E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Which Bodykits are Wind-tunnel Tested??

07-08-2007, 01:02 PM   #23
Don Nguyen
Banned
Rep

Drives: '99 M3 Vert, '95 M3 Coupe, 964

Send a message via AIM to Don Nguyen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
we're limited to 155 mph, and I've been out to a few different tracks in a decently powered car and hit about 118 at a max. Even on big tracks like Laguna, Buttonwillow, Thunderhill you're not going that fast.

I know you're selling these kits to pay your bills, so you've got a vested interest in keeping the uninformed uninformed, but it's funny that these people actually think they're making their car handle better or go faster by taping some plastic to them.
Did you not see the post I made before the one you quoted me on?

I am not trying to sell body kits, by making random claims.

I even stated that on the street, most likely any aero benefits is going to be negligable, if there are even any, for that given body piece.

However, you have to admit, a splitter, even a generic one, is going to provide you with some downforce, due to the physics of high/low air pressures above/under the splitter.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 08:53 PM   #24
RSXtypeS
Rep

Drives: RSX

Hi, thanks all for the informative replies.

As my nick suggest, i have been a Acura/Honda owner for the past 10 years. The last car i owned was the RSX type S. This is the first bimmer i own.
As with all my previous cars, i outfitted them with A-spec or Mugen bodykits.
It was all these positive experiences that convinced me that a bodykit is not just for looks but functional as well. For Honda/Acura, wind-tunnel tested kits include A-spec/Mugen/Cwest. I have the chance to tour the mugen factory in Japan and have witnessed the aero tests done on their kits.

On switching over to the E90, i was quite discouraged by the lack of info on the functional aspect of bimmer tuners kits. exception would be M-tech kit, though i like my ride to standout among others, the least i want is to foil the aero on the stock car by slapping on a "looks only" kit...
Appreciate 0