E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > M3 rep front / Mtech Rear Installed!

06-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Zasquatch
Captain

Drives: '07 BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
M3 rep front / Mtech Rear Installed!

I just finished installing my bumpers this weekend. The project started after my landlord backed into my car. I got an Mtech rear bumper, courtesy of his insurance company, from modmy3.com.

Customer service was beyond awesome, and shipping was fairly quick, considering the size of the box and distance traveled. There was a slight mixup from their distributor, and I ended up with an LCI bumper instead of pre-LCI like I ordered. This ended up working out just fine, however, as the LCI diffusor is much better looking in my opinion. The only fitament issue were the side locking tabs, that are in different locations on LCI vs. preLCI. I simply cut them off, as I saw them as un-necessary anyway. Once the tabs were sorted out, the fit was damn near perfect. My only complaint is that there are 'ridges' on the edge of the bumper where the mold must have terminated. Since the bumper was pre-primed, having the body shop sand them out and re-prime would have been considerable cost. I left it and It looks great... I am the only one who will ever notice them. I give the quality and fit overall an 8 out of 10. Not too shabby. I love the way the black diffuser makes the Cyba brushed stainless tips pop.

Next - A week after finally finishing up my insurance claim for the rear, some moron hit my front bumper. It wasn't that bad, but I decided to use this opportunity to get a new front bumper out of it. I was torn between the Mtech and M3 rep, and didn't like the idea of putting "M3 stuff" on a non-M. The increased cooling capacity that comes with the M3 rep really won me over. Again, I contacted Marie at Modmy3.com and she took care of me. Unfortunately they only supply the M3 reps with these really cheesy cheap-o HWS nozzles installed. The nice low cost of their bumper was quickly offset by a $200 charge at the bodyshop to fill in the holes properly. The price was still not that bad overall, and the end result looks fantastic.

I also did the fog delete, but my original plan did not work out too well. I purchased the OEM M3 air ducts, and they fit the bumper perfectly... They did not fit in the cavity behind the bumper though! I trimmed and trimmed and could not get them to fit in the area between the bumper and wheel well cover. Perhaps e92's have more room in there, but on my e90 it just was not going to work. Not to mention there was no room for my oversized intake filter. I decided to just go without, and in the end I think it looks and performs quite well without the ducts. My auxiliary air filter sits directly behind the driver's side opening - I was concerned at first that rain would be an issue, but not so much anymore. The nylon pre-filter should repel most water, and if I were to hit a huge puddle, the design of the Mr.5 system should re-route airflow through the OEM airbox path. I don't expect this to be an issue at all, but I will avoid puddles a bit more carefully from now on The other important bit to note is that the FMIC now gets full air exposure. The OEM bumper cut off just about half of the bottom of the FMIC. The M3 rep exposes the entire surface to incoming air. I was VERY pleased to see this. Fit and finish would probably be a 7 out of 10. The fit around the headlights was very tight, and there were mold ridges under the headlights. One very important bit to note though, is that this version of the M3 rep extends far enough to use the underpan. It bolts right up to the OEM underpan with no issues at all. I was happy to see that.

I think the end result speaks for itself, really looks killer in Montego Blue Metallic.

Lastly, thanks again to Marie at Modmy3.com! Her customer service was fantastic!

Last edited by Zasquatch; 06-11-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Zasquatch is offline   United_States
      06-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Blindside_137
Brigadier General

Drives: '09 E93 Space Gray 328

Looks great!

Way to take advantage of unfortunate accidents!
      06-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
E90Company
Major General

Drives: 335i

Just the review I was waiting for!! Thanks so much

EDIT: Do you think you could PM me the ridges you were talking about?
      06-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
AceBMW
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Just the review I was waiting for!! Thanks so much

EDIT: Do you think you could PM me the ridges you were talking about?
not following you i swear lol. i just was trying to do more research on the rear bumper.

to OP, looks really good from what i can tell. if i pull the trigger with modmy3 i hope i don't have to much to worry about. did you buy the left & right guides or just went with what you had in place??

Last edited by AceBMW; 06-14-2012 at 08:15 PM.
AceBMW is offline   United_States
      06-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
psquires
Private First Class

Drives: 08' 335I E90

Looks great! How much were those exhaust tips from cyba?
      06-17-2012, 03:29 AM   #6
Sales@modmy3.com

Drives: Stock

Zasquatch, thank you so much for the great review and your pictures look amazing! We've been wondering how everything went for you, so we're happy to hear you're all set!

For anyone who has a pre-LCI and needs the LCI right and left side guides, you're welcome to use my 10% CCA discount for them. It's not much, but it'll save you a little gas money. Email us at sales@modmy3.com and we'll help you out.

Keep modding,
Marie
      06-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
bluesteel
Enlisted Member

Drives: E90

Looks good man, still have to put my bumper on
      06-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
Zasquatch
Captain

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceBMW View Post
to OP, looks really good from what i can tell. if i pull the trigger with modmy3 i hope i don't have to much to worry about. did you buy the left & right guides or just went with what you had in place??
There really wasn't much to worry about lol. In the end it came out awesome, and it looks perfect in person. It just took a little work to get there that's all. Nothing major, and the results speak for themselves. I can't stop staring at the car now

As I mentioned in the first post, I kept my guides and just snipped off the two tabs that interfered with them. It was literally a 20 second fix to get it to fit.
      06-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
Zasquatch
Captain

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psquires View Post
Looks great! How much were those exhaust tips from cyba?
Thanks!

I honestly don't remember... i think a hundred something. Shoot them a PM and they will help you out. The brushed SS looks killer in person, I highly reccomend that finish.
      06-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
AceBMW
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 335xi

cool. i'm anticipating the rear bumper switch soon. your car's rear is looking pretty sweet after the swap
AceBMW is offline   United_States
      06-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
The Wildcard
Private

Drives: 335i

Zasquatch, did you have a local body shop paint the bumper as I assume it came only primed?
      06-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #12
Zasquatch
Captain

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wildcard View Post
Zasquatch, did you have a local body shop paint the bumper as I assume it came only primed?
Yes, a local shop painted both bumpers and filled in the HWS holes.