB5, Bond's Astin, Bond's Z8, 300SL are mostly silver, Eleanor from Gone in 60 Seconds, Delorean (I know, I know, it's still silver though), Tony Montana's Porsche 928, and on and on and on.

Proof that other than red, silver is the best color to have on a car and white is just a fad.
Very scientific.
__________________
Bimmer-less ATM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Augenbrauezug is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #31
GammaZeta
Captain
 
Drives: 1
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ma

Posts: 856
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
Hehe.

"Proof that other than red, silver is the best color to have on a car and white is just a fad."

If that's true, why are these old movies not full of red cars?

PS
The Saint - white Volvo 1800
Vanishing Point - white Dodge Challenger
Ghostbusters - white Cadillac
Model 117 Volkswagen Type 1 (aka the Beetle), The Love Bug - white
Mr Bean - lime green
Ferrari Testarossa - Miami Vice - white
The Italian Job - white, red and blue mini (no silver...)
You included a Volkswagen Beetle in your listing...therefore your argument is invalid.

And yes, my postings are dripping with sarcasm.

If we can't determine if white is a timeless color now, we'll have to wait a little while longer and revisit the issue.

But you can't argue with black, red and silver as being timeless. Should we include white? Maybe, maybe not. But it seems like white's popularity changes every decade.

BTW: A-Team van was black AND red...therefore making it the greatest color scheme ever.
GammaZeta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #32
TheRox
Colonel
 
TheRox's Avatar
 
Drives: 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Here and there

Posts: 2,312
iTrader: (2)

white is a bit of a fad

in the 90's a white car meant (at least on a honda) that you couldn't afford to pay extra for colored paint.

now it suggests youth and white things look broader, so it tends to add width and presence to smaller vehicles like 3 series.
TheRox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #33
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
 
arnsbrae's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 520d
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United Kingdom

Posts: 508
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
white is a bit of a fad

in the 90's a white car meant (at least on a honda) that you couldn't afford to pay extra for colored paint.

now it suggests youth and white things look broader, so it tends to add width and presence to smaller vehicles like 3 series.
Yes, in the UK, the F30 only comes in two colours without a surcharge. Alpine White and Jet Black. If I remember correctly, at least one Volvo recently was only available in one colour without a surcharge. I think it was the S80.

It might be my imagination, but I seem to remember that cars used to be available in a wider range of non metallic colours without a premium.

White definitely makes cars look bigger, which may be why the F10 and E Class don't look good in white...
__________________
August 2012 F10 520d SE sport automatic, Jet Black, Oyster\Black Leather, light ash wood trim, Professional media/ navigation, mobile apps, Internet, DAB radio.
arnsbrae is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #34
Gangsta D
Lieutenant
 
Gangsta D's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 e88 128 vert/ '14 e84 X1 s
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Route 66 [So. Cal]

Posts: 583
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
White, silver and black are the most popular color to have, they are timeless. light colors hide the dirt and show off the cars lines. White is for car owners who don't really take good care of the paint, it hide most of the defects on the paint[dirt,nicks, swirl marks, ect.] or better known as EASY CARE paint... some owners with white can go months without washing their cars, that is great if you don't care about your appearance .... but black is the best color to have when you want a clean car to pop out and be noticed... I have had five black cars and after owing them i will say i'm getting a different color like silver or white. but for some reasoned i will walk away with another black color I guess i'm a fan of black, and it give most cars more of a masculine look over other colors... so white, silver and black are timeless colors, they are best [car] colors
Gangsta D is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST