E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Your best road/journey..

06-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #23
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
The roads in mauritius are quite fcuked up....and people don't really stick to the traffic code...

The beaches in Mauritius aren't that great if you compare them to the Seychelles...

Good to hear that the island is still nice by your description OP! :-)
lol, yes no one sticks to any rules there, and to be fair there isnt really a road map available, Its just one highway from one end of the island to the other, but all the side routes and coastal roads offer stunning views. Iv heard seychelles is beautiful, Im not sure much about mauritius beaches, as we had hired a private apartment with its own private beach in Mahebourg, which im told was on a road of government houses?

If I could add to the list, I would say dirving anywhere in India is must do. If you guys thought Mauritius is bad, imagine dirving down a road, happily pootling along with a rickshaw tut tutting away in front of you, and a cow to the left, children and women running accross the road with large buckets of water balanced on their head, and what seems like scholls of motorcyclists swarming in and around you, all this whilst somehow wondering if the lorry hurtling towards you on the wrong side of the road, will actually make an allowance for you to live.
A_P is offline   United Kingdom
      06-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #24
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E46 M3

Guys, there is stunning pics and stories in here, I never considered driving accross australia before, sounds immense. Begining of next year me and the mrs and another couple are doing a Euro trip, but a bit more romantic-y.

And my cousin is still hell bent on driving from here to his wedding in india in 2 years time. The plan, which he has cuninngly devised is, by an old toyota land cruiser. make sure its running good, apply for all visas from here, and have the journey of a life time.!!
Howevever im not so sure about that one.
A_P is offline   United Kingdom
      06-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #25
Cyprio
Captain

Drives: 2014 Audi S4 B/Edition

The most fun driving I have experienced was the 'Amalfi Drive' in Italy.

The scariest was the 'Panamericana' from Lima Peru, heading North to a place called Piura. Lots of hairpin bends and sheer mountain face drops with no feckin barriers!
Cyprio is offline   United Kingdom
      06-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #26
Mart1000
Capt Slow

Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

Best trip I ever took was a biking trip through France for 10 days. Roads were amazing, weather was bang on and everything was just perfect. Loads of snatch in San Tropez so we stayed there for 2 days. Worst part was passing a copper on the autoroute at 160 ish, thought that was game over but he was cool about it.

Deffo gonna do it again next year.
      06-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #27
SCN_Saul
http://www.seatcupra.net

Drives: E91 335i M Sport

Send a message via MSN to SCN_Saul
one of the best ive ever done was a trip we took around kielder forest, some of the best roads ive ever driven on, 'ring and black forest included
SCN_Saul is offline   United Kingdom
      06-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #28
phil200tdi
Colonel

Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

I've always fancied doing this:

http://www.theadventurists.com/the-a...s/mongol-rally

We could have an e90post team!
      06-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #29
phil200tdi
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
Great thread

I've had a few big road journeys; maybe the one that actually gave me a sense of achievement was when I was working in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam and went solo by small motorcycle to Hanoi, via the inland Ho Chi Minh Trail route.

I felt like I'd achieved something because I'd only been riding a bike a year or so, it was a long trip, in a remote area (although with some quite large cities too) and I was going alone.

I let it slip I was going in the office and my boss actually cancelled my leave due to fears for my safety. Well not fears for my safety, fears that I'd kill myself and that would upset the project schedule. I had to sneak off a couple of months later without telling anyone where I was going. He was pissed at me for 2 years when he found out.

Just before I left, as I was doing a lap of Ho Chi Minh City on the way out, I actually wondered to myself if I'd bitten off more than I could chew and was going to come back alive.

BUT: It was a great trip, I had no incidents at all and just a minor amount of engine trouble when water got into either the carburettor or electrics after some heavy rain.

I wrote the trip up here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348262
Great trip with awesome photos.

I travelled in Thailand, Laos and cambodia but not Vietnam. Now on the to do list..
      06-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #30
chris_s1
Major

Drives: 2012 E92 335d MSport

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
Great thread

I've had a few big road journeys; maybe the one that actually gave me a sense of achievement was when I was working in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), Vietnam and went solo by small motorcycle to Hanoi, via the inland Ho Chi Minh Trail route.

I felt like I'd achieved something because I'd only been riding a bike a year or so, it was a long trip, in a remote area (although with some quite large cities too) and I was going alone.

I let it slip I was going in the office and my boss actually cancelled my leave due to fears for my safety. Well not fears for my safety, fears that I'd kill myself and that would upset the project schedule. I had to sneak off a couple of months later without telling anyone where I was going. He was pissed at me for 2 years when he found out.

Just before I left, as I was doing a lap of Ho Chi Minh City on the way out, I actually wondered to myself if I'd bitten off more than I could chew and was going to come back alive.

BUT: It was a great trip, I had no incidents at all and just a minor amount of engine trouble when water got into either the carburettor or electrics after some heavy rain.

I wrote the trip up here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348262
That's an awesome trip, you are very brave to attempt it!

I went to Vietnam last year, Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi are very crazy places! Can't imagine what working there must have been like!
chris_s1 is offline   United Kingdom
      06-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #31
notan///m
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '15 M3 (on order)

Garage List
Great thread. Thought I'd add some from previous drives. Like the OP, the Swiss/Italian/French Alps are my favorite. Did some of the Italian and French Riviera too which was quite nice.

Trinidad North Coast

Moorea, French Polynesia

North Coast, Oahu

Tunnels near Lake Como

Stelvio Pass

St Moritz

French/Italian Riviera (A8/Coast)

06-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #32
phil200tdi
Colonel

Great pics!