E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Advice Please / Sytner and BMW GB

06-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #23
Raj59
BMW Miniature Collector!

Drives: E60 LCI 525i M Sport A

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
My local Sytner garage only cares about grabbing your money. Everytime I've phoned up to enquiring about things it's almost like I'm asking them to do me a favour. The one time I did actually end up taking my car there I was treated like a idiot, and when I enquired about additional work on the car (BMW powerpack) I was promptly greeted by the 'computer says no' response and a blank expression of total disinterest. Ended up with me asking for my keys back and taking the car else where for service.

Compare this to my local independent whom has just serviced my car, started chatting with the owner of the garage, ended up with him looking up how to fit downpipes and talking about his sons 335d. The independent might not have a massive reception area, 'free' coffee machines, or a fleet of loan cars but actually seem to genuine care/excited about cars, which in my book is a fundlemental requirement of a good garage. The actual mechanics at Sytner might be very good but theres just too much window dressing in the way at my local Sytners....no wonder they charge 90 a hour for labour!!

Was that Ash at Garage 786?
Raj59 is offline   United Kingdom
      06-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #24
mikeoz
Private First Class

Drives: bmw 335i

Sytner are rubbish. Avoid at all costs they should not be an approved bmw dealer.
      06-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #25
omaragha
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i DCT E93

Coudlnt agree more - I will be trying Coopers in Reading unless anyone has a bad story with this dealer as well ?
omaragha is online now   United Kingdom
      06-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #26
edowen
Major

Drives: E90 320d Ed, 640d M, 5.0 TVR

I dont get the "Sytner are rubbish" statement.

I've come across good and bad in all chains tbh. My recent 6 series came from Sytner Oldbury and the experience was tip top.
      06-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #27
omaragha
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by edowen
I dont get the "Sytner are rubbish" statement.

I've come across good and bad in all chains tbh. My recent 6 series came from Sytner Oldbury and the experience was tip top.
Everyone has an opinion and that is his ?
      06-11-2012, 02:37 AM   #28
rich1068
has left the building

Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Well yes it is his opinion but it's also an inaccurate generalisation.
rich1068 is offline   United Kingdom
      06-11-2012, 03:17 AM   #29
Sir_Pigley
Captain

Drives: 525d M Sport

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to Sir_Pigley
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Well yes it is his opinion but it's also an inaccurate generalisation.
I have had excellent treatment from Sytner in Coventry, so I agree that you cannot generalise.

Diagnosis fees are irritating, but it depends upon the precise conditions surrounding them.

If they don't charge the diagnosis fee in the event that the fault is found to be within warranty, or if BMW accept the goodwill claim, then I think it is fair enough.

The issue is often the way they ask for authorisation of the fee. Often it is just a standard bit of spiel that the service desk person states. This can be especially irritating when it is OBVIOUS what the fault is, or that there is a known problem.

The failure of service desk people to acknowledge a known fault, or the fact that they ask for the diagnosis fee when the problem is bleedin obvious is very annoying. All too often garage reception staff don't think for themselves and just spout the diagnosis fee authorisation request and that is what irritates those of us who know what the matter is with the car.

All too often service desk staff assume the customer does not know what they are talking about, they don't listen and they don't note down what the customer has said. Hence the amount of diagnosis time is unecessarily lengthened.

This issue is not unique to BMW, it is common to large main dealers. Often this is why independants give better service, because when you book the car in you are not talking to some poorly qualified desk staff, but someone who may well end up working on your car - hence they listen to you!
Sir_Pigley is offline   United Kingdom
      06-11-2012, 03:41 AM   #30
Adil
Private First Class

Drives: E46 330ci M Sport

Omaragha, I live in your kneck of the woods. If you decide to stop using main dealer for work and need a good indy to use which is what I always do then try out K&M Autotechniks, there great. I hate using dealerships cause there jsut a rip off. The sytner in questions was awful when it was a stratstone. Not sure how it is now though since it became sytner as i've only ever been in their to pick up certain parts.

http://www.kmautotechniks.co.uk/
      06-11-2012, 04:11 AM   #31
omaragha
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adil View Post
Omaragha, I live in your kneck of the woods. If you decide to stop using main dealer for work and need a good indy to use which is what I always do then try out K&M Autotechniks, there great. I hate using dealerships cause there jsut a rip off. The sytner in questions was awful when it was a stratstone. Not sure how it is now though since it became sytner as i've only ever been in their to pick up certain parts.

http://www.kmautotechniks.co.uk/
Hi Mate, they are still awful, in fact worse now as Sytners !!

Thanks for the pointer on K&M, I know Kevin and Mick and have have used them in the past and agree they know their onions.

Also have 'Birds' in Langley that is down the road also - that being said I am going to try and get some good will out of BMW lolololololol as the steering wheel lock failure is very common and to be honest should of been a recall.

Thanks.
      06-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #32
davyk31
Brigadier General

Drives: Audi SQ5 & Golf GTD

Oh dear, sounds like Anneka could be busy when she gets back from holidays, a few unhappy customers or non-customers in this post. Sytner now need someone filling in for her while she is off so they can still monitor the forums.
      06-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #33
omaragha
Lieutenant Colonel

I dont think Sytners give a shit about a few disgruntled BMW owners lurking on some forums. They are too big and making plenty of money I am sure, although to be honest Anneka does a good job its a shame she is not backed up by the dealers she represents.
      06-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #34
RichJ
First Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M-Sport 330i Le Mans Blue

I would generally agree that my service and warranty experiences have been poor with various Sytner dealerships and I now avoid. Furthermore they are expensive for servicing etc compared with others in the vicinity. Been pleased with Dick Lovett and Westerly. It's a shame and i genuinely expected more from a premium brand dealership.
RichJ is offline   England
      06-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #35
Anneka @ Sytner

Drives: -

I wish I'd picked this up earlier so that I could provide the advice that was requested.

In this particular situation I'm afraid that the BMW Technician's diagnosis is of utmost importance. BMW Warrantry may grant good will in retrospect of a repair, but for a service advisor to put forward a request full documentation must be provided. I hope you understand.

Regarding the lift to your home/ curtosy car arrangements, I'd advise you to call the dealership directly and speak with the service manager who may be able to arrange for a member of staff to provide a lift home for you. Our Bookings Advisors at our Bookings Centre are only able to arrange collection/delivery or curtosy cars.

We also have good connections with Enterprise/Arval and can arrange a discounted loan car for you (paid to them and not to us) should you not be able to wait for one of our curtosy cars to become available.

All the best.
Anneka @ Sytner is offline   United Kingdom
      06-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #36
omaragha
Lieutenant Colonel

Hi Anneka,

I spoke to the service manager directly - also if you have read from the begining of this thread this is now the second kick in the teeth from Sytners. I took my wifes E93 in to Maidenhead for some warranty work - because Listers in Kings Lynn did some previous work on the car (by previous owner) I had to send her car to them on a transporter - they are located 129 miles away - they also dropped off a brand new mini as a coutersy car. I live 1.5 miles away from Sytner in Maidenhead.

With respect to my own car - I have to spend 90 to find out what I already know (although you term it full documentation) even though there are TSB's detailing what is a well known issue on E9x cars. Even after that there is no gurantee I will get any good will from BMW, if I am hoping for Sytners to fight my cause I give myself as much chance as England winning the Euros ie Naff all. Notwithstanding the fact that Paul Bennett (service Manager) is as much use as a chocolate tea pot - apparently he seems to be more focussed on the Olympic torch relay he was involved in.

Anyway which ever way you dress this up Anneka it is shoddy and not something I woudl expect from Sytners - although looking at this thread it seems to be the norm - its funny how Listers over 129 miles away could arrange a transporter and a coutersy car at a drop of a hat, whilst Sytners in Maidenhead dont seem to give two hoots to a customer who owns 2 high end 3 series cars.

Or am I looking at this wrong ?
      06-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #37
davyk31
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post
I dont think Sytners give a shit about a few disgruntled BMW owners lurking on some forums. They are too big and making plenty of money I am sure, although to be honest Anneka does a good job its a shame she is not backed up by the dealers she represents.

Of course they care ........ that's why Anneka is paid to review forums and help out disgruntled customers. Its not because they care so much its because they don't want the bad publicity. The customers they don't seem to give a **** about are the ones who have bad experiences but don't report it on forums.
A bit more care by the dealership staff would hopefully mean these type of experiences do not arise as often, thats where their investment needs to be.
Anneka does seem to do a good job and helps plenty of people on here but why is that needed is the core issue?
      06-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #38
davyk31
Brigadier General

Needing prior notice and arrangement to run you home 1.5 miles really sounds over the top! 10 mins trip for ANYONE in the dealership.
      06-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #39
omaragha
Lieutenant Colonel

Exactly - in fact they offered to provide me numbers of a local cab firm lol - so maybe they do care :-p
      06-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #40
omaragha
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaragha View Post

Of course they care ........ that's why Anneka is paid to review forums and help out disgruntled customers. Its not because they care so much its because they don't want the bad publicity. The customers they don't seem to give a **** about are the ones who have bad experiences but don't report it on forums.
A bit more care by the dealership staff would hopefully mean these type of experiences do not arise as often, thats where their investment needs to be.
Anneka does seem to do a good job and helps plenty of people on here but why is that needed is the core issue?
Well let's see what happens to help me out - I won't hold my breath
      06-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #41
wheelie good
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW

To me it sounds like can't be bothered to try and get any goodwill from BMW UK and just trying every trick in the book to piss you off, so you go elsewhere. Much more interested in charging customers 200-300 for one of them trickey oil changes
      06-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #42
omaragha
Lieutenant Colonel

I wonder if I turned up with a puncture would I need diagnostics ?
      06-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #43
wheelie good
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW

He he, yar the technician would stick the diagnostics wire in yer brain just to confirm your stupid enuff to pay 350 for another proxy rear run flat bridestone tyre
      06-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #44
omaragha
Lieutenant Colonel

Ok, ive decided to play this one out - at least I can post publically back to the forum to let you know how I get on. If Anneka can help ease my pain it would be welcomed and I think its the least Sytners owe me after the debarkle with my Mrs E93.

Watch this space - last and final chance for the local dealer.