E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Custom TD03 Turbo Upgrade



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
SuperBmw
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 514
iTrader: (5)

Custom TD03 Turbo Upgrade

Spoke to a company about getting some work done on my turbos and this is what they said they can do for me.

"We can upgrade the journal bearing, turbine wheel, compressor wheel, compressor housing and turbine housing.

We will make the wheels larger and machine the housings."


Total cost: about half of an RB Turbo setup


Now my question is, in theory should these turbos be a good upgrade over the stockers? Is there something else I should ask them to upgrade as well?

Would I need to send them a fully functional set of turbos for this or would a set of blown cores be fine with what they are upgrading?
SuperBmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
enrita
Major General
 
enrita's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

Posts: 7,323
iTrader: (0)

ask them to upgrade WGs, good luck.
__________________
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
enrita is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 04:42 AM   #3
jippii ensio
Major
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: On the road

Posts: 1,201
iTrader: (0)

"Upgrading turbine housing" means retaining the stock housing but machining it, correct?
If they promise to do it, good for you, not too good for them.
jippii ensio is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
scottp999
Brigadier General
 
scottp999's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i - E92 - 6MT & 4runner SR5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MD

Posts: 4,629
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
Not nearly enough detail. >by .001 mm is larger. What rate will they flow? etc., etc. What experience do they have in general and on TD03, customer feedback?
__________________
Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (Devil's Own 12 GPH Nozzle/Aquamist Flow Sensor/Labonte VC25), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.
scottp999 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Lulz_M3
Banned
 
Drives: AW 335i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jax, Fl

Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (0)

Try it out, report back and let us know how it goes. Just be sure to get baseline numbers and post turbo upgrade numbers.
Lulz_M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
secretsquirrel
Colonel
 
secretsquirrel's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i nFifty4LiFe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: land of the squirrel

Posts: 2,074
iTrader: (2)

Show them the numbers that RB's gain and make them promise a certain percentage of those same gains.
secretsquirrel is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #7
Sered
Lieutenant
 
Sered's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E93 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL

Posts: 565
iTrader: (0)

Does no one offer anything like cramming a TD04 into a TD03 exhaust housing? It'd be hella sweet to have twin 14b or 13g compressors or something similar.
__________________
'09 E93 M3 6MT, H&R sports, VMR710 19x9.5+22f 19x11+25r, Michelin PSS, VF540, AA TPs
'09 Z4 sDrive35i, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, DCT, Premium Pkg, Ivory Leather pkg
Sered is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
07tundra
Major
 
Drives: TUNDRA
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Mexico

Posts: 1,104
iTrader: (9)

I would def be interested in this I'm about to pull the trigger on RB's!
07tundra is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
Lulz_M3
Banned
 
Drives: AW 335i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jax, Fl

Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
Does no one offer anything like cramming a TD04 into a TD03 exhaust housing? It'd be hella sweet to have twin 14b or 13g compressors or something similar.
Custom mani's, twin Disco Potatoes FTW.
Lulz_M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
bryce
Banned
 
Drives: zhp 3-pedal
Join Date: May 2010
Location: texas

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (22)

Garage List


i'm selling my stock turbo's that i was holding onto to a local guy, that is going to make upgraded turbo's. i'll see if i can get details, and sway him into looking at twin disco potato's. i've always wanted that setup on a 335i


bryce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
Rob@RBTurbo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO

Posts: 1,083
iTrader: (4)

Send them the turbos, then see what they say (like all the others before you who have tried the same thing and failed).

In all honesty I thought the same thing until I got them in hand and realized its a total nightmare.

Good luck though,
Rob
Rob@RBTurbo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
bryce
Banned
 
Drives: zhp 3-pedal
Join Date: May 2010
Location: texas

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
thanks rob. i know one day it will happen. [people used to say the same thing about a single turbo on this platform]

CP-e showed off a twin turbo setup several months back, i haven't heard anything on that in a while.
bryce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #13
Rob@RBTurbo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO

Posts: 1,083
iTrader: (4)

Didn't mean to imply that no one else can do the upgrade process. Simply stating that the failure is in that it is not something you can do cheaply, as I thought the same thing until I saw that they are designed to essentially not be upgradeable.

Many have made their efforts contacting shops around the globe and have been told the same thing about the ease and cost, but they can not truly have an understanding of what they are talking about until the have the product in hand. At that point, they will likely say "we can do this for this amount"... and it all changes.

I do however fully support checking it out though, please report back your findings. Simultaneously you can search for the countless others who propose the same thing and then fall off the map after the scope of work is truly identified, after a couple years on the forums I've seen it numerous numerous times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
thanks rob. i know one day it will happen. [people used to say the same thing about a single turbo on this platform]

CP-e showed off a twin turbo setup several months back, i haven't heard anything on that in a while.
Rob@RBTurbo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
StanDizle4Shizl
Private
 
StanDizle4Shizl's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 AW 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: STL/IL

Posts: 88
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulz_M3 View Post
Custom mani's, twin Disco Potatoes FTW.
Love the disco potato, had one on my old s13.
__________________
2007 Alpine White E92 6MT / Sports Package / Black Interior / Brushed Aluminum Trim / OEM Aero Lip / Injen Intakes
StanDizle4Shizl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #15
Dr. G
Brigadier General
 
Dr. G's Avatar
 
Drives: Black e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brampton, Ontario

Posts: 4,946
iTrader: (32)

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [4.35]
I'm the person who introduced OP to this idea and company.

The cost isn't cheap, but basically the company wants a non-company affiliated car to have the turbos on it and they are willing to take a loss on the sale price to get the info out there. They have already done one set of the turbo's, but since it's on their own car they feel as if it won't be credible just yet so they want a second vehicle to confirm/credit the results.

I was originally offered the set of turbo's, but due to the labour cost involved in the swap I passed up on them. If I had the ability to do a turbo swap on my own I'd give them the green light tmrw to send me the turbos and I'd report back to all of you.

With what they are saying they do to the turbo's it sure sounds like there would be some gains. Sometimes I feel like going ahead and just sending them some OEM turbos to do the upgrade and then just cover the install labour, but other times I feel like for my car it won't be worth it due to the 6at.
__________________
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Dr. G is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
bryce
Banned
 
Drives: zhp 3-pedal
Join Date: May 2010
Location: texas

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBeck View Post
Didn't mean to imply that no one else can do the upgrade process. Simply stating that the failure is in that it is not something you can do cheaply, as I thought the same thing until I saw that they are designed to essentially not be upgradeable.

Many have made their efforts contacting shops around the globe and have been told the same thing about the ease and cost, but they can not truly have an understanding of what they are talking about until the have the product in hand. At that point, they will likely say "we can do this for this amount"... and it all changes.

I do however fully support checking it out though, please report back your findings. Simultaneously you can search for the countless others who propose the same thing and then fall off the map after the scope of work is truly identified, after a couple years on the forums I've seen it numerous numerous times.
No disrespect was meant or implied. I was just pointing out that nay-saying and negstivity doesn't di anything positive for the community

Since you're who you are, ill say upfront that I have nowhere near the experience or understanding with the stock turbo housings and locations.

I do know that the buyer of my turbo's has no intentions of reusing or upgrading the stock exhaust manifold or turbo's. He's going to make new turbo manifolds that will fit standard turbo's. Like t3. Or disco potato's



bryce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #17
scottp999
Brigadier General
 
scottp999's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i - E92 - 6MT & 4runner SR5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MD

Posts: 4,629
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
I'm the person who introduced OP to this idea and company.

The cost isn't cheap, but basically the company wants a non-company affiliated car to have the turbos on it and they are willing to take a loss on the sale price to get the info out there. They have already done one set of the turbo's, but since it's on their own car they feel as if it won't be credible just yet so they want a second vehicle to confirm/credit the results.

I was originally offered the set of turbo's, but due to the labour cost involved in the swap I passed up on them. If I had the ability to do a turbo swap on my own I'd give them the green light tmrw to send me the turbos and I'd report back to all of you.

With what they are saying they do to the turbo's it sure sounds like there would be some gains. Sometimes I feel like going ahead and just sending them some OEM turbos to do the upgrade and then just cover the install labour, but other times I feel like for my car it won't be worth it due to the 6at.
If the shop already did it, then they should have some comparison pictures, some stats on flow capability, pre and post dyno's, etc.
__________________
Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (Devil's Own 12 GPH Nozzle/Aquamist Flow Sensor/Labonte VC25), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.
scottp999 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
scottp999
Brigadier General
 
scottp999's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i - E92 - 6MT & 4runner SR5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MD

Posts: 4,629
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
Does no one offer anything like cramming a TD04 into a TD03 exhaust housing? It'd be hella sweet to have twin 14b or 13g compressors or something similar.
See Rob Beck for TD04L-15T's....and yes, they are "hella sweet".
__________________
Rob Beck Turbos, PROcede Rev. 3, Procede Fueling Flash (via OpenFlash Tablet), PPS Methanol System (Devil's Own 12 GPH Nozzle/Aquamist Flow Sensor/Labonte VC25), DCI, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance Suspension, Autobahn Exotics Exhaust, Helix FMIC, AR Design Downpipes, BSH Catch Can, Forge Diverter Valves, P3cars Vent Boost Gauge, Alufelgen CSL Reps, Lux 5.1 H8 Angel Eyes, HPB HID Fogs, LTBMW M3 Side Skirts, BMW M3 Rear Spoiler, BMW Front Aero Lip, BMW Pedal Kit, BMW M Shift Knob, Autotecknic Matte Black Grilles.
scottp999 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #19
Dr. G
Brigadier General
 
Dr. G's Avatar
 
Drives: Black e92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Brampton, Ontario

Posts: 4,946
iTrader: (32)

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [4.35]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
If the shop already did it, then they should have some comparison pictures, some stats on flow capability, pre and post dyno's, etc.

I got a bunch of PM's so let me provide all the details here so I don't get anymore Q's


So basically as I posted a while ago, I have a good friend who's dayjob is repairing turbo's and rebuilding turbos. I spoke to him about the upgrade and I made a post about it on here, but people kind of shot down the idea and since he didn't know what to do about the wastegates he didn't want to tackle the job anymore and just put me in contact with some companies who do a lot of turbo kits or make the parts for some of the well known kits we see people re-branding and selling.

I contacted a couple of the companies, but none of them had interest in a "modified OEM" setup, they pretty much only do kits they build from scratch. Just about a week ago I randomly got a response back saying that they had done a 335i which was either a workers car or a shop car or whatever it was and that if I was interested they have something ready to go for me at X amount of dollars... it was a very high $$ amount. So I decided to use my negotiating/bullshitting skills from years of import and export and I buttered them up pretty good.

Basically in order the convince them that the 335i had a market for their product I had to feed them some bullshit and I kinda lied and told them that I can tune/install the turbos myself and I have blah blah experience and my company can sell "XX" number of units and I am rready to purchase immediately upon solid proof of what the turbos can do. They said that if I'm dead serious rather then me doubting them and having double thoughts, they would do a very very special deal on a set of turbo's for me because they are confident that after I install them and see what they can do firsthand I'll be ready to buy from them wholesale.

The good news from this was that I got their attention and got a deal, the bad news is that no I can't install them myself so it will cost me labour to install and if they turn out not so great labour to remove.

So I passed on the deal to superbmw and 2 other local friends of mine and told them to discuss amongst themselves if any of them would like to takeup the offer.

Problem # 2 - They don't sell turbos retail and don't want to be involved in retail business, they only do wholesale orders or they provide branded products for companies that sell kits. So we'd need someone to either buy like 20 sets or a company to pretend they make them and sell them as their own product like they do with everything else they sell.
__________________
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Dr. G is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #20
Sered
Lieutenant
 
Sered's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E93 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL

Posts: 565
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulz_M3 View Post
Custom mani's, twin Disco Potatoes FTW.
GT28RS's are large compared to the TD04 though right? That would be pretty sweet, but if you have to use a new manifold, I'd rather just drop a modern single in there.

Now if Shiv worked his magic and got FFTEC to setup a twin sequential (or even a twin-scroll single with sequential-like action on the exhaust housing), I'd be all over some twins.
__________________
'09 E93 M3 6MT, H&R sports, VMR710 19x9.5+22f 19x11+25r, Michelin PSS, VF540, AA TPs
'09 Z4 sDrive35i, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, DCT, Premium Pkg, Ivory Leather pkg
Sered is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #21
Sered
Lieutenant
 
Sered's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E93 M3 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL

Posts: 565
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
See Rob Beck for TD04L-15T's....and yes, they are "hella sweet".
I had no idea RB's turbos were 15Ts, nice!
__________________
'09 E93 M3 6MT, H&R sports, VMR710 19x9.5+22f 19x11+25r, Michelin PSS, VF540, AA TPs
'09 Z4 sDrive35i, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, DCT, Premium Pkg, Ivory Leather pkg
Sered is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #22
E90SoFlo
Banned
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Naples, FL

Posts: 2,675
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post

I got a bunch of PM's so let me provide all the details here so I don't get anymore Q's


So basically as I posted a while ago, I have a good friend who's dayjob is repairing turbo's and rebuilding turbos. I spoke to him about the upgrade and I made a post about it on here, but people kind of shot down the idea and since he didn't know what to do about the wastegates he didn't want to tackle the job anymore and just put me in contact with some companies who do a lot of turbo kits or make the parts for some of the well known kits we see people re-branding and selling.

I contacted a couple of the companies, but none of them had interest in a "modified OEM" setup, they pretty much only do kits they build from scratch. Just about a week ago I randomly got a response back saying that they had done a 335i which was either a workers car or a shop car or whatever it was and that if I was interested they have something ready to go for me at X amount of dollars... it was a very high $$ amount. So I decided to use my negotiating/bullshitting skills from years of import and export and I buttered them up pretty good.

Basically in order the convince them that the 335i had a market for their product I had to feed them some bullshit and I kinda lied and told them that I can tune/install the turbos myself and I have blah blah experience and my company can sell "XX" number of units and I am rready to purchase immediately upon solid proof of what the turbos can do. They said that if I'm dead serious rather then me doubting them and having double thoughts, they would do a very very special deal on a set of turbo's for me because they are confident that after I install them and see what they can do firsthand I'll be ready to buy from them wholesale.

The good news from this was that I got their attention and got a deal, the bad news is that no I can't install them myself so it will cost me labour to install and if they turn out not so great labour to remove.

So I passed on the deal to superbmw and 2 other local friends of mine and told them to discuss amongst themselves if any of them would like to takeup the offer.

Problem # 2 - They don't sell turbos retail and don't want to be involved in retail business, they only do wholesale orders or they provide branded products for companies that sell kits. So we'd need someone to either buy like 20 sets or a company to pretend they make them and sell them as their own product like they do with everything else they sell.
I can do group buy's, I have done them before and usually they work out very well, It seems you have told them you're a company and you would be stocking them, but they might be interested in a group buy just to see how many people are interested in the BMW market?
E90SoFlo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST